THE Group for Authors! discussion

General Discussion > Promoting a book before release: no uploaded ebook sample.

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Paul (last edited Jun 05, 2017 10:36PM) (new)

Paul Adams | 60 comments I was planning to add an e-book sample for a book that will be released on July 1. I've been searching to find where I can "add an ebook." The E-books section of my Author Dashboard has the following text: "Upload an e-book excerpt with the above 'add ebook' links and let users browse, preview, or download your work." But, there are no "add ebook" links anywhere to be found. I watched a video on how to add ebooks. The video showed how to find the link on a book's page to add an ebook. Again, that button doesn't exist for me.

So, lightbulb moment, I guess that I can't add the ebook (sample) for a book that hasn't been published yet.

It's a guess. But I'm taking it for a fair guess unless someone can give a better explanation.

(I've edited this post to remove irrelevant comments regarding giveaways.)

message 2: by Paula (new)

Paula (paulaan) | 332 comments You only have a paperback edition added

You might want to add the ebook version of a the book, or post the details of the ebook in the librarians group

message 3: by Paul (new)

Paul Adams | 60 comments Okay, so, one must have an entry in the database for an ebook format book before adding an ebook sample? One can't upload an ebook sample associated with a paperback of the same title? Because I don't yet have an id number to associate with the commercial ebook that will be released in July. It won't have an ISBN, but will have whatever kindle ID associated with it.

message 4: by Jaclyn (new)

Jaclyn Woods (jaclyn_w) | 417 comments Here's how to add an excerpt of your ebook:

1. Navigate to your Author Dashboard.
2. Beneath the book in question, click on "add preview".
3. Use the "Choose File" button to upload your ebook excerpt in PDF format. Your file should only contain the excerpt of the book. 4. If you add a PDF that contains your entire book, the entire book will be available on the site.
5. Choose which permissions you'd like to allow using the radio buttons (either "Members can only read this preview in their browsers" or "Members can read this preview in their browsers and download it").
6. Click on "Upload File."

message 5: by Paul (new)

Paul Adams | 60 comments Jaclyn wrote: "Here's how to add an excerpt of your ebook:

1. Navigate to your Author Dashboard.
2. Beneath the book in question, click on "add preview"..."

That's not an available option for me. There's no "add preview."

Also, when I view the page for my book, There is an Author Tools section which includes the following:

Book stats | Widget | List a giveaway

This does not include an "add preview," or "add ebook."

message 6: by Bernadette (new)

Bernadette (bravebear) | 1 comments When I was in the same situation (no "add preview" button) and asked the question of GR's "Help" facility, I received the following email response:

Since the Preview functionality on Goodreads is powered by Kindle Cloud Reader, you must have a sample of your book available on Amazon for the button to show up on Goodreads. If you'd like to add a sample on Amazon, I'd suggest contacting Amazon support here for further assistance.

I hope that helps.

message 7: by Blaque (new)

Blaque Diamond (blaquediamondbooks) | 8 comments I was having the same issue. My book is available for pre-order on Amazon as well but I don't have the option to add a preview on Goodreads.

message 8: by Paul (last edited Jun 06, 2017 10:55PM) (new)

Paul Adams | 60 comments OK, I'm picking up new details, and thanks for the help folks. Unfortunately, I'm also discovering that everything is enormously contradictory. But the end result is discovering that this is almost certainly not an available option for me, so knowing that, I'll drop it.

Here's what led me to think I can't upload a preview (emphasis mine):

"You’ll find the “Open Preview” button on the page of any book that has a Kindle edition. Click on the “Open Preview” button and a sample of the book will open up inside Goodreads, using the Kindle Cloud Reader. This is available for members in the US only."

If access to the open-preview button is limited to US residents, I'd guess that access to the option of uploading previews is similarly restricted... and I'm not sure I want to go looking for a way to upload it through a proxy-server.

There is a minor contradiction of that on the same help page: "Preview is currently available for our members in the U.S., Canada, the U.K., Australia, and India."

So, okay, other countries can do it too, perhaps, but I don't live in any of those.

Other contrary points:

-I'm sure I got info on goodreads that previews can be offered in .pdf or .epub, but the FAQ relating to previews only mentions .pdfs.

-The help topic "How do I add Preview or an excerpt to my book page?" explains that "you must have a sample available on Amazon," though it then goes on to say "If you'd like to use our ebook functionality to add an excerpt instead, you're welcome to," with instructions on how to use the buttons that I ain't got.

Good news is, I guess, when my ebook is actually published then US users will probably be able to see the preview through Amazon. Just probably not now in the pre-publication phase.

message 9: by Jaclyn (new)

Jaclyn Woods (jaclyn_w) | 417 comments The Kindle Preview and ebook sample are two different features on the site. I'm looking into this and will post an update here when I know more. Paul, I'll also look into updating those help topics for clarity – sorry for the confusion!

message 10: by Jaclyn (new)

Jaclyn Woods (jaclyn_w) | 417 comments Thanks for your patience. After a discussion, we’ve decided to no longer support the addition of new ebooks to Goodreads. I’m sorry about that! Our product teams review which features our members interact with the most so we can ensure we’re dedicating resources to the right areas. We will continue supporting authors on Goodreads in other important ways, including features like giveaways, Ask the Author, and connecting your blog. If you have any questions about these features, or anything else, please let me know!

message 11: by Paul (new)

Paul Adams | 60 comments Okay, thank you for the feedback.

message 12: by Jean (new)

Jean Baxter | 24 comments Jaclyn wrote: "Thanks for your patience. After a discussion, we’ve decided to no longer support the addition of new ebooks to Goodreads. I’m sorry about that! Our product teams review which features our members i..."

Wait--what??

message 13: by Blaque (new)

Blaque Diamond (blaquediamondbooks) | 8 comments What??? No more e-book samples?

message 14: by Jaclyn (new)

Jaclyn Woods (jaclyn_w) | 417 comments D.B. – I've removed your post in this thread as self-promotion is not permitted in the Author Feedback Group. Sorry about that!

message 15: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Shea (lisashea) | 5 comments Note that on this page -

https://www.goodreads.com/ebooks

There's a link in the top right to "My Ebooks" which is broken. I have I believe 10 ebook samples loaded into the system which I need to manage. I understand that you've shut off the adding of new ebooks (which is quite a shame) but there still needs to be a way to manage existing ones.

For example, one of mine is woefully out of date.

message 16: by Jaclyn (new)

Jaclyn Woods (jaclyn_w) | 417 comments Lisa wrote: "Note that on this page -

https://www.goodreads.com/ebooks

There's a link in the top right to "My Ebooks" which is broken."

Lisa, I've responded to your other post here.