Hobb-A-Long Read-A-Long discussion

Book Updates & Discussions! > 1. Assassin's Apprentice - Reading Updates

Comments (showing 1-31 of 31) (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Isabeau's Literary Musings (IsabeausLiteraryMusings) | 10 comments Mod
This thread is strictly for general reading updates as you're reading the book. How far through you are/general feelings/references are okay, but please don't include anything that could spoil the story for people who aren't reading at the same pace as you. Post in the spoiler discussion thread once you've finished the book instead!

BetweenThePages | 3 comments I just requested the book from the library so hopefully I will be getting it in the next few days.

message 3: by Shelby M. (new)

Shelby M. (Read and Find Out) (ShelbyMachart-ReadandFindOut) | 14 comments I should be starting Assassin's Apprentice at some point this weekend!

message 4: by AryaTheFangirl (new)

AryaTheFangirl I officialy started reading Assassin's Apprentice this morning I'm a little over 100 pages in and I'm really enjoying it!

message 5: by Linda (new)

Linda (Linda_Klinedinst) | 2 comments I will start reading this today...I am reading this on my Kindle Tablet. It cost $2.99 for the Kindle Edition of this book.

message 6: by Shelby M. (new)

Shelby M. (Read and Find Out) (ShelbyMachart-ReadandFindOut) | 14 comments I've just started it this morning! One chapter in, and it's an intriguing start.

message 7: by Shelby M. (new)

Shelby M. (Read and Find Out) (ShelbyMachart-ReadandFindOut) | 14 comments Jordan wrote: "Just finished chapter 2 of Assassin’s Apprentice and already intrigued with this book. At the same time I just had my first, of what I assume to be many, moments of “HOW COULD YOU, ROBIN HOBB!?!?!?”"

I KNOW EXACTLY WHAT YOU'RE REFERENCING!!!

Today I read the first four chapters, and I'm not entirely sure what I think of it yet. I'm not accustomed to having such a young protagonist (though I realize he grows up with the story). It will be interesting to see how this progresses.

message 8: by Jordan (new)

Jordan Edwards (Jordan_Edwards) | 2 comments I feel the same way, Shelby. I’m not accustomed to such a young protagonist either. But I am enjoying the world building and such care for details. I am interested to see how he ages and what Robin Hobb does with future books.

message 9: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey Joy (aubreyjoy) Currently 2 chapters in and I'm loving it!!

message 10: by Lisa (last edited Jul 02, 2017 04:28AM) (new)

Lisa (Lisathebooklover) | 21 comments I started re-reading it yesterday. I was tempted to just skip it and move straight on to Royal Assassin but I'm really glad I decided on a re-read because there is so much I had forgotten! I found the first few chapters a bit slow the first time around, but not this time. It hooked me straight away.

I'm (shamefully) only two chapters through because I'm spending like 99% of my free time writing 😭 the second chapter has me completely hooked though! For such a young protagonist, Hobb has written him so believably. I really want to know where this story goes?????

message 12: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (Lisathebooklover) | 21 comments Isabeau's Literary Musings wrote: "I'm (shamefully) only two chapters through because I'm spending like 99% of my free time writing 😭 the second chapter has me completely hooked though! For such a young protagonist, Hobb has written..."

I agree, he is written so well. I often struggle with child protagonists as I find them unbelievable or difficult to relate to, but not Fitz. I am totally invested in his story.

message 13: by Kayleigh (new)

Kayleigh Didion | 1 comments I started on Friday waiting in the different panel lines at comic con so not too far in yet, but really enjoying it all the same.

message 14: by Samantha (new)

Samantha (httpswwwgoodreadscomnovelsandnon) | 189 comments Mod
Robin Hobb said she based adolescent Fitz (particularly teen Fitz) off of her sons at the time. In terms of his behavior. I think that's why he's so believable compared to other adolescent male characters

message 15: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (Lisathebooklover) | 21 comments Samantha wrote: "Robin Hobb said she based adolescent Fitz (particularly teen Fitz) off of her sons at the time. In terms of his behavior. I think that's why he's so believable compared to other adolescent male cha..."

