World, Writing, Wealth discussion

All Things Writing & Publishing > How to do an anthology?

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Graeme (new)

Graeme Rodaughan | 7093 comments Does anyone here have specific advice on how do an anthology were writers are offering their work and the book for free or a small amount?

message 2: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13109 comments We've done it once, so I guess it can be repeated, if there are enough interested authors and enthusiasts willing to compile and publish...

message 3: by Michel (new)

Michel Poulin You may want to ask Matthew Williams, a member of this group, as he has been directing the writing of an anthology sci-fi story. I wrote a couple of chapter drafts for that anthology but found it hard to adjust my drafts with the other drafts. Unless your anthology has only short stories that are completely disconnected from each other, the various authors participating in the anthology must closely coordinate their works, to avoid inconsistencies between the stories.

message 4: by Marie Silk (new)

Marie Silk | 1020 comments It can be tricky when it comes to who uses their account to publish and what to do about taxes and income. Probably the best way to avoid issues is to list the anthology for permafree. I've seen a couple anthology projects go south resulting in unhappy authors so it's wise to keep communication open so everyone is on the same page about what happens to their story and who gets credit for what.

message 5: by Hákon (new)

Hákon Gunnarsson | 16 comments One anthology I was involved in was done for charity.

message 6: by Hákon (last edited Jun 02, 2017 12:53PM) (new)

Hákon Gunnarsson | 16 comments Anyway Nik, if you are going to made another anthology, I might like to take part in that.

message 7: by Graeme (new)

Graeme Rodaughan | 7093 comments Thanks all,

There are a few writers associated with the 'Castle Dracula' group who are looking at making an anthology of vampire related short stories with (perhaps) a common theme.

We're looking for advice about the mechanics, and I suspect the book will go permafree to keep it simple.

message 8: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13109 comments Hákon wrote: "Anyway Nik, if you are going to made another anthology, I might like to take part in that."

Sure, if we come up with another one, we'd take you into account

message 9: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13109 comments Graeme Rodaughan wrote: "We're looking for advice about the mechanics ..."

If it helps our process was as follows: until a specific date announced in advance all participating authors submitted their drafts to a publishing author, who used another author for editing and proofreading, and returned the proofed manuscripts to their respective authors for final check and approval. One of the volunteers did the cover and a publishing author published. Each author can then claim being one of the authors and Amazon (and maybe other retailers too) will let their names appear as authors and will add the book to author's page...
Finances, rights and all - it's something you need to agree between yourselves..

message 10: by Graeme (new)

Graeme Rodaughan | 7093 comments Thanks Nik,

Much appreciated.

Cheers Graeme

message 11: by Hákon (new)

Hákon Gunnarsson | 16 comments Nik wrote: "Hákon wrote: "Anyway Nik, if you are going to made another anthology, I might like to take part in that."

Sure, if we come up with another one, we'd take you into account"

Thanks Nik. :-)

message 12: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) The idea is you want to have a good amount of writers interested to submit their work. You of course want specific's like word counts along with rules and regulations. I have several stories in anthologies but I know if I were to start one myself I would need someone to help me just because I wouldn't want to do all the work.

message 13: by Hákon (new)

Hákon Gunnarsson | 16 comments Hi Justin, I have also been part of a few anthologies myself. Never been the editor though, but on some I have worked more than just submitting a story. So I could be willing to help.

message 14: by J.D. (new)

J.D. Cunegan (jdcunegan) | 60 comments I'd love to take part in an anthology. But no one's asked me to yet, so...

message 15: by Hákon (new)

Hákon Gunnarsson | 16 comments J.D. wrote: "I'd love to take part in an anthology. But no one's asked me to yet, so..."

So maybe there are three on this thread that would like to take part in a anthology.