Jane Austen discussion

Spring JA Group Film Festival > Launch into a Mansfield reading?

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by SarahC, Austen Votary & Mods' Asst. (new)

SarahC (sarahcarmack) | 1473 comments Mod
I think we have seen recent suggestions of a Mansfield Park reading (Rachel?) Our film discussion of the 1999 Patricia Roczema version has really sparked some thoughts, questions, and detailed look at the story, so I wanted to ask who might be ready to do a novel discussion. How people might be interested? A fairly immediate discussion timeline?

I know we can rely upon posting a poll to get a vote, but I also like posing the question within a thread in this way so people can make a real comment on what they would like to do.

If, for the most part, you are tired of Mansfield right now, that's fine. We will work on alternate ideas for group discussion. Thanks all very much.

message 2: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 123 comments I'm currently rereading Mansfield Park with my mom and would happily participate in a discussion of it with all of you! I was thinking of listening to an audio version and seeing how it differs as a read in that format, as well, so maybe I can do that on the same timeline with all of you.

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ SarahC wrote: "I think we have seen recent suggestions of a Mansfield Park reading (Rachel?) Our film discussion of the 1999 Patricia Roczema version has really sparked some thoughts, questions, and detailed look..."

Yes, yes, yes!

But I go on holiday tomorrow & won't be back till the 18th (NZ time)

Any chance of waiting a couple of weeks? :)

message 4: by Andrea AKA Catsos Person (last edited Jun 04, 2017 03:39PM) (new)

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 169 comments Sarah,

I've been following the discussion about the movie, though think I've only posted once.

Both of these threads (movie and Fanny as a character character) made me conclude I should reread Mansfield Park.

I'm willing.

message 5: by SarahC, Austen Votary & Mods' Asst. (new)

Carol ♔Type, Oh Queen!♕ wrote: "SarahC wrote: "I think we have seen recent suggestions of a Mansfield Park reading (Rachel?) Our film discussion of the 1999 Patricia Roczema version has really sparked some thoughts, questions, an..."

it will be certainly considered, and we will see what other folks are thinking too! Thanks Carol.

message 6: by SarahC, Austen Votary & Mods' Asst. (new)

Andrea (Catsos Person) is a Compulsive eBook Hoarder wrote: "Sarah,

I've been following the discussion about the movie, though think I've only posted once.

Both of these threads (move and Fanny character) made me conclude I should reread Mansfield Park.

I..."

Good!

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ SarahC wrote: "it will be certainly considered, and we will see what other folks are thinking too! Thanks Carol.

No worries - if everyone else is ready earlier I can always catch up.

message 8: by Louise Sparrow (new)

Louise Sparrow (louisex) | 301 comments I listened to one of the audiobooks just before the film watch because of some of the comments that had come up, I'd be happy to join in... I might even listen again.

Hannah I can recommend the Juliet Stevenson version if that's any help to you :)

message 9: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 123 comments Louise, thanks. That's not the version my library has, unfortunately, but I love Juliet Stevenson! I've listened to a few Virginia Woolf novels narrated by her, and they were fantastic!

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 169 comments In another "Classics" GR group where I'm a member, I've seen posts from people who say the LibriVox audiobook of Mansfield Park is really good.

I haven't listened to it myself though.

message 11: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) | 491 comments I’m afraid I’ll need to stand out on the MP reading. I have four group reads to get through, including P&P, and then I need to buckle down to the research for my next novel. It’s about Fanny Burney, so I will need to get JA’s voice out of my head a bit.

message 12: by Rachel, The Honorable Miss Moderator (new)

Rachel (randhrshipper1) | 674 comments Mod
As a moderator, I usually feel obligated to participate in all group reads, but unfortunately I will have to sit it out if a group read for MP happens because the group read we did time before last was MP and I just have so much more reading to get done in the little free time I have.

message 13: by Krysta (new)

Krysta MacDonald (krystamacdonald) | 9 comments I hardly comment here (sorry!) But since I'm rereading this anyway I would totally participate!

message 14: by Nina (new)

Nina Clare | 58 comments I'd love to join in with a reading of MP (or any other Austen novel!)

message 15: by Melindam (new)

Melindam | 158 comments I am intending to read The Annotated Mansfield Park annotated by
David M. Shapard that has recently been published, so I am in whenever you'd like to start.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

I have just finished reading MP a couple of months ago, and I am now reading Persuasion, so I will be able to join in whenever we start.

message 17: by J. W. (new)

J. W. Garrett (jeannewallacegarrett) | 59 comments I am reading MP now in tandem with Mansfield Parsonage [Mary Crawford POV]. So I can jump in on occasion.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 169 comments Melindam wrote: "I am intending to read The Annotated Mansfield Park annotated by
David M. Shapard that has recently been published, so I am in whenever you'd like to start."

