What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Suspense re Photographer who assumes another identity. [s]

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jane (new)

Jane | 3 comments I read this book back in the mid to late 90s, excellent book! I'm sure the author was male and I thought the title was "Double Exposure" or something similar. I searched online, but there are a number of books with that title and after reading the descriptions, none of them are the book I am searching for.

The plot was of a successful businessman who was also a hobby photographer, and a very good one. He had a neighbor (male), not very likeable, who was bitter as he was forced to live on an annuity of $24,000 per year, though his parents were wealthy. In an altercation, I think the photographer killed the neighbor (I think while out on a boat), then the photographer faked his own death, and assumed the identity of the neighbor, and left town.

It worked for a while, as he had also become a photographer full-time until he took a photo that catapulted him into becoming a highly regarded and sought-after photographer. That's when things started to unravel. In the meantime, a new "friend" in the new town the photographer moved to became suspicious, discovered who the photographer really was, and then threatened to "expose" him unless the photographer paid him on a regular, and continuing basis. During a car drive, they argued, the photographer grabbed the wheel, resulting in an accident that killed the extortionist. I think the extortionist had false teeth, which the photographer knew or they fell out during the accident. The photographer removed the false teeth so the body could not be identified using the teeth, then set the car on fire with the extortionist's body still inside, and left documents leading anyone to believe that the body was that of the photographer, who then assumed another identity.

By the way, the photographer met a woman, they fell in love, etc., etc. When the photographer showed up on her doorstep (after she thought he died in the car accident), he explained everything, and she agreed to keep his secret, there was also a baby on the way.

The book is much more interesting, frankly, riveting, than I described above. But, I just can't find it and would like to have it back in my library to read again.

I appreciate your help in finding the actual title as well as the name of the author.

Thanks, Jane.

message 2: by Gerd (new)

Gerd | 223 comments Hmm, shades of the talented Mr Ripley in there.

message 4: by Jane (new)

Jane | 3 comments Yeeeesssssssss! That's it! I just read the description from your link, and that's it! Thank you!

message 5: by Kym (new)

Kym | 1058 comments You're welcome :)

message 6: by Jane (new)

Jane | 3 comments Plenty of paperback copies, available. Now, if I could just find the ebook to download to my kindle.

message 7: by Kym (new)

Kym | 1058 comments Amazon has it on kindle.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Big Picture (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Douglas Kennedy (other topics)