Reading 1001 discussion

Archives > 2. Robots vs. humanity

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1608 comments Mod
Asimov tended to be a pessimist about humanity. Late in life, he allowed the possibility that humans might improve in the future. “But still,” he said, “people tend to do things that harm Humanity.” Do you agree or disagree with Asimov’s pessimism? Why or why not? What, for Asimov, makes robots “a better breed” than us?

message 2: by Book (new)

Book Wormy | 1822 comments Mod
I agree with Asimov the biggest threat to humanity is humans whether it be through war, waste of resources or just plain simple bad habits like smoking, drinking and drugs.

Robots are a better breed because they work on logic and mathematical parameters they are essentially incapable of doing the damage that humans do.

message 3: by Kristel (new)

Kristel (kristelh) | 3831 comments Mod
I am pretty pessimistic about humanity, too. We don't seem to learn and it is humanities nature to be self centered. We don't follow the golden rule and put others before ourselves.

message 4: by Diane (new)

Diane | 1938 comments I totally agree with Asimov's pessimism. We are humanity's worst enemy. I see Asimov's view that robots are a better breed, but I also believe that they are often limited my the humans that create them.

message 5: by Kristel (new)

Kristel (kristelh) | 3831 comments Mod
Agree Diane!