World, Writing, Wealth discussion

Announcements & Book Promotions > Apex Magazine (Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Horror) - Currently open for short story submissions

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alex (new)

Alex (asato) Apex Magazine is open to short fiction submissions. They pay $0.06/word up to 7,500 words of original fiction.

https://www.apex-magazine.com/submiss...

They're an SFWA-qualified venue.

(I already submitted.)

message 2: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (chirpybird) | 26 comments Alex wrote: "Apex Magazine is open to short fiction submissions. They pay $0.06/word up to 7,500 words of original fiction.

https://www.apex-magazine.com/submiss...

They're an SFWA-qualified venue..."

Ooooh, thank you for posting this!

message 3: by Alex (new)

Alex (asato) Are you going to submit? Which genre?

14 days ago I was #587 in the queue and today (I just checked ^_^), I'm 291. So roughly a 4-week turnaround.

message 4: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (chirpybird) | 26 comments Alex wrote: "Are you going to submit? Which genre?

14 days ago I was #587 in the queue and today (I just checked ^_^), I'm 291. So roughly a 4-week turnaround."

I wanted to, but the short story I have that would work exceeds their word count limit. If you hear of any more, though, I'd love to know!

message 5: by Marie Silk (new)

Marie Silk | 1020 comments Good luck, Alex!!

message 6: by Alex (new)

Alex (asato) Ah. Mine exceeded 6k also--at first. I cut out scenes and paragraphs and word and phrases here and there. The flash fiction (1200w) that i submitted was actually a scene that I cut from the 7500-word piece. I joined a local writers group last month and they gave me solid feedback on the flash piece. So I fixed it up and submitted it. Although I didn't have to, That rework resulted in rework of the larger piece in terms of character and plot consistency. But now my 6k piece is almost ready! One more pass today. If my current submission is rejexted then I'll submit the 6k piece.

I try and post what's open or going to be open in horror and fantasy and that usually includes sci-fi. So you can just search for my name or browse the annoubpncements folder. Ottomh (off the top of my head), dailysciencefiction.com (flash) is always open. Firesidefiction.com )flash) might be open. Pseudopod.org (horror, short) opens on 1 aug, which is the next one I'm shooting for.

Maybe I'll put together a spreadsheet one of these days.

But meanwhile, you can check out Sfwa.org and horror.org for short fiction market listings. I probably made an announcement with the direct URL but I'm too lazy to search for it now ;p

message 7: by Alex (last edited Jun 06, 2017 09:54AM) (new)

Alex (asato) Marie Silk wrote: "Good luck, Alex!!"

Thx, Marie!

I just have to keep improving, writing to spec and submitting.

EDIT: well, on second thought not writing to spec, but trying to converge what they want with what I can currently write. ^_^