Old Souls Book Club discussion

Have a question? Ask the group! > How are you dealing with pulling out of Climate Accord?

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Saiisha (new)

Saiisha | 544 comments Mod
My heart shrank a little when I heard how we so casually pulled out of the Paris Climate Accord. But just because politicians pull out, it doesn't mean that the people stop feeling anxious about climate change. Physical changes, calamities and consequences are not the only outcomes of an impending crisis. What about the psychological anxiety that people are undergoing in the interim?

How are you dealing with it?

message 2: by James (new)

James Allen (james_allen) | 73 comments There hasn't been nearly enough done in the last 20 years. I've been disheartened about climate change since I first heard about it. The emissions reductions in the Paris Climate Accord would not do anywhere near enough and there is no time for more later on. The only thing now is for a way to be found to reduce greenhouse gases that are already in the atmosphere.

The Earth is already in a warming feedback loop that is about to get worse with the release of methane that has long been buried under the ice. There is a recent story of craters in the arctic created where methane has already been released and they are considered small ones; the big ones coming later.

Not to mention the Himalayan glaciers disappearing that provide water for a fifth of humanity or ocean acidification.

There are a few glimmers of hope. Bhutan is carbon negative. China, India, Europe, almost everyone except the U.S., are finally seeing a need to do something. Maybe the scientists and engineers in the world will come up with a solution.

Personally, right now, I have greater anxieties. I'm worried about climate change for my children. I think within twenty years, the world will be a much different place.

message 3: by Julie (new)

Julie | 53 comments Let me say that I didn't know the Paris Climate Accord existed until the U.S. pulled out. With that said, it brought awareness to the issue of this global community that I wasn't aware of and I'm sure I'm not the only one. So, although I don't agree with what has happened, it brought awareness to so many people to take action and do something, and I find that a massive positive.

We as a group, we as a community, we as the human race, we're the ones that are going to change the world and it's up to us to figure out which direction.

I've said my $0.02 yet again. lol Best to everyone!

message 4: by Kris (new)

Kris (krisg11) | 27 comments I am disheartened that a single individual can make such drastic change to important policy that was accepted by the majority of the world. The accord is an opportunity to change what we do today to make a better tomorrow. Whether we like it or not the U.S. is the second largest emitter of greenhouse gases behind China. We are now categorized in policy with Syria and Nicaragua. I do appreciate Bloomberg and other business tycoons along with cities and states staying the course and doing what they can to work and live within the parameters of this agree. If you have not watched "Chasing Ice" it is a fantastic real time view of climate change.

message 5: by Barbara (new)

Barbara | 127 comments I am okay with pulling out of the climate control accord. The fact was that the U.S. was giving other countries billions of dollars to clean up their air (ie. China, who stated that they have no intention of giving up coal usage) Of course other countries are disturbed, they were counting on our dollars to plump up their economy. I think the President will reevaluate and make a counter offer, but expect other countries to carry their own weight as we approach cleaning up our planet. I also am one who sees climate change as a pattern that has gone on for millions of years - our earth is a self sustaining biosphere and will do whatever it needs to cleanse and renew itself. It has done this many times before, but this time there are so many of us watching and becoming anxious as we witness it . I am all for taking whatever steps necessary to curb our emissions of greenhouse gases and clean up our paper and plastic usage - I been doing this for the last twenty years and tried to teach my kids as well. Whether "enough" do it will be determined by what happens in the future and yes, I worry more about the coming generations for they will reap the outcome.

message 6: by Saiisha (new)

I'm loving this open-hearted discussion, thank you everyone!! Yes, we all have different thoughts, opinions and perspectives, but it's heart-warming to see that we all want the best for our children, grand children and future generations (and not being short-sighted because of power and money).

The planet has been able to sustain itself for millions of years, because no other species has had such a negative impact on it as the human species. It is the nature of Nature to evolve, expand and eventually explode (or implode). However it's a matter of time when that could happen, and why. We are children of nature, and so we depend on this planet as our only home (as of now), so it would make sense to keep it clean, and take care of it, rather than act like spoiled children who only take, take, take :) That reminds me of Shel Silverstein's childrens book "The Giving Tree" - a great book for adults of this generation too :)

message 7: by Barbara (new)

Barbara | 127 comments I love 'The Giving Tree' also!!

message 8: by Julie (new)

Julie | 53 comments Not to change the subject but I answered a question on Goodreads once about "What does The Giving Tree mean to you" and the answers were all incredibly diverse, as is something on a topic like this.

message 9: by Saiisha (new)

Julie wrote: "Not to change the subject but I answered a question on Goodreads once about "What does The Giving Tree mean to you" and the answers were all incredibly diverse, as is something on a topic like this."

