World, Writing, Wealth discussion

World & Current Events > Are you ready for a charm attack?

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13482 comments Very soon American public will be presented with The Putin Interviews, produced by Oliver Stone and slated to be broadcast shortly on Showtime and Sky Atlantic in the UK: https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-ra... . The pitch is SnowDen.
Of course, it should probably be something interesting for English speaking public (and not only).
My own observations though tell me that timing of such things is seldom random and it could well be a 'warming up' for what?
Removal of sanctions, softening of the atmosphere surrounding the probe, better relations? But it can be just my wild imagination working extra hours about a perfectly pre-scheduled summer-show release.
What do you think?

message 2: by Philip (new)

Philip (phenweb) The Snowden film was good, I thought, so it will be interesting to see how Putin gets depicted. Cannot see Oliver Stone being that sympathetic but who know.

message 3: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13482 comments Philip wrote: "The Snowden film was good, I thought, so it will be interesting to see how Putin gets depicted. Cannot see Oliver Stone being that sympathetic but who know."

There will be 'hard questions' for sure, but I equally believe Putin wouldn't have cooperated with something ultimately negative about him.
They might see it as a good opportunity for punchlines like this one: ‘Our intelligence services always conform to the law’ , as appears just under the pic in the Guardian's article -:)

message 4: by J.J. (new)

J.J. Mainor | 2145 comments NBC's been showing clips on their news from the Megyn Kelly interview. Saw one this morning where Putin denying the claims Russia was behind the attacks says something to the extent that the hackers could be from anywhere...Russia, China, even the US. For a moment, I thought he was going to blame the guy at home in bed weighing 400lbs...

message 5: by Ian (new)

Ian Miller | 9501 comments I rather suspect Putin cooperated because he has nothing to lose. He won't be expecting favours from Oliver Stone, but he will know that Oliver Stone has to be a major improvement on the frothing emerging from the extremes of Congress politicians. And, of course, we might even get some information.

message 6: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13482 comments Taliban's charm attack following non-combative military sweep offered more surprised than Stone. Have they reformed and become charmers? What do you think?

message 7: by Philip (new)

Philip (phenweb) Wait and see - whilst they were playing up to cameras in Kabul demonstrators were allegedly shot elsewhere

message 8: by Ian (new)

Ian Miller | 9501 comments They may be charmers in front of a TV camera, but then so were people like Hitler and Göbbels. Let's judge them by what they do, not by smiling TV presentations.

Another interesting question is whether they have the internal discipline to be "good guys" and not bully, pillage, whatever

message 9: by Ian (new)

Ian Miller | 9501 comments Apparently the charm may have limits. According to our news, the latest from the Taliban is they are going door to door, looking for "people of interest". To be charming to them???

message 10: by Graeme (new)

Graeme Rodaughan | 7229 comments Ian wrote: "Apparently the charm may have limits. According to our news, the latest from the Taliban is they are going door to door, looking for "people of interest". To be charming to them???"

Lots of charm to go around.