The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

SUMMER CHALLENGE 2017 > 20.6 - Seasoned Reader - Marie-Anne's Task: Medieval Time Technologies

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by SRC Moderator (last edited Jun 04, 2017 02:53PM) (new)

SRC Moderator | 4926 comments Mod
Task 20.6 - Seasoned Reader- Marie-Anne's Task: Medieval Time Technologies

This period lasted from about the 5th to the 15th century, from the fall of the Roman Empire to the start of the Renaissance. This task is a one book task, inspired by a few of the key inventions and technologies from this era.
To get started, roll a virtual die, and use the number you get as specified in one of the options below.

REQUIRED: State the number you rolled and the option you choose.

Option 1: Printing Press: Ultimately giving us the gift of books! In honor of this invention, read a book with the number of words in the title you rolled. Only the title can be used, no subtitles. Words are separated by spaces.

Option 2: Numbering System: During this era the Arabic numbering system replaced Roman Numerals, and thus significantly influenced progress in science and mathematics. In honor of this, read a book where the number you rolled appears in the date the book was first published.

Option 3: Spinning wheel: Probably invented in India between 500 and 1,000 AD, reached Europe in the 13th century and replaced hand spinning and spurred major changes in the textile industry. The color of clothing had specific meaning in the Medieval Age. For example, white was a symbol of purity and compassion, while blue became more and more desirable during this period, eventually replacing red as the royal color.

If you rolled a 1, 2, or 3 read a book with a piece of clothing on the cover made of white fabric (fabric only, not leather or fur for example). The article of clothing must be at least 75% white. The clothing can be worn or not, but must be clearly identifiable as a wearable piece of clothing.

If you rolled a 4, 5 or 6 read a book with a piece of clothing on the cover, made of blue fabric (fabric only, not leather or fur for example). The article of clothing must be at least 75% blue. The clothing can be worn or not, but must be clearly identifiable as a wearable piece of clothing.
REQUIRED: Include the cover in your post

message 2: by Marie-Anne (last edited Jun 05, 2017 05:06PM) (new)

Marie-Anne | 650 comments Works!

Option 3: white
Daughter of Australia by Harmony Verna Schasm by Shari J. Ryan Treasure of Green Knowe (Green Knowe, #2) by L.M. Boston

Option 3: blue
The Pearl That Broke Its Shell by Nadia Hashimi : (The skirt on the right)

message 3: by Marie-Anne (last edited Jun 03, 2017 07:05AM) (new)

Marie-Anne | 650 comments Does not work

message 4: by SRC Moderator (new)

SRC Moderator | 4926 comments Mod
This thread is now open

message 5: by Kathy G. (new)

Kathy G. | 2073 comments Would you call this white???

Daughter of Australia by Harmony Verna

Thanks

message 6: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 3000 comments One word title with a piece of white clothing- Schasm (Schasm, #1) by Shari J. Ryan

message 7: by Bridgett (new)

Bridgett (brikie) | 6 comments Should I we be rolling one die or two?

message 8: by Marie-Anne (new)

Marie-Anne | 650 comments Kathy G. wrote: "Would you call this white???

Thanks"

Yes that works!

message 9: by Marie-Anne (new)

Marie-Anne | 650 comments BriKie wrote: "Should I we be rolling one die or two?"

Just a single one.

message 10: by Wanda (last edited Jun 04, 2017 08:47PM) (new)

Wanda (oma1229) | 1693 comments Would this be acceptable for white clothing?

Treasure of Green Knowe (Green Knowe, #2) by L.M. Boston

Treasure of Green Knowe

message 11: by Kathy G. (new)

Kathy G. | 2073 comments Marie-Anne wrote: "Kathy G. wrote: "Would you call this white???

Thanks"

Yes that works!"