I too plan to order this book for this group read.

The first time I read MP, I just downloaded from Project Gutenberg, but I think this annotated edition will be a help for discussion.

message 19: by Mrs (new)

Mrs Benyishai | 240 comments I am always reading parts of MP I enjoy it and admire Fanny. I also think Edmond is fine just not developed enough. But men never are in Janes books (knightly? Darcy?) He was just attracted to Mary by her charm not her soul They would have made a sad couple. He was ''"saved by the bell "But more as we read

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 169 comments Mrs.

I like MP too.

I thought that Edmund probably knew all of the young ladies in his neighborhood. Mary was charming as you say AND she had the added draw of novelty, unlike the young women he'd known all of his life.

Also, I don't have a problem with Fanny. I thought she had a formidable integrity when it really mattered.

message 21: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum "formidable integrity" - I like that!

Joanna Loves Reading (joannalovesreading) Hello all - I would like to join the re-reading. It has probably been 10 years since I have read it and would like to do it with a group.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 169 comments Joanna wrote: "Hello all - I would like to join the re-reading. It has probably been 10 years since I have read it and would like to do it with a group."

It's a different experience reading JAs novels with long-time Janites than reading her books as a solo activity!

Joanna Loves Reading (joannalovesreading) Andrea (Catsos Person) is a Compulsive eBook Hoarder wrote: "Joanna wrote: "Hello all - I would like to join the re-reading. It has probably been 10 years since I have read it and would like to do it with a group."

It's a different experience reading JAs no..."

I imagine so! Looking forward to it!

message 25: by SarahC, Austen Votary & Mods' Asst. (new)

Hi members,

I did not intend to extend our "review period" of the Mansfield idea this long, but due to my own technical difficulties I have.

I would like to start a Mansfield reading discussion on July 1. I hope that as many of you can join in as possible. I know that is just before our big holiday in the U.S., but I was concerned that extending it another week out would lose our momentum.

Another note: We remember the 200 years since Jane Austen's passing in July. Additionally, I have been working on some small celebratory activities to mark July as the completion of 10 full years of this Jane Austen group here on GoodReads. For me, our group and others like it recognize and live out Jane's legacy to us humble readers... always perpetuating, always edifying. So for the coming months, along with remembering our Jane's passing, I would like to celebrate her readers and this group. More on that ahead.

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ SarahC wrote: "Hi members,

I did not intend to extend our "review period" of the Mansfield idea this long, but due to my own technical difficulties I have.

I would like to start a Mansfield reading discussion..."

This all sounds awesome! I'll be a day or 2 late for Mansfield Park, but read I shall!

Thanks for all you do Sarah! Have you thought about asking for this group to be a featured group? There is a thread in the Goodreads group where you can ask. :)

message 27: by SarahC, Austen Votary & Mods' Asst. (new)

Thanks, and I will look at that Carol. Good idea :)

Please hop into the discussion any time. I know you messaged you were tied up in June, so I understand you may be wrapping up other things. I am glad you will be with us.

message 28: by Louise Sparrow (new)

Louise Sparrow (louisex) | 301 comments Thanks Sarah, sounds good

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ SarahC wrote: "Thanks, and I will look at that Carol. Good idea :)

Please hop into the discussion any time. I know you messaged you were tied up in June, so I understand you may be wrapping up other things. I am..."

Mention that it is the 200 year anniversary when you request. ;)

I wasn't so much tied up but on holiday in Rarotonga (Cook Islands) & I didn't want to take any "keeper" books. I was hoping to find an adult literacy scheme to donate my read books to. I couldn't find one, so I ended up donating to the SPCA shop at the markets.

message 31: by SarahC, Austen Votary & Mods' Asst. (new)

Thank you Louise and Carol!

message 32: by SarahC, Austen Votary & Mods' Asst. (new)

And your plan was very smart to donate your books after reading at your vacation location. I love that and shows we are all one reading community I think, regardless if we are travelers or locals.

message 33: by SarahC, Austen Votary & Mods' Asst. (new)

Carol ♔Type, Oh Queen!♕ wrote: "Link for the thread
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/..."

I have put in the request to feature our group. We will keep a watch and see if that happens. :)

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ SarahC wrote: "Carol ♔Type, Oh Queen!♕ wrote: "Link for the thread
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/..."

I have put in the..."

I certainly hope you get some interest. Nowadays they only change the groups every six weeks or so. :(