What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Orbiting spaceship stealing memories each night. [s]

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Matt (new)

Matt Horam | 7 comments I thought this was a Philip Jose Farmer story, but I can't seem to google it. The story opens with people confused that their morning paper has the wrong date...turns out the date is correct, but the orbiting UFOs are stealing people's memories one day at a time. They try to leave themselves enough notes to make progress but as the rate of theft increases, people spend too much of their day catching up with the events of intervening years, and their age, let alone the alien crisis.

It is, to this day, the most terrifying story I've ever read.

message 2: by Kris (new)

Kris | 35128 comments Mod
Matt, around what year did you read this book?

Is this a short story or a full-length novel?

message 3: by Matt (new)

Matt Horam | 7 comments Late eighties, short story in an anthology of some sort? My memory is not to be trusted, ironically.

message 4: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Holland | 124 comments I was interested in the story, did some googling, and think it may be:
Sketches Among The Ruins Of My Mind by Philip Jose Farmer

message 5: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Holland | 124 comments Found a report on the story Sketches Among The Ruins Of My Mind here, sure sounds like it:
http://www.orionpressfanzines.com/art...

message 6: by Andy (new)

Andy Love | 2095 comments Yeah, this is definitely "Sketches" - I read it in a collection called Strangeness Strangeness. I seem to recall that Farmer originally planned this as a Star Trek story.

message 7: by Matt (new)

Matt Horam | 7 comments Thanks! That's it.

message 8: by Kris (last edited Jun 09, 2017 08:24AM) (new)

Glad you found your book, Matt. Here's the Goodreads link for the short story - Blown: or Sketches Among the Ruins of My Mind by Philip José Farmer.

Did you read it in the Strangeness collection by Thomas M. Disch? Here are some cover images: Strangeness A Collection Of Curious Tales by Thomas M. Disch Strangeness A Collection Of Curious Tales by Thomas M. Disch ?

message 10: by Kris (new)

Great. Thanks for the update.