I hadn't heard that before. Thanks for sharing, Sam. I think you can definitely tell that having first hand experience of sons helped her with her writing of Fitz. And of course, it helps that she is a just great writer full stop ;)

message 16: by Lisa (last edited Jul 04, 2017 02:32PM) (new)

Lisa (Lisathebooklover) | 21 comments Kendal Elizabeth wrote: "Despite knowing the events of chapter two were going to happen, they still wrecked my soul"

Same! I think they actually hit me a bit harder the second time around ☹️

message 17: by BetweenThePages (new)

BetweenThePages | 3 comments I am still waiting for my copy from the library :(

About to just check out the ebook at this point.

message 18: by Lisa (last edited Jul 07, 2017 09:04AM) (new)

Lisa (Lisathebooklover) | 21 comments I have only got about 120 or so pages to go too. I have loved the reread and can't wait to move on with Royal Assassin.

message 19: by Shelby M. (new)

Shelby M. (Read and Find Out) (ShelbyMachart-ReadandFindOut) | 14 comments I've got about 80 pages left! It's really picking up.

message 20: by Alan (new)

Alan | 2 comments Just finished the first chapter. Here we go!!

I'm almost 100 pages in now and loving it!!! I wish I had more time in the day to read because it's SO GOOD. So on point with the world building. Slowly falling in love with the characters too... Hobb has done an amazing job and I'm not even half way in!

message 22: by Shelby M. (new)

Shelby M. (Read and Find Out) (ShelbyMachart-ReadandFindOut) | 14 comments Finished it last night!!

message 23: by Lilkadykitty :) (new)

Lilkadykitty :) | 5 comments I am going to jump in! starting this one now!

message 24: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Sepúlveda | 1 comments I'm loving this book!

message 25: by Lisa (last edited Jul 12, 2017 05:26AM) (new)

Lisa (Lisathebooklover) | 21 comments I finished my reread earlier today. I enjoyed it just as much this time around as I did the first 🙂 I hope to start the next book soon, but it may not be until next week as I have a couple of other books to read first. I'm very much looking forward to seeing where the story goes next!

message 26: by Jennie (new)

Jennie Geiman | 3 comments I just finished Assassins Apprentice few days ago and loved it! It's definitely a beginning book but I love Fitzs overall character growth... especially his relationship with Burrich. I can already tell that the Fool is going to be one of my favorite characters although he's not in it very much. I heard the fool becomes more central later on though. Is that true? I am going to start book two right now.

message 27: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (Lisathebooklover) | 21 comments Jennie wrote: "I just finished Assassins Apprentice few days ago and loved it! It's definitely a beginning book but I love Fitzs overall character growth... especially his relationship with Burrich. I can already..."

I really like the Fool as a character too, Jennie. I am currently reading Royal Assassin and he is in it a bit more than he was in this one. Also, yes, it sounds very much like he becomes more central later on 👍😃

message 28: by Jennie (new)

Jennie Geiman | 3 comments Lisa wrote: "Jennie wrote: "I just finished Assassins Apprentice few days ago and loved it! It's definitely a beginning book but I love Fitzs overall character growth... especially his relationship with Burrich..."

Awesome! I just started Royal Assassin as well. It is going to be really good I think. :)

message 29: by Katelyn (new)

Katelyn (PeaceLoveBooks1) | 2 comments I'm late to the party, I'm on chapter 11 of Assassin's Apprentice and I LOVE it, I'm so happy I found this group so that I was pushed to pick up this series.

message 30: by Tenisha (new)

Tenisha (tdsw) | 1 comments I took "at your own pace" very literally and have yet to even crack the cover of Assassin's Apprentice, but it's been sitting in a (very pinterest-y) pile of books on my staircase for months and I walk past it every day (for shame). Finally going to dive into it this evening and am VERY excited to catch up in the Hobb-a-long. At my own pace (ie very slowly).

message 31: by Alfred (last edited Sep 19, 2017 04:38PM) (new)

Alfred Haplo (alfredhaplo) | 1 comments In reference to earlier comments re Fool being a more central character - Yes, he is featured more prominently in book#3 Assassin's Quest, and much, much, much more so in the 2nd trilogy Tawny Man. Fool's on par with Fitz as my favorite character. Enjoy.