Paging All Bookworms! discussion

Chit Chat > Question of the Day - June 2017

Comments Showing 1-50 of 60 (60 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 2235 comments Mod
Tuesday, June 1: What made you happy today?

message 2: by Paige (new)

Paige P (paigepradko) | 74 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Tuesday, June 1: What made you happy today?"

When my alarm went off this morning, my dog jumped on the bed and began to lick my face. You can't help but laugh when you wake up to this kind of joy.

message 3: by Leah (new)

Leah K (uberbutter) | 737 comments Mod
Book Concierge wrote: "Tuesday, June 1: What made you happy today?"

Hugs and kisses from my little boy.

message 4: by ilikeboox (new)

ilikeboox | 242 comments Leah wrote: "Book Concierge wrote: "Tuesday, June 1: What made you happy today?"

Hugs and kisses from my little boy."

You can't beat that Leah!

For me, since my little guy is much older, I am enjoying the breeze wafting through the sheers and the gorgeous greenery. But when I do see my son, I will definitely enjoy the hugs and kisses!

message 5: by Book Concierge (last edited Jun 04, 2017 07:38AM) (new)

Sunday, June 4 - Happy Birthday, Mom! ... What's the best gift you ever received or gave? (any occasion)

When I was a little girl I didn't much play with dolls, but one day I went with my Mother to pick up my little brother from day care, and saw this little doll-dresser that the nuns were refurbishing for a rummage sale fundraiser. I was completely fascinated by it ... with the rotating oval mirror, and the little drawers, and the little decoupaged flowers.

Imagine my surprise MONTHS later when my Mother gave me that little dresser for my birthday! I still have it in my bedroom.

message 6: by Leah (new)

June 5, Monday: What’s the most sensible thing you’ve ever heard someone say?

message 7: by ilikeboox (new)

ilikeboox | 242 comments Leah wrote: "June 5, Monday: What’s the most sensible thing you’ve ever heard someone say?"

Be kind.

message 8: by ilikeboox (new)

ilikeboox | 242 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Sunday, June 4 - Happy Birthday, Mom! ... What's the best gift you ever received or gave? (any occasion)

Well...I have of course received quite a few wonderful gifts through the years but what comes to mind is my husband gave me a fox figurine that I saw in a shop. He looked on one of my blogs and saw I had taken a photo of it and a link to the shop. I often do this so people can visit the websites of places I go. The morning of my birthday party my husband drove an hour away just to get it. I was so thrilled and VERY surprised.

Funny thing is, I was with friends that day before, at the shop and one of them was trying to get away from me so she could buy it for me! But I had finished browsing and I was too close by for her to pull it off. I was very touched nonetheless.

I'm very lucky to be surrounded by wonderful people. So of course the very best gifts are love and friendship.

message 9: by Leah (new)

June 6, Tuesday: Do you have any siblings? How many?

message 10: by ilikeboox (new)

ilikeboox | 242 comments I have a sister who is three years older.

message 11: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melissasd) | 773 comments Leah wrote: "June 6, Tuesday: Do you have any siblings? How many?"

I have a sister who is 3 years older, also.

message 12: by Book Concierge (new)

Leah wrote: "June 6, Tuesday: Do you have any siblings? How many?"

Two brothers ... one is 3 years younger; the other is 14 years younger.

message 13: by Leah (new)

June 8, Thursday: I spent all day at the zoo (America's only mountainside zoo!) yesterday. So tell me, what is your favorite local attraction (what many may call a tourist attraction) where you live?

message 14: by Book Concierge (new)

Leah wrote: "June 8, Thursday: I spent all day at the zoo (America's only mountainside zoo!) yesterday. So tell me, what is your favorite local attraction (what many may call a tourist attraction) where you live?"

I also love our zoo, but my favorite is probably the Milwaukee Public Museum.

message 15: by Book Concierge (new)

Saturday, June 10: I am now officially retired; my last day of work was yesterday. What do YOU look forward to in retirement?

message 16: by ilikeboox (new)

ilikeboox | 242 comments All my friends are retiring and I'm just starting out my business!

message 17: by Paige (new)

Paige P (paigepradko) | 74 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Saturday, June 10: I am now officially retired; my last day of work was yesterday. What do YOU look forward to in retirement?"

