Book Bloggers of Goodreads discussion

All Things Book Blogging > Newbie Questions

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Love is Love (new)

Love is Love Book Reviews (LoveisLoveBookReviews) | 1 comments Hi! I have a new book review blog that just launched today!

Love is Love Book Reviews

Love is Love reviews mostly M/M romance with some other flavors of LGBT romance in the mix occasionally. I hope you all enjoy that "new blog" smell. Obviously, I'm a newbie and I have a couple questions.

1. Do you email authors letting them know when you post a review their book? What about when the review was not requested by the author or publisher?

I'm reviewing books from my personal library right now and I don't know what the protocol is.

2. What's the best way to handle negative reviews?

My initial inclination was to only publish 3-star and above reviews on the blog. I want the blog to be a positive place where readers can find their next great read, not hurt authors whose only crime was writing a book I didn't like. Then I started thinking about the pesky 2-star reviews that would speak to larger issues in the genre... problematic representations of race, class, or sexual identity and consent issues come to mind. I guess I'm just looking for other voices on the topic.

Thanks in advance for your time and patience with my questions.
LiL

message 2: by Judi (new)

Judi Easley Welcome to the crazy world of book review blogging! It's wonderful, really. Though I've not been at it that long myself.

If an author or their reps provides a book and I review it, then I send them an email letting them know that it is posted on my blog. I usually try to let them know about a couple days to a week ahead of time. If I'm reviewing my own library then I don't notify anyone. I do try to always post to Amazon and BN.com as well as my blog. The author will likely see it there.

As for unfavorable posts, yes, post them. If you simply didn't like a book, then it's taste not crafting. So, point out good things about the author's crafting of the book. Start with something positive, then your negative, and close with something positive. That takes the sting out of it. If it's just your taste, that doesn't mean it's not someone else's taste. So, do the book justice.

If the book wasn't well-crafted then you really need to write it. I did that recently and the author sent me a thank you note. It's how she learns to get better at her craft. She needed someone to point out what she was doing wrong so she could do better. She's promised me her next book to review, too! You have to remember that you are critiqueing the book, not the author. Talk about character development. Were they well-developed or pretty shallow? How was the dialogue? Did the author tell you what was happening or did she show you? Did she set the scene and describe the scenery? Could you picture it in your mind? Was the love scene believable? Were characters consistent?

I'm sure I've ranted on enough. You get the idea. Hope this helps some. I remember when I started adding book reviews to my lifestyle blog. I didn't have a clue what I was doing. I had no disclaimer, no format or anything.

Best of luck!
Judi for Blue Cat Review
http://www.bluecatreview.us/

message 3: by Sophia (new)

Sophia (Bookwyrming Thoughts) (hannahsophialin) | 25 comments Hi and welcome to book blogging! :D

Review copies you request from the author or publisher - yes, always submit them. That way, it helps establish a trust between you and the publisher (in my opinion). Otherwise, if it's positive, feel free to tag them on Twitter or other social media but never anything that is 3 or less.

Negative reviews depends. Always be courteous - criticize the book, not the author. And if it's a review copy you were accepted for on a site like Netgalley and the publisher emails you for the review link, let them know that it is negative, and ask if they would still like a link.

I've been book blogging for awhile, so feel free to contact me at any time with questions! :)

message 4: by Emily (new)

Emily (theatreloverslittlebooknook) hello everyone the other day I swore I saw a thread where we can share blog post that are tags can someone give me the link if we have a thread like that? thanks