Thank you!

message 12: by Trish (last edited Jun 04, 2017 11:29PM) (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 2540 comments I think I'm being a bit slow, so I just wanted to clarify. The bit about a 1-3 needing white clothing and 4-6 needing blue clothing only applies if you choose option 3, right?

message 13: by Bridgett (new)

Bridgett (brikie) | 6 comments Could I get this verified for blue? The GR picture doesn't enlarge well so here is an additional link to Amazon.

The Pearl That Broke Its Shell by Nadia Hashimi

message 14: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7688 comments For option 2 - can the number appear in the year (being part of the date) or are you meaning day specifically?

message 15: by Marie-Anne (new)

Marie-Anne | 650 comments Trish wrote: "I think I'm being a bit slow, so I just wanted to clarify. The bit about a 1-3 needing white clothing and 4-6 needing blue clothing only applies if you choose option 3, right?"

Yes, that is correct, only for option 3.

message 16: by Marie-Anne (last edited Jun 05, 2017 04:55PM) (new)

Marie-Anne | 650 comments BriKie wrote: "Could I get this verified for blue? The GR picture doesn't enlarge well so here is an additional link to Amazon.

The Pearl That Broke Its Shell by Nadia Hashimi"

Yes, the garment underneath the green shawl is definitely blue on the Amazon link. Accepted.

message 17: by Marie-Anne (new)

Marie-Anne | 650 comments Wanda wrote: "Would this be acceptable for white clothing?

Treasure of Green Knowe (Green Knowe, #2) by L.M. Boston

Treasure of Green Knowe"

Yes, the Tshirt is acceptable as white.

message 18: by Marie-Anne (new)

Marie-Anne | 650 comments Dee wrote: "For option 2 - can the number appear in the year (being part of the date) or are you meaning day specifically?"

Yes, the number can appear in the year.

message 19: by Marie-Anne (new)

Marie-Anne | 650 comments Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "One word title with a piece of white clothing- Schasm (Schasm, #1) by Shari J. Ryan"

Yes, that works!

message 20: by Katrina (new)

Katrina (katrinasreads) | 207 comments I have a book called Release by Patrick Ness.

I just wanted to confirm the rules this is listed as YA and meant for YA - but not listed as children or kids.
It not on the AR list but I presume that is because it has only been out a week or so. All of the author's other books meet the requirement.

Thanks for your help

message 21: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 16187 comments Mod
Katrina wrote: "I have a book called Release by Patrick Ness.

I just wanted to confirm the rules this is listed as YA and meant for YA - but not listed as children or kids.
It not on the AR list..."

Books cannot be confirmed as "not childrens genre" - if it's only been out a week or so, genres may change quite a bit.

message 22: by Kim (new)

Kim | 664 comments Are these acceptable for white clothing?

Sirius by Jonathan Crown (trousers)
The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger (socks)
Circling the Sun by Paula McLain (blouse)
Mother Angelica The Remarkable Story of a Nun, Her Nerve, and a Network of Miracles by Raymond Arroyo (wimple)

Thank you.

message 23: by Marie-Anne (new)

Marie-Anne | 650 comments Kim wrote: "Are these acceptable for white clothing?

Sirius by Jonathan Crown (trousers)
The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger (socks)
Circling the Sun by Paula McLain (blouse)
[bookcover:Mother ..."

Yes, all those work!

message 24: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 1314 comments just making sure- the number I rolled can be in the day as well, correct- ie March 28th, I rolled a 2- this date works.

message 25: by Marie-Anne (new)

Marie-Anne | 650 comments Nicole wrote: "just making sure- the number I rolled can be in the day as well, correct- ie March 28th, I rolled a 2- this date works."

Yes, if it is in the date when the book was first published, it works.

message 26: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (sandra72) | 726 comments I rolled a 1. For option 3, would this work for a piece of white clothing?

Handle with Care by Jodi Picoult

message 27: by Marie-Anne (new)

Marie-Anne | 650 comments Sandra wrote: "I rolled a 1. For option 3, would this work for a piece of white clothing?

Handle with Care by Jodi Picoult"

Yes, that works for white clothing!