Reading Is Fun discussion

To Kill a Mockingbird
This topic is about To Kill a Mockingbird
BUDDY READING > To Kill a Mockingbird

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Gavin Abdollahi  (gavthereader) | 202 comments Mod
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

This is a Buddy Read for Harper Lee's To Kill a Mockingbird, which is considered to be one of literature's greatest masterpieces.

Start Date: June 16, 2017

Poonam I will try to join on this one!

Woohoo!

Adi Rocks Socks (adirockssocks) I'd also like to join this buddy read, whenever we're doing it. I'm reading the book a second time, though.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

I'll try to join on this one toooooo

Juan Manuel | 6 comments Gentelmen, it's a go,

Let us begin!

Poonam I have bought the book and am ready to start today :))

What say you guys to reading up to chapter 10 by the end of tomorrow?

Poonam Gavin wrote: "What say you guys to reading up to chapter 10 by the end of tomorrow?"

Sounds fine to me. Let's do till chp 10 by tomorrow :))

So, Juan, Poonam, and whoever else may be reading this one, is this a first-timer or a re-read?

message 12: by Juan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Juan Manuel | 6 comments Hi Gavin.
I just read the first 10 chapters.
It is my first reading, although I had a strong deja vu feeling at a couple of moments.
I am really enjoying it.

Poonam Gavin wrote: "So, Juan, Poonam, and whoever else may be reading this one, is this a first-timer or a re-read?"

Well this is a first time read for me. I haven't yet finished the first 10 chapters. But I will try to catch-up on my Reading today.

Hi guys!
This is a reread for me, and I really liked it the first time around. I can see that I made no mistake describing it as funny!
Finished the first 10 chapters...
What do you guys think about the story? Any likes or dislikes?
How many chapter should we read next?

message 15: by Juan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Juan Manuel | 6 comments Up to 20?
Everything related to aunt Alexandra bores me quite a bit.
I'm really liking everything else.

Juan wrote: "Up to 20?
Everything related to aunt Alexandra bores me quite a bit.
I'm really liking everything else."

20's good for me!
Aunt Alexandra...
She doesn't really make any important impact on this book, but, if I'm not mixing names up, I believe that she plays a bigger role in the sequel.

Finished chapter 20!
K, two questions:
Do you guys think that Atticus will be able to win the case?
Have you watched the movie adaptation?

message 18: by Juan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Juan Manuel | 6 comments Hi, I am sorry... I kind of got really into the book and read it all the way. Thing is, I loved it, all the trials feels like a different book (a very good one too).
I think that even if you are watching the story through the eyes of Scout, it's Atticus story.

Juan wrote: "Hi, I am sorry... I kind of got really into the book and read it all the way. Thing is, I loved it, all the trials feels like a different book (a very good one too).
I think that even if you are wa..."

Haha, no problem! Glad you liked it!
I myself haven't been able to read it for quite a bit, cuz my book got placed in a box that has yet to be unpacked.

Poonam I am sorry but I am soo behind in my reading schedule this month! I am trying to catch up though and the weekend should help. I have started with this and am now on Chp 9. This is my first time reading it and I am loving it soo far.

It really surprised me that we are looking into the story with the eyes of a small child. I somehow did not expect that but I am thoroughly enjoying it.

Will this thread be open for discussion in July?

Poonam wrote: "I am sorry but I am soo behind in my reading schedule this month! I am trying to catch up though and the weekend should help. I have started with this and am now on Chp 9. This is my first time rea..."

Of course! It'll be open until all the readers finish.
In your opinion, does the POV sound like a child's? I personally felt like it was an adult Scout reminiscing.
Anyone up for a BR for Go Set a Watchman (the sequel) after this?

message 22: by Poonam (last edited Jun 30, 2017 10:59AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Poonam Gavin wrote: "Poonam wrote: "I am sorry but I am soo behind in my reading schedule this month! I am trying to catch up though and the weekend should help. I have started with this and am now on Chp 9. This is my..."

Oh great. I really don't want to hurry in reading this book. I am liking the writing and want to savour this.
I think we are looking at the world from the eyes of a 7 yr old who is very much influenced and in awe of her elder brother.

Poonam And yes I would like a buddy read of the sequel.

Great!
So far, who's your fav character?

Poonam Gavin wrote: "Great!
So far, who's your fav character?"

I really like Scout and Jem. More importantly I like their relation. Beautiful sibling love. What about you?

Personally, I like Atticus the most.
Have you seen the movie version? I watched it yesterday, and it was a pretty faithful adaptation of the book. Atticus' voice was also really awesome.

Poonam I have finished this one and really really liked it!!

That's great!