1. Captain Corelli’s Mandolin by Louis de Bernières

2. David Copperfield by Charles Dickens

3. Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling

4. The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini

5. The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien

6. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

7. The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro

8. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

Two of my favorite books of all time are on this list- The Lord of the Rings and Pride and Prejudice. Before I got distracted by school and work, I would reread those every year; they're incredibly high on my list of books I want to read this year. I love how both are written, the prose, the characters- Tolkien, specifically, is a master at world building.

I'm also in the middle of slowly rereading Harry Potter. I just finished The Half-Blood Prince. I really enjoy the series, despite the more childish nature of the first book. You can really watch Rowling grow in her writing as the books progress.

I haven't read any of the others, though I have heard good things about The Kite Runner. Perhaps I will pick that one up, if I'm not too busy with The Lord of the Rings.

Marialyce (absltmom, yaya) Oh wow! This is a super list! I have read To Kill a Mockingbird, Pride and Prejudice, The Lord of the Rings, The Kite Runner, and The Remains of the Day and some of the Harry Potter series. Fantastic books btw. Maybe someday I will get to David Copperfield.

Right now I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of the first three Ross Poldark in the series, a mother's day present. If you have not seen the seasons 1 and 2 yet, I strongly urge you to take a look. Fantastic! Plus Ross Poldark is just dreamy. It is on amazon prime.

message 3: by Jodie (new)

Jodie Reha I have read Captain Corelli's Mandoln (beautiful!) and The Kite Runner. (By the way, you must also read Khaled Hosseini's A Thousand Different Suns). I think I read Pride and Prejudice and To Kill a Mockingbird in college. I may need to check them out again and (re)read. My son and I listened to the first 3 Harry Potter books on CD in the car driving home from school. Unfortunately, our schedules changed and we never picked it up again. I think we need to revisit Harry Potter!

message 4: by Joanna (new)

Joanna | 697 comments Mod
Marialyce wrote: "Oh wow! This is a super list! I have read To Kill a Mockingbird, Pride and Prejudice, The Lord of the Rings, The Kite Runner, and [book:The Remains of..."

The new version of Poldark? If so, I definitely agree- Aidan Turner is dreamy. I will have to check out the show at some point; right now, I'm watching so many other things, it's hard to keep up!

Jodie wrote: "I have read Captain Corelli's Mandoln (beautiful!) and The Kite Runner. (By the way, you must also read Khaled Hosseini's A Thousand Different Suns). I think I read Pride and Prejudice and To Kill ..."

I would highly recommend Pride and Prejudice. I remember my mom forcing me to read it for school and getting three chapters in and falling in love. It's been one of my favorites ever since. And of course, Harry Potter is always great.

message 5: by Ann (new)

Ann (ann-fracturedfiction) | 446 comments I have only read two of the books on the list: Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter (big surprise, I'm sure). When I was younger, I reread Lord of the Rings so many times that I got so I could reread the whole trilogy in a weekend.
I love Sense & Sensibility, so I'll try Pride & Prejudice.