The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

SUMMER CHALLENGE 2017 > Questions/Problems in Completed Tasks

Comments Showing 1-50 of 394 (394 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8

message 1: by SRC Moderator (new)

SRC Moderator | 4933 comments Mod
Questions or problems with completed task posts will be posted here.

If you have questions about your points on the Readerboard:

1. Make sure that the Readerboard has been updated through the post that you are concerned about.
2. Please check your math.
3. Check to see if one of your posts is listed in this thread with a question. If so, please make a NEW POST in the Completed tasks thread to clear up the question. DO NOT go back and edit the original post. I will not go backwards in the completed task thread to pick up points.
4. To avoid further questions/problems, please refer to the TASK DESCRIPTIONS and the POSTING REQUIREMENTS.

Thank you for helping keep the record keeping for the challenge as manageable as possible.

message 2: by Dlmrose (new)

Dlmrose | 17878 comments Mod
JennRenee post 5

Task 10.7 requires " Include the cover in your post."
Please repost this task with the required information.

message 3: by Dlmrose (new)

JamminJenny post 16

Task 10.7 requires " Include the cover in your post."

message 4: by Dlmrose (new)

Jukka post 28

You claimed Saga, Vol. 5 for both task 5.4 and task 10.7.
A book can be counted only once per challenge.
I have recorded it as task 5.4. Please let me know if you would like to move it.

message 5: by Dlmrose (new)

Creynard post 36

Task 15.4 requires "a word in the title, subtitle or author's name from this list of performers..."
Fair is not a word on the list of performers.

message 6: by Dlmrose (new)

Jukka post 64

Task 15.1 requires "Read a book that is identified in the Goodreads metadata as book #1 in a series. " Trees, Vol. 1: In Shadow is not identified as book #1- The series designation is Trees, Vol. 1: In Shadow (Trees) which is unnumbered.

message 7: by Jukka (new)

Jukka Särkijärvi (nitessine) | 505 comments Dlmrose wrote: "Jukka post 64

Task 15.1 requires "Read a book that is identified in the Goodreads metadata as book #1 in a series. " Trees, Vol. 1: In Shadow is not identified as book #1- The seri..."

It is designated #1 in the series that I linked, https://www.goodreads.com/series/2080... and there's "(Trees, #1)" in its title field. Plus it's called Trees, Vol. 1. I honestly do not know what I'm missing here.

message 8: by Dlmrose (new)

Jukka wrote: "Dlmrose wrote: "Jukka post 64

Task 15.1 requires "Read a book that is identified in the Goodreads metadata as book #1 in a series. " Trees, Vol. 1: In Shadow is not identified as b..."

We use the series designation that follows the title. It appears in gray scale parentheses. Trees, Vol. 1: In Shadow (Trees)
There is no series number within the parentheses.

message 9: by Jukka (new)

Jukka Särkijärvi (nitessine) | 505 comments Dlmrose wrote: "Jukka wrote: "Dlmrose wrote: "Jukka post 64

Task 15.1 requires "Read a book that is identified in the Goodreads metadata as book #1 in a series. " Trees, Vol. 1: In Shadow is not i..."

Hilariously, it's there when I open up the edit view, so it can't be added. It's already there, it just refuses to display.

message 10: by Bridgett (last edited Jun 05, 2017 08:45PM) (new)

Bridgett (brikie) | 6 comments Jukka, I think I see the problem. If you scroll down the edit screen, under series, I only see 1. "Trees" and 2. "Trees (TPBs)"

For comparison, look at the edit screen for Saga, Vol. 1. In the series designation, it says "Saga #1".

I'm not a very experienced librarian so I don't feel comfortable changing anything without further research, and unfortunately, I'm heading to bed. I hope this helps you sort it tho.

message 11: by Jukka (new)

Jukka Särkijärvi (nitessine) | 505 comments Crawled deep enough into the rabbit hole, found the problem, and fixed it. Reposted.

message 12: by Dlmrose (new)

Cindie post 99

Task 10.6 I don't see Prince Charles on Time 100 2008 If I am missing it, or if he appears on another list please point it out.

message 13: by Dlmrose (new)

Siobahn post 115

Task 25.3, just FYI no need to repost.
Please make sure to use the method to determine page numbers when using ebooks and audiobook.
The Thief Taker 432
Cronin's Key 190 = 622

message 14: by Dlmrose (new)

Brooklyn post 121

Task 30.13 Option B Book 1 requires "a cake /cake slice" on the cover. Homemade Sin by Kathy Hogan Trocheck appears to be a pie- a fruit filling in a crust, and does not work as a cake.

message 15: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 963 comments Dlmrose wrote: "Brooklyn post 121 task 30.13 Option B Book 1 requires "a cake /cake slice" on the cover. Homemade Sin by Kathy Hogan Trocheck appears to be a pie- a fruit filling in a crust, and does not work as a c..."

