YA Buddy Readers' Corner ♥ discussion

The Secret Life of Bees
This topic is about The Secret Life of Bees
BUDDY READ: Historical Fiction > The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd - Starting June 7th 2017

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Sarah Elizabeth (bookworm_sarah) | 83364 comments Mod
Set in South Carolina in 1964, The Secret Life of Bees tells the story of Lily Owens, whose life has been shaped around the blurred memory of the afternoon her mother was killed. When Lily's fierce-hearted black "stand-in mother," Rosaleen, insults three of the deepest racists in town, Lily decides to spring them both free. They escape to Tiburon, South Carolina--a town that holds the secret to her mother's past. Taken in by an eccentric trio of black beekeeping sisters, Lily is introduced to their mesmerizing world of bees and honey, and the Black Madonna. This is a remarkable novel about divine female power, a story women will share and pass on to their daughters for years to come.

Amanda  (mommy2gb) | 663 comments At chapter 3 - When I first started this book I wasn't sure it would hold my interest. But - I absolutely love the relationship between Rosaleen and Lily. Almost like a tough grandma.

Abby | 5454 comments Chapter 4: (view spoiler)

Chapter 7: (view spoiler)

Chapter 10: (view spoiler)

End: (view spoiler)

Abby | 5454 comments Amanda wrote: "At chapter 3 - When I first started this book I wasn't sure it would hold my interest. But - I absolutely love the relationship between Rosaleen and Lily. Almost like a tough grandma."

Yes, they're great! Especially when they get mad at each other.

Amanda  (mommy2gb) | 663 comments Chapter 6: (view spoiler)

Amanda  (mommy2gb) | 663 comments Chapter 11: (view spoiler)

Amanda  (mommy2gb) | 663 comments End: (view spoiler)