Play Book Tag discussion

The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian
June 2017: Coming of Age > The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian/Sherman Alexie - 3 stars

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1532 comments This is the story of Arnold Spirit, or Junior as his known on the Rez. Arnold is a Spokane Indian, living on reservation. Arnold has had a touch childhood --- he was born with water on the brain which lead to health issues (including seizures), his parents are both alcoholics and he was often bullied. One day, Arnold makes a big decision to go to school off the reservation, and this decisions changes the course of his life as he learns to navigate life in a world where he doesn't really fit in, but also, he can't go back to his old friends.

I listened to the audio which was read by the author. I will admit that it took me a while to get used to the cadence of the reading. Afterwards, I read that the author sometimes does comedy and I think explains the slightly odd narration. Also, I didn't realize until I read the blurb that the book was illustrated since Arnold was a budding cartoonist. I have seen this book on banned book lists, probably due to the alcoholism which is prevalent. I do feel like the book did a great job of highlighting some not so glamorous aspects of modern day Indians such as alcoholism, suicide. Once again, I'm not the target audience, and I think my younger self would have really liked it. What I didn't like was (view spoiler).

Jgrace | 2938 comments I liked it better than you did. I think the illustrations added a great deal.

message 3: by annapi (last edited Jun 07, 2017 05:50PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

annapi | 5068 comments This was my first 5-star book of this year. I read the ebook version, then bought the hardcover for my kids as the pictures really enhance the story.

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1532 comments hum....maybe I'll check it out of the library :-D

message 5: by Jenni Elyse (new) - added it

Jenni Elyse (jenni_elyse) | 1365 comments Weird cadences, pronunciations, and voice timbers are one of the main reasons I don't like to listen to audiobooks. Plus, my mind wanders a lot. But, it's good to know that this one is better to read since it has pictures to look at.

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1532 comments Yeah -- I got it on audible sale and didn't know about the pics.

It took me a while to really get into audio books. I have narrowed down the types of books that I will listen to because my mind wonders sometimes too. I have to listen to books that are in a world that I am somewhat familiar. Cozy mysteries are great as well as alot of YA, especially contemporary.