I thought that was an apple cake. I have made a cake that looks similar myself. But if you deem it to be a pie, I can find something else.

message 16: by Siobhan (new)

Siobhan Johnson | 291 comments Dlmrose wrote: "Siobahn post 115

Task 25.3, just FYI no need to repost.
Please make sure to use the method to determine page numbers when using ebooks and audiobook.
The Thief Taker 432
[book:Cro..."

Sorry to check, and sorry about the mix up, but just to make sure for the future - What method should I use to determine length? Should I take the page numbers from the Mass Market Paperback, or just the paperback if there is none, and use that to establish the numbers?

I swear I've read the rules multiple times, but better to be safe than sorry.

message 17: by Dlmrose (new)

Siobhan wrote: ."What method should I use to determine length? Should I take the page numbers from the Mass Market Paperback, or just the paperback if there is none, and use that to establish the numbers?

Use this method-
>If there are multiple editions in a format:
From the editions page (click all editions on the main book page)
Set the Format, beginning with Mass Market Paperback
Set the Sort By as "num ratings"
Use the top edition result to determine the page number for ebooks and audiobooks
If there are no editions in MMPB, reset with Paperback and the same sort (num ratings). If there are no paperback editions, reset with Hardcover and the same sort (num ratings). If there are no print editions the ebook or audiobook may not be used for a task requiring a page number

> If the sort results in a Large Type edition at the top omit that book and move to the next record or format.

> If the sort results in an edition in a language other than English the edition SHOULD be used to establish length.

message 18: by Dlmrose (new)

SSKrout post 143

Task 5.5 requires "Read a book with the number of pages as listed on Goodreads that includes the number 6, 7 or 8."
*NOTE: ebooks without a print edition cannot be used for tasks requiring a specific number of pages. If you read an ebook, listen to an audiobook or read a Large Print edition use the page count for the mass market paperback if one exists. If there is no mass market paperback edition, use the paperback edition and if no paperback is available use the hardcover edition. See the rules for the complete method.
The Enchanter King: Book Two of The Kalymbrian Chronicles has only a kindle edition.

message 19: by Dlmrose (new)

Helen B post 145/146

It's fine to include more than one newly completed task in a post. If you do include more than one task, the tasks must be listed in numerical order, lowest to highest. Please repost these tasks in task number order

message 20: by Dlmrose (new)

Jasmiina F post 150

Task 15.3 Bone, Vol. 9: Crown of Horns
The genre childrens is present on the main page.
genres at review:
Sequential Art > Graphic Novels 345 users
Sequential Art > Comics 227 users
Fantasy 182 users
Fiction 47 users
Adventure 40 users
Young Adult 30 users
Graphic Novels Comics 22 users
Childrens 21 users
Humor 19 users
Comics > Comic Book 14 users

Please review the rules for books with the main page genre childrens or kids. Books Formats #4.

The scores for this book are IL: MG - BL: 2.4 - AR Pts: 1.0
and will not work for SRC tasks.

message 21: by Dlmrose (new)

SarahBR post 170

Task 5.4 requires a book that fits one of the Spring 2017 5, 10 or 15 point tasks. You stated it fits task 10.6 - Penguin Places. The task requires " a book set at least 50% in a country/territory from this list that is a home to penguins: Angola, Antarctica, Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Chile, Ecuador, Falkland Islands, Mozambique, Namibia, New Zealand, Peru, South Africa, South Georgia Island, South Sandwich Islands, Tristan da Cunha, Uruguay"

Uganda Be Kidding Me "Being it is set at least 50% in Uganda".
Uganda is not on the task list.

message 22: by Christi (new)

Christi Reynard | 370 comments Dlmrose wrote: "Creynard post 36

Task 15.4 requires "a word in the title, subtitle or author's name from this list of performers..."
Fair is not a word on the list of performers."

