Wild Things: YA Grown-Up discussion

Introductions > Hello from Korea

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michelle (last edited Aug 03, 2009 07:56AM) (new)

Michelle Kang | 20 comments Hey, you.
My name is Michelle and I was introduced to join this group by Hayes (Thanks, Hayes!:)). Since I'm a high school student living in South Korea, I really want to read and discuss various kinds of books written in English. I already read some books, and I was so interested in reading English Books.
Poor as my English is, I believe that I'll be better and better owing to your help. I really hope to meet some nice and congenial people.

An Neong Ha Sae Yo, everyone!
(Hi, everyone! in Korean..)

message 2: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) Welcome Michelle! Good to see you over here - we'll love to exchange recommendations with you. I think your English is very good already. Probably better then mine in many respects!

My favourite book in this world is I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith. Also, A Northern Light (also known as A Gathering Light) by Jennifer Donnelly is a great book and those two make a good pair.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Welcome to the group! I hope you enjoy discussing books with us! :)

message 4: by Heather (new)

Heather Ohana (blackdotbug) welcome! what types of stories do you like to read?

message 5: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 719 comments Michelle! 안녕하세요! Where in Korea do you live?

I'm from Texas, but when I was a senior in high school (2000-2001), my family and I lived in Chinju. (My dad worked for KAI (Korean Aerospace Industries). A year and a half ago, my family moved back to Korea, where my dad is working for the same company again. They live in Sacheon now, south of Chinju.

I love Korea! I miss it--the people, the freedom I had there, the shopping... the food... ;) I had a wonderful, wonderful time in Korea.

Anyway... WELCOME! If you're anything like the Korean students I knew when I was over there, you're already fabulous at English. But a little practice doesn't hurt!

message 6: by Hayes (new)

Hayes (hayes13) Hi Michelle, I see you found Wild Things!! Welcome!!

message 7: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (JenJen1221) | 623 comments Hi Michelle, nice to see you here!

message 8: by Michelle (last edited Aug 04, 2009 08:27AM) (new)

Michelle Kang | 20 comments Hi, Fiona. Thanks for your warm welcome AGAIN, and also compliment of my English. I'm so flattered.
I'm currently reading the last chapter of The Great Gatsby, and I haven't dicided what to read next. I want to read something interesting and also instructive...

message 9: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Kang | 20 comments Hi, Linda Grace. Nice meeting you :)

message 10: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Kang | 20 comments Hey, Heather.
Because I still have difficulty making myself understood in English, first, I like stories that are easy to understand, regardless of those genres:). As I'm at the learning stage, I think I should read all kinds of books If it's possible..

The most impressive book I've read so far is "All Quiet on the Western Front", and I can't forget all the scenes in the book!!

message 11: by Michelle (last edited Aug 04, 2009 08:28AM) (new)

Michelle Kang | 20 comments HELLO & 반가워요 Sara:) What a nice surprise to see you! I used to live in many cities when I was young, because of my father's job, now I'm living in Gwang-Ju.
I totally agree that Korea is one of the most beautiful countries,and I also love Korea. But, sometimes, it is not too much to say that Korean student are living in the 'Exam Hell'..(That's why I've admired western education which has lots of creativity and freedom.)Or, maybe, I should thank Korea's Education for making me concentrate on learning English and for giving me the chance to meet you here.:)

message 12: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Kang | 20 comments Hi & Thanks, Hayes. You recommended me a really GOOD site. I already met very kind and nice people here. I appreciate it again...

message 13: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Kang | 20 comments Hi, Jennifer. Nice to see U 2 :)

message 14: by A. (new)

A. (aekirk) | 16 comments Welcome! How fun to have an international group and fabulous cultural perspectives!

message 15: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) Hi Michelle! Welcome to Wild Things. I also think your English is terrific.

Here's my favorite recommendation for you: I Am the Messenger. I found it very inspirational. And it doesn't hurt that the author is really nice to look at. ;)

Enjoy Wild Things Michelle!

message 16: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 719 comments Awesome! Welcome again! (And I Am the Messenger really is a great book! I just read it for the second time in 3 months!)

message 17: by Michelle (last edited Aug 06, 2009 06:37PM) (new)

Michelle Kang | 20 comments Hey, Alyssa. I totally agree with you and, THANKS for friending :)

message 18: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Kang | 20 comments Hi Laura. I appreciate your recommendation.. and I added this book to 'to-read'. I really should read this book after finishing my book 'The Catcher in the Rye' which I'm reading now..

message 19: by Lisa Julianna (new)

Lisa Julianna (LisaJulianna) HI Michelle,

Welcome to the group!!!

message 20: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Kang | 20 comments Hi Sara. You read this book TWICE in 3months ?!? Wow, pretty awesome. Was it THAT interesting ??

message 21: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 719 comments Well, it WAS really good, but it's more because I have the worst memory of anyone I've ever met. I looked back to see what the date I'd last read it, and was surprised to see how recently it was...

message 22: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Kang | 20 comments Wow..'the worst memory of anyone'.. It's so bittersweet. As you said so, I'm very willing to read this book..

message 23: by Bhumi (new)

Bhumi | 274 comments Hi Michelle, and welcome to the group! Have you read any good books lately?

I just finished City of Ashes (the second in a trilogy) and I gave it 5 stars! It was amazing.

By the way, your English isn't poor at all. :)

message 24: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Kang | 20 comments Hey Bhumi. Thanks for your warm welcome :) Actually, I'm reading 'The Catcher in the Rye'. Before reading this book, I had read 'The Great Gatsby'. Hard as it was, I think it's pretty amazing and touchful book..

And thank you for your compliment of my English. I'm so happy to hear that.