Terminalcoffee discussion

Books / Writing > Recommendations

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17334 comments Mod
I need a new book to read - do you guys have any recent recommendations? I'd be happy to read anything, new or old.

message 2: by Lobstergirl, el principe (last edited Jun 03, 2017 04:11PM) (new)

Lobstergirl | 24265 comments Mod
The Monastery by Walter Scott

More Die of Heartbreak by Saul Bellow

If you want something kind of Woolfian and morose set in 1930s England, The Living and the Dead.

message 3: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

If you're looking for a book about a troubled marriage because a woman falls in love with a horse, Mercury.

message 4: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Do you like very dark books about bad parenting and alcoholism? Although every single blurb called his book funny, I didn't find it so. Well written, but nothing about it was the least funny to me.

Jernigan

message 5: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 3434 comments Don't know what you're looking for, but try The Homesman. Don't be put off by the fact that it looks like a Western. It's much more than that. Or maybe Larry Brown's A Miracle of Catfish just for fun.

message 6: by evie (new)

evie (ecie) | 4289 comments The Homesman was a memorable movie. I have the book on my TBR list.

message 7: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 3434 comments I hope you enjoy it like I did. The movie followed the book very well but, as we know, the book is always better :)

message 8: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

The Day I Died was terrible.

message 9: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

You might enjoy The Song of the Lark since you have lived in small-town Colorado.