Totally wrote down "fair" instead of "festival" when I was investigating books...then glossed over it when rechecking! Ugh - I wanted to not make any mistakes this season!

message 23: by Dlmrose (new)

Melanie post 185

There are several players named Melanie.
Please repost including your Readerboard name.

message 24: by Diana S (new)

Diana S | 40 comments I noticed I didn't get credit for a Big Book Ticket. My post is #103

message 25: by Dlmrose (new)

Diana S wrote: "I noticed I didn't get credit for a Big Book Ticket. My post is #103"

I cannot tell from your post that you claiming a ticket- it looks like a tally.

If you are claiming a big book (or golden oldies ticket), you must explicitly say so in your post - a tally at the bottom is not enough.

For Big Books: You must specifically state in your completed task post that a book is a Big Book, state how many pages it has, and link to the exact edition you read.

You must repost and include the required information to claim a ticket.

message 26: by Dlmrose (new)

frugalitymom post 219

Task 30.10 book 2 requires "a book whose title (subtitles are excluded) contains ALL the letters in the word PARTY"

From FAQ
O. What's the difference between titles, subtitles, and series titles?
The title is the name of the book. The subtitle follows the title after a colon. A series title appears in parenthesis after the title and/or subtitle, sometimes with a number to indicate the book's position in the series order.

Flight of the Sparrow: A Novel of Early America, the title is Flight of the Sparrow and does not contain a Y.

message 27: by Dlmrose (new)

Jammin Jenny post 225

Task 25.5 option 1 requires " a book with Food or Food and Drink as a main page genre. " Bread has no genres listed on the main book page.

message 28: by Dlmrose (new)

perletwo post 226

Task 30.4 requires "Your books must have a combined page total of at least 500 pages."

You claimed The Judas Goat the kindle edition, MMPB The Judas Goat 207 pages
I See Rude People: One Woman's Battle to Beat Some Manners into Impolite Society, the kindle edition,
PB I See Rude People: One woman's battle to beat some manners into impolite society 224 pages
207 + 224 = 431 pages

message 29: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (watermelanie) | 124 comments Dlmrose wrote: "Melanie post 185

There are several players named Melanie.
Please repost including your Readerboard name."

Drat! I knew there was something I was missing. It's been reposted!

message 30: by Dlmrose (new)

ElaineL post 243

Task 20.4 option 1 requires " a book by an author whose name (in any position) is Wallace or Kellogg; i.e. Wallace Stegner, Irving Wallace, Laurie Kellogg. Exact match only; no spelling variations."
Jane Wallace-Knight does not match exactly. Hyphenated names are treated as one name.

message 31: by Dlmrose (last edited Jun 11, 2017 05:12AM) (new)

frugalitymom post 258

Task 30.7 option 2 requires "a book from this Goodreads list on WWII fiction."

Yours is the only vote on the list

His Majesty's Hope (Maggie Hope Mystery, #3)
by Susan Elia MacNeal (Goodreads Author)
3.96 avg rating —5,828 ratings
Vote For This Book score: 100, and 1 person voted
frugalitymom 3599 books
73 friends Ranked it 1 out of 1

From the rules
For tasks that require reading a book from a Goodreads listopia list or shelf, the book must appear on the list or shelf when you access it and the player may not add books to the list to be used for that task.

message 32: by Diana S (last edited Jun 11, 2017 09:07AM) (new)

Diana S | 40 comments Dlmrose wrote: "Diana S wrote: "I noticed I didn't get credit for a Big Book Ticket. My post is #103"

I cannot tell from your post that you claiming a ticket- it looks like a tally.

If you are claiming a big boo..."

Oh, OK - Thank you for the explanation, will do :)

message 33: by Dlmrose (last edited Jun 11, 2017 09:56AM) (new)

Mazza1 post 263, 266

Please check your total. 15.1 adds 15 points.
No need to repost- just to keep our totals in synch.

message 34: by Dlmrose (new)

Didi3023 post 279

Task 10.7 requires "Include the cover in your post." Please repost this task with the required information.

message 35: by Marie (UK) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 2578 comments Dlmrose wrote: "Mazza1 post 263, 266

Please check your total. 15.1 adds 15 points.
No need to repost- just to keep our totals in synch."

thanks i think i have corrected that on my next post 292

message 36: by Dlmrose (new)

ElaineL post 296

Please check your total. 210 +20 = 230
No need to repost- just to keep our totals in synch.

message 37: by Elaine (new)

Elaine Dlmrose wrote: "ElaineL post 296

Please check your total. 210 +20 = 230
No need to repost- just to keep our totals in synch."

