The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Important Items > Nominations for the June/July 2017 group read are now open: This month's theme: translated crime fiction/mysteries

Comments Showing 1-50 of 82 (82 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (last edited Jun 05, 2017 08:37AM) (new)

Nancy Oakes (quinnsmom) | 8558 comments Mod
This month it's all about translated crime fiction -- books written in another language and then translated into English.

If you're not sure about books in this category, , here's a good place to start:

http://bookriot.com/2016/07/26/100-my...

I've combed through the group's bookshelf and these are the books we've read within the last three years in this category, so these may not be nominated:

The Boy in the Suitcase, by Lene Kaaberbøl
Broken, by Karin Fossum
The Ice Princess, by Camilla Lackberg
Jar City, by Arnaldur Indridason
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, by Stieg Larsson
Snow White Must Die, by Nele Neuhaus

Other than those books, the world is a big place, so the possibilities are numerous.

So that we are very clear,

a) this is not the place for authors to nominate their own books,
b) if you nominate a book and it wins, you are the discussion leader. If you don't want to take an active role as the moderator, then please please please don't nominate a book.
c) please use the "add book/author" feature when making your nomination.

Thanks, and have fun -- this should be interesting!

message 2: by Skye (new)

Skye | 2105 comments Hi Nancy, I saw the original link, and I am at a loss; while I did love Stieg Larsson and have his books, I just don't know where to search.

message 4: by Dan (new)

Dan Petrosini | 49 comments The Shape of WaterThe Shape of Water

message 5: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Skye wrote: "Hi Nancy, I saw the original link, and I am at a loss; while I did love Stieg Larsson and have his books, I just don't know where to search."

Here's a place to start:

http://bookriot.com/2016/07/26/100-my...

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 551 comments Do we need to nominate first in series first?

message 7: by Tom (last edited Jun 05, 2017 08:40AM) (new)

Tom Mathews | 975 comments I nominate The Alphabet House by Jussi Adler-Olsen. This is a standalone book by the author of the popular Department Q series.
The Alphabet House by Jussi Adler-Olsen

message 9: by Skye (new)

Skye | 2105 comments Nancy wrote: "Skye wrote: "Hi Nancy, I saw the original link, and I am at a loss; while I did love Stieg Larsson and have his books, I just don't know where to search."

Here's a place to start:

http://bookriot..."

Fabulous list.

message 10: by Skye (new)

Skye | 2105 comments Susanna - Censored by GoodReads wrote: "I'm going to nominate Pietr the Latvian by Georges Simenon."

This looks good, Susanna.

message 11: by Manoek (new)

Manoek Broers | 6 comments Hex by Thomas Olde HeuveltHex

I hope it's okay

message 12: by Skye (new)

Skye | 2105 comments I am not certain if this has been translated or not, but the writer was on that site.Garnethill Denise Mina

message 13: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Skye wrote: "I am not certain if this has been translated or not, but the writer was on that site.Garnethill Denise Mina"

I think she writes in English, so I'm not sure why she's on that list. So we'll pass on her this time unless someone knows for sure that she wrote in a language other than English.

message 14: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Manoek wrote: "Hex by Thomas Olde HeuveltHex

I hope it's okay"

That's sort of more horror-ish, yeah? I think I'll pass on that one, but feel free to choose another in the crime area.

message 15: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads wrote: "Do we need to nominate first in series first?"

If possible, definitely. It just helps if people don't have to start down the line after the characters, etc., have already been earlier established.

message 16: by Carol (new)

Carol (carolfromnc) | 13239 comments I nominate Kill the Father by Sandrone Dazieri. First published in Italian in 2014; English language version published in February 2017. An average rating of 4.13.

message 17: by Skye (new)

Skye | 2105 comments Nancy wrote: "Skye wrote: "I am not certain if this has been translated or not, but the writer was on that site.Garnethill Denise Mina"

I think she writes in English, so I'm not sure why she's on t..."

That's what I thought, too, but Du Maurier is also on that list, and I doubt that she wrote in French and was then translated.

message 18: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Skye wrote: "Nancy wrote: "Skye wrote: "I am not certain if this has been translated or not, but the writer was on that site.Garnethill Denise Mina"

I think she writes in English, so I'm not sure ..."

Actually, it says "from around the world," but the translated works are noted by "translation."

message 19: by Tom (new)

Tom Mathews | 975 comments Nancy wrote: "Skye wrote: "I am not certain if this has been translated or not, but the writer was on that site.Garnethill Denise Mina"

I think she writes in English, so I'm not sure why she's on t..."

The list, 100 MUST-READ MYSTERY & CRIME NOVELS AROUND THE WORLD, is not limited to translated works. It's a great list, though.

message 20: by Skye (new)

Skye | 2105 comments Yes, yes, you are both right! I found another one about Jesuits, written by a Filipino writer, but he wrote in English.

message 21: by Lisa (last edited Jun 05, 2017 09:53AM) (new)

Lisa | 92 comments I nominate Victim Without A Face (Fabian Risk #1), by Stefan Ahnhem.
Victim Without a Face

message 22: by Ed (new)

Ed | 19 comments I nominate Summer of Dead Toys by Antonio Hill

message 23: by Tom (new)

Tom Mathews | 975 comments Ed wrote: "I nominate Summer of Dead Toys by Antonio Hill"

The Summer of Dead Toys sounds interesting. I have his The Good Suicides on my tbr list.

message 24: by Skye (new)

Skye | 2105 comments That looks good, and it's on my TBR now.

message 25: by Ellen (new)

Ellen Kirschman Just did a panel with Vidar Sunstol (the o has a line through it) and met Jussi Olsen. These Scandinavian authors are CHARMING. I haven't read books by either but Vidar has a trilogy, set in Minnesota and Jussi authors the Q Department series.

message 26: by Skye (new)

Skye | 2105 comments Thank you, Ellen.

message 27: by Skye (new)

Skye | 2105 comments I put the first on my TBR list; reminds me of Iron Lake by William Kent Krueger.

message 28: by Tom (new)

Tom Mathews | 975 comments Ellen wrote: "Just did a panel with Vidar Sunstol (the o has a line through it) and met Jussi Olsen. These Scandinavian authors are CHARMING. I haven't read books by either but Vidar has a trilogy, set in Minnes..."

