Obsessed with True Crime discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
TC Trivia Answers Archive > Which Serial Killer Is Different?

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Fishface (last edited Jun 04, 2017 01:06PM) (new)

Fishface | 11853 comments One of these serial killers qualifies not only as a serial killer, but as another kind of killer as well. Which one? What is he aside from a serial killer?

Tony Walker

Gary Ridgway

Rodney Alcala, looking especially suave in this photo

Roy Norris

John WAYNE Gacy

message 2: by Jay (new)

Jay (mrisolatedalienated) Gary Ridgeway was a necrophiliac.

message 3: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 11853 comments BZZT! That is not a type of killer! Many necrophiliacs never kill anyone. Keep trying, peeps!

message 4: by Jay (last edited Jun 06, 2017 02:32PM) (new)

Jay (mrisolatedalienated) Necrophilic killer. That is a type of killer. Not all killers rape their victim's dead body.

Gacy killed males.
The rest all killed women.
So gay serial killer?

message 5: by Fishface (last edited Jun 06, 2017 03:58PM) (new)

Fishface | 11853 comments That's not a different type of killer, though! They're all serial killers!

The types I am talking about are the FBI categories:

Serial murder: killing at least two people with a break in between, for a personal (usually but not always sexual) reason other than revenge, profit, jealousy, or other "normal" reason to kill someone
Sex murder: (once you've done this twice, you're a serial killer, so you can't use this answer) -- murder associated with a sexual motive
Murder for profit: offing someone for the insurance, for instance
Murder to cover another crime: like Aileen Wuornos killing those guys so they couldn't finger her to the police after she robbed them
Mass murder: killing a bunch of people (at least 3) all at once
Spree murder: a mass murder that moves from place to place, like the Starkweather/Fugate kill spree
Infanticide by an overwhelmed, unsupported, mentally ill or otherwise incapable parent
Ritual murder: sacrifices to Satan and so forth

All these people are serial murderers. Which one is also a something-else killer?

message 6: by Jay (last edited Jun 06, 2017 05:30PM) (new)

Jay (mrisolatedalienated) "Serial murder: killing at least two people with a break in between, for a personal (usually but not always sexual) reason other than revenge, profit, jealousy, or other "normal" reason to kill someone
Sex murder: (once you've done this twice, you're a serial killer, so you can't use this answer) -- murder associated with a sexual motive"

The definition was rewritten in 2006 I believe and I have read the report and I am against the new definition.

I've been arguing against it for years.

Yes. I actually do read FBI/police reports.
I read the secret service report on school shooters years back.
I've read all the reports on Adam Lanza. So I do read official reports.

I still go by 3 or more.

As for Mass murder being 3 or more killed.
It's suppose to be 4 or more. I study mass murder and mass shootings in a very serious academic form and I get really angry when I see people conflate the numbers by adding in gang attacks and terrorist attacks. Random acts of eviolence that are completely different then a Patrick Purdy walking into a school yard and firing an AK at school children for his own personal reasons.

The news does this all the time along with gun control advocates.
Such as when I see on the news "school shooting" now what immediately comes to mind when you hear that word "school shooting"??? You think of Columbine, Virginia Tech, Sandy hook, Stockton, etc.

Then as the story progresses you find out it was a murder suicide. Where 2 girls decided to shoot them selves in a suicide pact.

So they are playing with words.

So I think definitions are important and I am glad you made it more clear.

I guess you could argue Roy Norris because he along with Bittaker killed the victims to cover up their crime of rape. Although with Bittaker it evolved into something more.

message 7: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 11853 comments I'm not sure what your answer is here, Jay.

message 8: by Jay (new)

Jay (mrisolatedalienated) I wrote at the bottom of my disagreement with the revised definition of "serial murder" and the exploitation of the word "mass shooting."/"school shooting."

"I guess you could argue Roy Norris because he along with Bittaker killed the victims to cover up their crime of rape. Although with Bittaker it evolved into something more."

So my response is Roy Norris.

You wrote "Murder to cover another crime: like Aileen Wuornos killing those guys so they couldn't finger her to the police after she robbed them."

Well Roy Norris was a rapist who told his partner Bittaker they would kill their victims to cover up the crimes. When it finally got down to it Norris claimed they had a big fight. Bittaker said "I'm not leaving any witnesses." Finally Norris agreed and tried to strangle Cindy Schaefer. Bittaker eventually killed her and from then on Roy Norris helped to kill the rest of the victims.

message 9: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 11853 comments I'm sorry, but Roy Norris is a BZZT! Anyone else?

message 10: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 11853 comments It's been almost a month with no new answers, so here it is:

Tony Walker is the only one who is both a mass murderer and a serial killer.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.