Thanks! I'll fix it in my next post!!!

message 38: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (perletwo) | 1627 comments Dlmrose wrote: "perletwo post 226

Task 30.4 requires "Your books must have a combined page total of at least 500 pages."

You claimed The Judas Goat the kindle edition, MMPB [book:The Judas Goat|83..."

Arrgh. But! If my calculator's math is right, I've got just the thing to replace I See Rude People. Will repost as soon as it's read.

message 39: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (perletwo) | 1627 comments Dlmrose wrote: "perletwo post 226

You claimed The Judas Goat the kindle edition, MMPB [book:The Judas Goat|83..."

Reposted.

message 40: by Dlmrose (last edited Jun 12, 2017 04:22AM) (new)

perletwo post 323

Task 30.4 book 2 requires " a book with at least one word in the title/subtitle that begins with each of the initials of the author of book 1. All initials in the book 1 author's name must be used."
If using Robert B. Parker all the initials RBP must be used and a word beginning with each of those must appear in the title/subtitle of book 2.
Bearly Departed has words that begin BD.

message 41: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (perletwo) | 1627 comments arrggh again! Will move Bearly Departed to 5.10 and find another substitute.

message 42: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (perletwo) | 1627 comments Dlmrose wrote: "perletwo post 323

Task 30.4 book 2 requires " a book with at least one word in the title/subtitle that begins with each of the initials of the author of book 1. All initials in the book 1 author's..."

Reposted again. This time with better reading comprehension, i hope. :(

message 43: by Dlmrose (new)

Jammin Jenny post 335

Task 20.9 option B requires "ALL the letters of RETIREMENT can be found in the title, subtitle and/or author’s name. You need THREE E’s, TWO R’s, TWO T’s, and ONE each of I, M and N. "

Just Good Friends Rosalind James contains only 2 E's and 1 T. Series titles are not included.

The title is the name of the book. The subtitle follows the title after a colon. A series title appears in parenthesis after the title and/or subtitle, sometimes with a number to indicate the book's position in the series order.

message 44: by Jammin Jenny (new)

Jammin Jenny (jamminjenny) | 718 comments Dlmrose wrote: "Jammin Jenny post 335

Task 20.9 option B requires "ALL the letters of RETIREMENT can be found in the title, subtitle and/or author’s name. You need THREE E’s, TWO R’s, TWO T’s, and ONE each of I, ..."

Thanks Dimrose. I thought that was the subtitle - my mistake.

message 45: by Dlmrose (last edited Jun 12, 2017 05:40PM) (new)

Katja post 343

Task 25.3. Please repost and confirm
Required: Include in your post that the author is New-To-You.
Required: Include in your post that the series is New-To-You.

You included the task instructions but did not state the required information in your post.

message 46: by Dlmrose (new)

Alycia post 353

Task 25.10 option A requires "Indicate when you post that you haven’t read the book before and that the author was previously unfamiliar to you."

message 47: by Dlmrose (new)

Jammin Jenny post 356

Task 10.10 requires "Include in your post a link to another book you've previously read by that author "

message 48: by Bryony (new)

Bryony (bryony46) | 362 comments I requested one big book ticket in message 59 but it's not showing up in the readerboard thread. I can't see any message in this thread about it, would you mind checking if I didn't post correctly or if it's been missed, please?

message 49: by Dlmrose (new)

Bryony wrote: "I requested one big book ticket in message 59 but it's not showing up in the readerboard thread. I can't see any message in this thread about it, would you mind checking if I didn't post correctly ..."

Oops, I made a cut/paste error and the top records didn't transfer. It should be corrected now.

message 50: by Dlmrose (new)

Becky P post 375

Task 25.6 The Wonderful Wizard of Oz The genre childrens is present on the main page.
genres at review:
Classics 5,903 users
Fiction 2,166 users
Childrens 1,735 users
Young Adult 696 users
Adventure 478 users
Audiobook 303 users
Fantasy > Magic 233 users
Literature 211 users
Childrens > Middle Grade 191 users
Childrens > Juvenile 183 users

Please review the rules for books with the main page genre childrens or kids. Books Formats #4.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8