UK Amazon Kindle Forum discussion

General Chat - anything Goes > 'Classic works of Literature' found when tidying up

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jim (new)

Jim | 21876 comments Tidying up one room and came upon these two great works

'Amstrad Personal Computer Word Processor' PCW 8256/8512

and

'The working amstrad' a library of practical subroutines and programmes.

From an era when you copied subroutines and programmes by hand out of a book!

message 2: by Will (new)

Will Once (willonce) | 4053 comments I recently bought a collection of photography magazines from a camera shop. All 135 issues in 9 volumes of "you and your camera" circa late seventies to early eighties. Scrupulously collected into the official binders and looked after with far more patience than I could manage.

All film camera stuff, of course, although the stuff about composition and techniques is still (mostly) relevant.

But oh the clothes we wore back then!

message 3: by Jim (last edited Jun 02, 2017 05:21AM) (new)

Jim | 21876 comments My late father in law worked as an industrial chemist in film processing and wrote four books on such topics as 'Expedition photography' and the best way of taking and developing medical x rays
We have a copy of each book which will go to one of his granddaughters in due time :-)

message 4: by David (new)

David Hadley | 4873 comments Jim wrote: "Tidying up one room and came upon these two great works

'Amstrad Personal Computer Word Processor' PCW 8256/8512

and

'The working amstrad' a library of practical subroutines and programmes.

Fr..."

I had one of them. Well, a 9512.

Locomotive Basic, or something like that, wasn't it?

message 5: by Jim (new)

Jim | 21876 comments yes that's the one. It had far better 'copy/paste' options that Microsoft has yet and a botanically active dictionary running the word processor spell check

Rosemary (grooving with the Picts) (nosemanny) | 9081 comments I recently came across my Sunbeam S7 original manual. That's from a previous life when I was a biker. :)
Logarithm tables, anyone?

message 7: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25061 comments I've got my granddad's log tables. Something ridiculous like to 10 places or summat. He was an engineer. My dad was too, but he was modern. He used a slide rule.

message 8: by Pat () (last edited Jun 03, 2017 01:13AM) (new)

Pat ()  | 29 comments Does the old ZX81, ram pack and manual count?

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments Pat (Scorpio) wrote: "Does the old ZX81, ram pack and manual count?"

We had one of those, with a thermal printer.

message 10: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9478 comments Jim wrote: "From an era when you copied subroutines and programmes by hand out of a book! "

Followed by 3 days of trying to find the typo that stopped it working (before realising the error was in the book), and eventually writing your own much better version.

I remember it well!

message 11: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9478 comments Gingerlily - Mistress Lantern wrote: "Pat (Scorpio) wrote: "Does the old ZX81, ram pack and manual count?"

We had one of those, with a thermal printer."

Ah yes, the silver till roll and smell of ozone . . .

message 12: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9478 comments Then you accidentally knocked the computer and the whole thing crashed!

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments And my first computer program ever, to make "Hello World" appear on the screen... It only went downhill from there.

message 14: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9478 comments For all of us, indeed.