Congratulations! Just think how much reading you can do now! I think we have about 10 more years until retirement. But, if we are fortunate to have our health, we would love to just keep exploring, traveling and trying out new activities. We have a cottage on Lake Huron, so summer months I expect will be spent there. What are your hopes and dreams for retirement?

message 18: by Leah (new)

June 12, Monday: Many old shows are making a comeback. If any show could come back, what would you choose?

message 19: by Book Concierge (new)

Leah wrote: "June 12, Monday: Many old shows are making a comeback. If any show could come back, what would you choose?"

I Love Lucy .... but we'd have to have Lucille Ball again, too!

message 20: by ilikeboox (new)

ilikeboox | 242 comments Yes, I agree, the shows just wouldn't be the same with new people.

message 21: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 615 comments Leah wrote: "June 12, Monday: Many old shows are making a comeback. If any show could come back, what would you choose?"

ER, MASH

message 22: by Book Concierge (new)

Wednesday, June 14 = It's Flag Day in the USA. Do you fly yor country's flag at home?

message 23: by ilikeboox (new)

ilikeboox | 242 comments Yes!

message 24: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 615 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Wednesday, June 14 = It's Flag Day in the USA. Do you fly yor country's flag at home?"

Yes.

message 25: by Book Concierge (new)

Koren wrote: "Book Concierge wrote: "Wednesday, June 14 = It's Flag Day in the USA. Do you fly yor country's flag at home?"

Yes."

We used to fly the flag my husband brought home from his service in Vietnam. It's really too fragile to put it out. We do put out small flags for such occasions, but have never gotten around to replacing that large flag (for display ... we still have the original)

message 26: by Leah (new)

Book Concierge wrote: "Wednesday, June 14 = It's Flag Day in the USA. Do you fly yor country's flag at home?"

I live in an apartment complex, so it's not really possible but the complex flies the flag...if that counts...

message 27: by Leah (new)

Leah wrote: "June 12, Monday: Many old shows are making a comeback. If any show could come back, what would you choose?"

Cheers. But only if the originals came back, of course!

message 28: by Leah (new)

June 16, Friday: Do you have any exciting weekend plans?

message 29: by ilikeboox (new)

ilikeboox | 242 comments Oh yes! We are hosting a birthday dinner party with about a dozen people on Saturday night. Then on Sunday we host a philosophy discussion group and afterward we have a neighborhood picnic!

message 30: by Book Concierge (new)

June 18, Sunday: Celebrating Father's Day in the USA ... Tell us a memory about your father...

message 31: by Book Concierge (new)

ilikeboox wrote: "Oh yes! We are hosting a birthday dinner party with about a dozen people on Saturday night. Then on Sunday we host a philosophy discussion group and afterward we have a neighborhood picnic!"

Nope .... just hanging around the house. Might go to the garden center to buy some fertilizer for my flowering plants. (Be still my heart ... how can I bear this excitement!)

message 32: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 615 comments ilikeboox wrote: "Oh yes! We are hosting a birthday dinner party with about a dozen people on Saturday night. Then on Sunday we host a philosophy discussion group and afterward we have a neighborhood picnic!"

Yes. Our tiny little town is having their annual festival. There will be bingo, music, parade, good food, and the best part is seeing people you haven't seen for a while.

message 33: by ilikeboox (new)

ilikeboox | 242 comments Koren: Yes, the same at our picnic. Lots of people I haven't seen since the last neighborhood event. Very friendly people.

message 34: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge wrote: "June 18, Sunday: Celebrating Father's Day in the USA ... Tell us a memory about your father..."

