What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Green Phoenix
This topic is about Green Phoenix
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Dryads and possible invasion? [s]

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Delanie (new)

Delanie | 39 comments I read this book sometime in the mid-eighties. Unfortunately I'm pretty sketchy on details that might help (can't remember the protagonist's name, for example)...it seems like she was a dryad, that there were lots of creatures from mythology. She might have become pregnant by the leader of the invading marauders (and he might have had a blond beard). I keep thinking the title had something to do with a phoenix, but nothing comes up. Sorry I have so little to go on.

message 2: by Ketutar (new)

Ketutar Jensen | 40 comments Hmm... maybe something by Ursula le Guin?

message 3: by Alycia (new)

Alycia (alyciac) | 47 comments Are you sure it was mid-eighties? I thought of Magic Kingdom for Sale--Sold by Terry Brooks. One of the characters is a dryad named Willow and there are lots of mythological characters. Publication date is early nineties, however.

message 4: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37567 comments Mod
Delanie could that be your book?

message 5: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6980 comments Mod
Pawn of Prophecy series has a half dryad as the main female character. Thought I'd add that to the suggestions.

I've sent Delanie a PM, she's still active in GR so hopefully she'll come check out our suggestions.

message 6: by Delanie (new)

Delanie | 39 comments Oh, thanks! Sorry I hadn't checked back in a while, mea culpa!

Definitely not Terry Brooks, nor yet Pawn of Prophecy (read both of those). I figure early '80s because it was a book of my mother's that I read when I was around 10, which would put it at about '84. There were fauns, I think, as well, maybe one of them was inappropriate with/attracted to this dryad.

message 7: by Dylan (new)

Dylan (dyarch) | 139 comments Possibly Green Phoenix by Thomas Burnett Swann?

Here's a review that provides a better summary than any of the Goodreads ones:
http://www.sfreviews.net/greenphoenix...

message 8: by Delanie (new)

Delanie | 39 comments YES!!!! That is the book exactly, I even remember the cover! Totally awesome, Dylan! Thank you!!!!!!!

message 9: by Dylan (new)

Dylan (dyarch) | 139 comments Happy I could help. And it only took four years.

message 10: by Delanie (new)

Delanie | 39 comments HAH! At least this is a great example of why you should always periodically check back on posted threads...somebody will come through!

message 11: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37567 comments Mod
I wonder if four years is some kind of record.

message 12: by MB (new) - rated it 3 stars

MB Taylor | 23 comments And as an added bonus Queens Walk in the Dusk was just reprinted.

message 13: by Delanie (new)

Delanie | 39 comments Awesome, I have never read that--didn't know there was a companion novel! I will definitely have to pick it up.