Vidar Sundstøl and Jussi Adler-Olsen were also at the Bay Area Book Festival last weekend. I saw Vidar Sundstøl but scheduling issues kept me from seeing Adler-Olsen. Two other authors that I found interesting were the Swedish pair that write under the nom de plume Erik Axl Sund.

message 29: by Selmah (new)

Selmah Smith | 3 comments I'll nominate Betty Boo by Claudia Pineiro.

message 30: by Bill, Co-Moderator (new)

Bill | 5392 comments Mod
It's not the first book in the series, but here goes anyway... The Angst-Ridden Executive by Manuel Vázquez Montalbán.

message 31: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Selmah wrote: "I'll nominate Betty Boo by Claudia Pineiro."

Betty Boo, by Claudia Pineiro.

Excellent choice, Selmah. Pineiro is one of my favorite writers, and that book is one of her best.

message 32: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Ed wrote: "I nominate Summer of Dead Toys by Antonio Hill"

The Summer of Dead Toys

message 33: by Garden (new)

Garden Girl | 0 comments Denise Mina is a Scottish writer, so if you count Scottish speakers as English speakers, she writes in English without being translated.

message 34: by Skye (new)

Skye | 2105 comments Yes, that's why I can't nominate her or Du Maurier, but some of these look great.

message 35: by Dina (new)

Dina Rae (dinarae) | 5 comments I would like to nominate The Best Seller for the mystery read. It's a mystery about an alien hybrid program post WWII and the modern day effects of it in modern day.

Charlotte (Buried in Books) | 407 comments Dina, please check the first post in the thread.

message 37: by Helen (new)

Helen Almond | 5 comments Dregs by Jorn Lier Horst great series
Miss Smillas feeling for Snow
Rosanna the first Beck
Return of the Dancing Master Henning Mankell
The Great Swindle by Pierre Lemaitre fabulous book
I read mostly crime in translation so my books list contains many choices these are just a few off the top of my head

message 38: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Charlotte (Buried in Books) wrote: "Dina, please check the first post in the thread."

Thanks, Charlotte.

message 39: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Helen wrote: "Dregs by Jorn Lier Horst great series
Rosanna the first Beck
I read m..."

Good titles. Would you care to narrow it down to one?

message 40: by Suzy (new)

Suzy (goodreadscomsuzy_hillard) | 643 comments Tom wrote: "I nominate The Alphabet House by Jussi Adler-Olsen. This is a standalone book by the author of the popular Department Q series.
[bookcover:The Alphabet House|22571..."

I was going to nominate a Dept Q book, but I'll go with this suggestion - I've had it on my tbr too long!

message 41: by Leonard (new)

Leonard (leonardseet) | 29 comments I nominate Keigo Higashino's The Devotion of Suspect X by Keigo Higashino , a great mystery novel.

message 42: by Tom (last edited Jun 05, 2017 04:58PM) (new)

Tom Mathews | 975 comments Suzy wrote: "I was going to nominate a Dept Q book, but I'll go with this suggestion - I've had it on my tbr too long! "

If you want to nominate something by Adler-Olsen, you may and I will change my nomination to Red April by Santiago Roncagliolo.
Red April by Santiago Roncagliolo

message 43: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Tom wrote: "Suzy wrote: "I was going to nominate a Dept Q book, but I'll go with this suggestion - I've had it on my tbr too long! "

If you want to nominate something by Adler-Olsen, you may and I will change..."

Red April is sooooo good! Decide what you two want to do.

message 44: by Tom (new)

Tom Mathews | 975 comments Nancy wrote: "Red April is sooooo good! Decide what you two want to do. ."

I'll go with Red April.

message 45: by Autumn (new)

Autumn (autumnmemory80) | 374 comments What about Badfellas by Tonino Benacquista. Crime, mystery, and black humor.

message 46: by CalifCat (last edited Jun 05, 2017 10:48PM) (new)

CalifCat | 4 comments I nominate I'm Traveling Aloneby Samuel Bjørk It's awesome!!

message 47: by Helen (new)

Helen Almond | 5 comments Nancy wrote: "Helen wrote: "Dregs by Jorn Lier Horst great series
Rosanna the first Beck
The Great Swindle by Pierre Lemaitre fabulous..."

Then if I have to choose one it would be Irene by Pierre Lemaitre
Nancy wrote: "Helen wrote: "Dregs by Jorn Lier Horst great series
Rosanna the first Beck
The Great Swindle by Pierre Lemaitre fabulous..."<

message 48: by Suzy (new)

Suzy (goodreadscomsuzy_hillard) | 643 comments I'll nominate The Keeper of Lost Causes, first in Jussi Adler-Olsen's Department Q series.

message 49: by Tyrone (new)

Tyrone (28daysearlier) | 33 comments Helen wrote: "Dregs by Jorn Lier Horst great series
Rosanna the first Beck
I read m..."

I second Miss Smilla's Feeling for Snow

message 50: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Tyrone wrote: "Helen wrote: "Dregs by Jorn Lier Horst great series
Rosanna the first Beck
The Great Swindle by Pierre Lemaitre fabulous..."

Actually, Tyrone, you'd be nominating it instead of seconding it -- is that what you want??

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.