My Daddy was always sharing tidbits of knowledge of the great outdoors ... from identifying trees, plants or birds, to how to build a campfire or improvise a shelter. I'm not sure I appreciated his "lessons" when I was a child, but I'm amazed at how much I remember his advice.

message 35: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 615 comments Book Concierge wrote: "June 18, Sunday: Celebrating Father's Day in the USA ... Tell us a memory about your father..."

My dad was a farmer so what I remember most was a hard working guy.

message 36: by Leah (new)

Book Concierge wrote: "June 18, Sunday: Celebrating Father's Day in the USA ... Tell us a memory about your father..."

My daddy used to ask what book I was reading and listen to me gush about books and authors even though he didn't like book himself. He knew it was my passion and he loved listening to his daughter. I sure do miss him.

message 37: by Leah (new)

June 20, Tuesday: Do meet with any book clubs? (not online, but in person)

message 38: by ilikeboox (new)

ilikeboox | 242 comments I used to be in them but I really prefer to pick what I read.

message 39: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 615 comments Leah wrote: "June 20, Tuesday: Do meet with any book clubs? (not online, but in person)"

No. Not any around that I know about and most people don't like to read what I like to read, anyway.

message 40: by Book Concierge (last edited Jun 23, 2017 07:15AM) (new)

Leah wrote: "June 20, Tuesday: Do meet with any book clubs? (not online, but in person)"

Yes ... six (6!) of them. Two meet monthly and have been together for 20 years! One meets every other month. I attend virtually all these meetings, unless I am out of town or very sick.

One is organized by and held at a local university - it's open to the public, with a capacity of 40 people per event; selections and discussion made by English dept faculty; fee includes wine, appetizers, 4-course meal w/ dessert and handouts. I go to 3 - 5 per year, depending on whether I find the book interesting (a friend chooses based on the menu!).

The other two clubs were originally part of a local independent bookseller, which closed it's doors, but the clubs continue to meet; I'm on their mailing list but attend only once or twice a year.

message 41: by Book Concierge (new)

Thursday, June 23: Do you have a favorite, "go-to," easy, breezy summer meal?

message 42: by Skeetor (new)

Skeetor | 159 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Leah wrote: "June 20, Tuesday: Do meet with any book clubs? (not online, but in person)"

Yes ... six (6!) of them. Two meet monthly and have been together for 20 years! One meets every other month.."

That is a LOT of book clubs....I wish our local university would have a book club like yours! Sounds fun!

I used to attend a local group but they broke up so now it's just the online groups.

message 43: by Warren (new)

Warren Benton | 75 comments Leah wrote: "June 20, Tuesday: Do meet with any book clubs? (not online, but in person)"

I would sure love to find a book club. I have eclectic reading preferences. Mostly nonfiction and I may have upwards of 6 books going at one time. I may not be cut out for book clubs.

message 44: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge wrote: "Thursday, June 23: Do you have a favorite, "go-to," easy, breezy summer meal?"

BLT sandwich ... with potato salad for a side. Not at all heart-healthy, but Oh, So, GOOOD!

message 45: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melissasd) | 773 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Thursday, June 23: Do you have a favorite, "go-to," easy, breezy summer meal?"

We grill a lot in the summer.

message 46: by Book Concierge (new)

Monday, June 26 - It's my best friend's birthday, today. What do you do to celebrate a friend's birthday?

message 47: by ilikeboox (new)

ilikeboox | 242 comments Host a party!

message 48: by Leah (new)

Book Concierge wrote: "Monday, June 26 - It's my best friend's birthday, today. What do you do to celebrate a friend's birthday?"

Today is my best friend's birthday! We used to get together and just have fun. We would show up at each other's works with cake and make a big deal of it. Now it's just a phone call and sent love due to distance and us being busy. Times change but our friendship hasn't :-)

message 49: by Leah (new)

June 28, Wednesday: If you listen to audiobooks, when and where do you prefer to listen to them?

message 50: by Book Concierge (new)

Leah wrote: "Book Concierge wrote: "Monday, June 26 - It's my best friend's birthday, today. What do you do to celebrate a friend's birthday?"

Times change but our friendship hasn't :-) ..."

So true, Leah!

« previous 1