Please feel free to post the link if you still have it around Julie!

message 10: by Julie (new)

Julie | 53 comments I just looked it up and it's more like what do you think the moral is from the giving tree is, but the answers are equally interesting (even mine - lol).

Another discussion for another day.

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 11: by Saiisha (new)

Julie wrote: "I just looked it up and it's more like what do you think the moral is from the giving tree is, but the answers are equally interesting (even mine - lol).

Another discussion for another day.

http..."

What a fascinating string of comments Julie, thanks for sharing! I was shocked at how many people said they hated the book. Love it or hate it, I think it does create intense thoughts / feelings of what it means, and there's certainly a message there for everyone.

message 12: by Darius (last edited Nov 14, 2018 06:42AM) (new)

Darius Murretti | 7 comments Do you think that as an Incentive to denies and lazy believers we show them evidence of reincarnation ?
Because if deniers/lazy believers knew that THEY not their grandchildren would be facing the consequences of their actions i think they would be more concerned about climate change :
Here is my friends playlist of 24 documentary videos about a total of over 200 investigations of children claiming to be a person who recently died whom no one in the child's family knew but when investigated the child's memories checked out :
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...
If we can get people to accept this abundant scientific evidence it may motivate them to them to become vegetarian , conserve electricity and gas and recycle which would have a huge impact on green house gas reduction .
What do you think ?

message 13: by Darius (new)

Darius Murretti | 7 comments If our karma is heavy our next birth will be in the lower species
description
and we will come and go in the lower species for many many lives before getting the human form again
description
to eat meat when we could live off a plant based diet is to waste the gift of discrimination to chose the better course and behave like a dumb animal so thats what you'd get to be .
BUT if we live on vegan diet and do good deeds with devotion to God
description
we shall be born human again and again until by mediation and selfless service we are granted liberation from birth and death and go to live with the perfect one

message 14: by Saiisha (new)

Darius wrote: "Do you think that as an Incentive to denies and lazy believers we show them evidence of reincarnation ?
Because if deniers/lazy believers knew that THEY not their grandchildren would be facing the..."

Ha ha! You have a great sense of humor Darius, and I see where you're coming from. I've heard opinions that say we're not meant to know that we've been here before, so that we forget, and live each life as a fresh, new one. However, I truly think there's a lot of merit to recognizing the cycle of rebirth and reincarnations to help us get a better perspective, and become more responsible of our own actions, beliefs and behaviors! Thanks for sharing the compilation of children's past life memories - sounds fascinating!!

message 15: by Darius (last edited Nov 17, 2018 12:24PM) (new)

Darius Murretti | 7 comments Saiisha wrote: "Darius wrote: "Do you think that as an Incentive to denies and lazy believers we show them evidence of reincarnation ?
Because if deniers/lazy believers knew that THEY not their grandchildren woul..."

heaven and hell are within the cycle of reincarnation .
If we are very bad we go to hell then are born as a tree then work our way up through the 8,400.000 spices to life to human form again

If we are very good we go to heaven then get another human birth in very good circumstances .( extremely loving and knowledgeable and powerful family )

If we are good we get another human birth in good circumstances( loving , knowledgeable, respected family )

If we are average we get another human birth in average circumstances (average love and knowledge family )

If we are bad we will be human again but in bad circumstances ( unloving ignorant family )

If we are average and harbor animal tendencies (lust and anger ) we will be born as a 4 legged mammal , bird , reptile (if we mainly used our reptile brain insect ) in average circumstances

If we were bad and harbored animal desires will be born as an animal in bad circumstances and not get human form again for millions of lives .

If during our human life we come across a human being who has merged his soul into god via surat shabd yoga and we are "initated" by him into surat shabd yoga and by practicing surat shabd yoga merge our soul into god during our human life time or at least rise on the sound current past the lower heavenly regions and see the radiant form of our master(who is god in human form ) then we shall keep rising with him after death stage by stage until we finally reach and merge in God . God is the only being who does not have to reincarnate . (unless he wants to become a surat shabd yoga master to liberate souls --there has never been a time on earth when at least one on incarnation of God was not here---sometimes there have been many all at once --I know of 3-4 now --Kandi and i will be gone nov 19- dec24 seeing one or more of them ) and will be off line...
for more information see chapter 7 of this free ebook :
http://www.bahaistudies.net/asma/path...
(note surat shabd yoga is NOT Bahai they just have this book in their free online library )

message 16: by RbbieFrah (new)

RbbieFrah | 4 comments https://climatevegan.org/why-become-a... says :

Is the single most impactful thing an individual can do to combat climate change. Far more effective than more commonly known methods such as driving fuel-efficient cars, recycling, using energy-saving light bulbs or taking shorter showers. Each day, a person who eats a vegan diet saves:
1,100 gallons of water
45 pounds of grain
30 sq ft of forested land
20 lbs CO2 equivalent