Hudson Area Public Library Book Talk discussion

What Are You Reading? > What Are You Reading? - June 2017

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Hudson Area Library | 38 comments Mod
Hello to our new Goodreads followers! Thanks for stopping in. A few of you had to post your introductions in the April threads. I was so busy with camp preparations, I missed posting here for May. Welcome!

This month I (Nicole P.) am going to be reading Before the Fall in preparation for next month's A Novel Bunch book club discussion here at the library. I'm not actually leading that discussion (mine will be in July with Hillbilly Elegy: A Memoir of a Family and Culture in Crisis, which I LOVED), but I still want to read it to discuss with our staff. Plus I may just pop my head in to see what everyone thought. I checked it out last summer and read the beginning, but didn't have time to finish it since 1) I have a bad habit of reading 6-12 books at a time and 2) it was new and had holds - no renewals for me. :( But it's on its way now, so I'm excited!

There's still time to read either of those, by the way, before the club meets if you want to participate.

In the meantime, enjoy your summer reading!

message 2: by Tricia (new)

Tricia Oberdas | 1 comments I'm one of those people who loves to read multiple books at one time! Right now I'm reading:
- Courting Catherine by Nora Roberts
- Fine Until Kindergarten (about learning disabilities) by Catherine Mikkelsen
- The Gabriel Method by Jon Gabriel
- Promise Texas by Debbie Macomber

message 3: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 6 comments Mod
Tricia wrote: "I'm one of those people who loves to read multiple books at one time! Right now I'm reading:
- Courting Catherine by Nora Roberts
- Fine Until Kindergarten (about learning disabilities) by Catherin..."

Thanks for joining us, Tricia!

I just added another 4 books or so to my own list. I'm on a big permaculture and foraging kick right now. I'd list them all, but it's just too many! :) Have a look at my profile if you're curious and let us know what you think of your books when you've finished any of them.

message 4: by Dominique (new)

Dominique | 3 comments I'm reading Lilac Girls by Martha Hall Kelly Lilac Girls

Looking forward to some summer vacation reading time!

Dominique wrote: "I'm reading Lilac Girls by Martha Hall Kelly Lilac Girls

Looking forward to some summer vacation reading time!"

Me too (Nicole P). Though I often imagine that I will somehow have more time than I actually do. Fiction-wise, I am setting a goal of 3 for the summer: Before the Fall, which I mentioned above. This book, btw, moves at a pretty good pace, so if any of you want to try it out in order to join us for our August 16 discussion, 6:30-7:30 pm. Anyone can join in at any time with this book club. It's a lot of fun; we have great conversation and in October we're taking our club on the road to Stone Tap! But I digress. :)

I'm continuing with my Harry Potter rereading. I'm up to Book 4, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. Finally, I want to read a book that's been on my shelf since last summer. I really don't know much about it, but I remember it must have looked good for me to bring it home from our Friends book store! It's called Rutherford, I think. Odd that Goodreads won't let me link to it. I'll have to do some checking on that.

As far as Lilac Girls goes, Dominique, please let me know your thoughts. I had that one reserved before I knew more about it and then I got kind of scared off of it when I read that one of the characters was a doctor in one of the Nazi's "hospitals." Gave me the willies a bit. I have a pretty sensitive personality, but let me know if I should reconsider.

message 6: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Gleason Winegar | 1 comments Reading along with my 10 year old. we just both finished "urban outlaws" by Peter Black.

Kristen wrote: "Reading along with my 10 year old. we just both finished "urban outlaws" by Peter Black."

Oh, nice! Please let us know what you and your 10-year-old thought? Did you both like it or did you have differing opinions?

message 8: by Dominique (new)

Dominique | 3 comments I finished The Lilac Girls. It was so beautifully written, I really liked the way the author used three narratives. A very powerful and inspiring read about true WWII events. I learned something new about WWII, the medical experimentation at Ravensbruck women's concentration camp. Even though it was disturbing and difficult to read to those chapters, I am so inspired by the prisoners resiliency and strength. This is one of those important books I will suggest to everyone!

message 9: by Karen (new)

Karen | 2 comments I am reading "Heroines of Mercy Street the Real Nurses of the Civil War" by Pamela D. Toler, PhD which is a companion book to the PBS series "Mercy Street". It is a very enlightening look at how nursing and medical care developed during the Civil War. Not as dry a topic as it might be assumed to be. Dr. Toler has a lively and entertaining way of writing that keeps the reader engaged.

Dominique wrote: "I finished The Lilac Girls. It was so beautifully written, I really liked the way the author used three narratives. A very powerful and inspiring read about true WWII events. I learned something ne..."

Thank you for sharing, Dominique! I don't think I (Nicole P.) could read that... or maybe I would just have to skip those chapters. I am so sensitive to things of that nature, I don't know if the images would ever leave me. But there are plenty of others out there who can handle reading books like this and it did get many good reviews! I'm so glad you enjoyed it!

Karen wrote: "I am reading "Heroines of Mercy Street the Real Nurses of the Civil War" by Pamela D. Toler, PhD which is a companion book to the PBS series "Mercy Street". It is a very enlightening look at how nu..."

I don't think I knew about this book, Karen, but I recall seeing the advertising for the PBS program. Did the book contain photographs from the show? Those PBS companion books are usually so well done. I enjoyed The Life and Times of Call the Midwife: The Official Companion to Season One and Two because I love the 1930's - 1950's and am a sucker for anything from those decades! Thank you for sharing. :)

Update: I quickly decided I did not care for the writing style of Before the Fall and returned the book. Hawley writes for television and the book kind of reads like that. Just didn't care for it.

I am still reading Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire and it is pure pleasure, of course. I missed books 2-4 the first time I read the series, so it it interesting to me to read the little details I missed out on by only seeing the movies.

I also figured out that my other book to read this summer is actually called The Forest by Edward Rutherfurd. His name is so prominent on the book spine that I thought that's what it was called! Really looking forward to that one!