Robert E. Howard Readers discussion

Members' Area > Robert E. Howard Bar Guide

Comments (showing 1-11 of 11) (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bobby (new)

Bobby Dee | 44 comments One of the things those who did not attend Howard Days this year missed was getting their own personal copy of the Robert E. Howard Bar Guide - one part an alcoholic history of our favorite Prohibition-era Texan writer, and one part a discussion of the different drinks he mentions in his letters and fiction, supplemented with period recipes culled from contemporary cocktail guides and excerpts from the local newspaper. I did a 200 copy run for Howard Days (spiral bound, so you can lay it out flat), but since a few folks have asked, here is the link to the PDF - which you view or download at your pleasure.

https://app.box.com/s/1i2ue8pl8tg79tl...

message 2: by Jim (new)

Jim (JimMacLachlan) | 494 comments Thanks, Bobby! I glanced at the beginning. Looks very interesting.

message 3: by Lars (new)

Lars Leonhard (larsleonhard) | 6 comments Yeah thanks Bobby! Much appreciated. I wish I had been there and gotten a physical copy!
How do you find the Howard Days? I saw Ben Friberg's videos on Youtube and would love to go next year.

Sincerely
Lars

message 4: by Bobby (new)

Bobby Dee | 44 comments Lars wrote:
"How do you find the Howard Days? I saw Ben Friberg's videos on Youtube and would love to go next year."

They're fun; I'm not much of one for conventions, but HD is pretty intimate. Good fun, good people.

message 5: by Lars (new)

Lars Leonhard (larsleonhard) | 6 comments Good to know Bobby!
I think I will make the trip from Denmark one day.. As a huge fan I just have to do that!
Conan drew me into REH's fiction a few years back and recently I got all the DEL REY books:
https://twitter.com/lars_leonhard/sta...

Thanks again for the pdf! Good job!

message 6: by Bobby (new)

Bobby Dee | 44 comments Thanks!

message 7: by Cindy (new)

Cindy Tomamichel | 8 comments Thanks Bobby - looks interesting. Prohibition must have been a very different time to live in, with an influence on many aspects of life I imagine.

Glad REH days went well. I loved visiting the museum last year, but alas too far for casual visits.

message 8: by Lars (new)

Lars Leonhard (larsleonhard) | 6 comments For anyone interested in the Howard Days that just took place checkout Ben Friberg's videos on Youtube. So much great stuff!

Here you will find readings, discussion of bibliography, interpretations and presentations of REH's work, travel and historic and photographic information.

https://www.youtube.com/user/warriorp...

message 9: by Michael (new)

Michael (Dolphy76) | 366 comments Thanks for this Bobby. I planned to go this year again but had some health challenges and couldn't make it.

message 10: by Ó Ruairc (last edited Jul 18, 2017 06:39PM) (new)

Ó Ruairc | 160 comments Ho, ho great stuff, Bobby! I read the entire thing, and got a real kick out of it. This "Robert E. Howard Bar Guide" is not only interesting and informative, it's pretty damn funny too. For instance, on page 13, there is a letter written to Tevis Clyde Smith which REH typed while drunk, or pretending to be drunk (I don't know which), but it is hilarious.

I recognized some of REH letters, as I have read them before in other volumes, but what is cool about this "Bar Guide" is the detailed additional information the editor includes that helps explain some of these letters. Howard's input aside, this piece is good reading for anyone interested in the history of beer, whiskey, wine, and other "lickers" - especially during the Prohibition Era.

message 11: by Bobby (new)

Bobby Dee | 44 comments Thanks, Ó Ruairc!