Reading 1001 discussion

Archives > 4. Why was Gloria’s mother unable to accept Robbie as an excellent nursemaid?

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1608 comments Mod
Why was Gloria’s mother unable to accept Robbie as an excellent nursemaid? Was Robbie premonitory on Asimov’s part—a prediction that children in the twenty-first century might form intense emotional attachments to electronics?

message 2: by Book (new)

Book Wormy | 1922 comments Mod
I think she feared technology and could never trust him 100% which is illogical as there would be just as much risk with a human nursemaid.

I am not sure children now have an intense emotional attachment to electronics I think they are more likely to be addicted the things that electronics can give them such as access to peers 24/7

message 3: by Paula (new)

Paula S (paula_s) | 220 comments I agree with Book that the problem was Gloria's mother's fear of new technology. The way Asimov wrote the story I felt it was a bit misogynistic - she didn't like Robbie because she was a technophobe just like other women!

And I think that modern parents' fears of their children's attachment to electronics are similar to Gloria's mother's fear.

message 4: by Diane (last edited Jun 20, 2017 05:51AM) (new)

Diane | 2021 comments I agree with Book and Paula.