Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

The Long Drop
This topic is about The Long Drop
Group Read - The Long Drop > Group Read - The Long Drop final comments Spoilers Welcome

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ann (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14306 comments Now that you've read the book, did you enjoy it? Our final comments on the entire book go here. Spoilers Welcome on this thread. Have you read other Denise Mina books? (No spoilers for other books please)

message 2: by Ann (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14306 comments As this book was a fictionalized true crime story I found the perspective about the real versus fictional details from this review quite interesting.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theg...

message 3: by Ann (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14306 comments I am not usually a true crime reader ( somehow much creepier than fiction) the atmosphere was most interesting, the courtroom details were fascinating and I am glad I read it.

Sandi (sandin954) | 1189 comments Ann wrote: "As this book was a fictionalized true crime story I found the perspective about the real versus fictional details from this review quite interesting.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theg......"

Thanks for the link to the Guardian article, Ann. I thought article brought up a good point about how the book ended up treating Watt and it was interesting that the novel was reworked from a play.

Jack | 179 comments Good article Ann. Helps explain what mina tried to achieve with the book. I struggled with this during the reading constantly trying to see where it was headed.

Like the article said a more creative delving into manuels psychy would have been of great interest.

Overall I thought it a strange set of events but an interesting look at tha time in Glasgow.

message 6: by Ann (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14306 comments Jack; Yes, it helped me too. After reading the article it does explain for me what I first considered a big gap: the lack of establishing any connection to any of the characters. The setting and court details grabbed me in, but with no character connections I felt adrift. This could partly stem from not reading true crime often, and I didn't actually know/remember that is was based on a true crime while reading. Even if I knew details from a description when selecting a book I always steer away from details right before I read. ;)
Jack wrote: "Good article Ann. Helps explain what mina tried to achieve with the book. I struggled with this during the reading constantly trying to see where it was headed.
"