READ 100+ BOOKS IN 2017 discussion

June's challenge

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sheila (new)

Sheila | 79 comments Mod
Wow! Summer is almost officially here. Time is flying. I see some good books have been read already. Are you ready for your summer reading?
Well, on to June's books.

1. Read a book whose title begins with A.
2. Read a book set in the summer.
3. Father's Day will be celebrated so read a book where a father is the main character.
4. Since June 4 is National Cognac Day, June 10 is National Iced Tea Day as well as National Rose Wine Day, June 14 is National Bourbon Day, June 17 is National Stewart's Root Beer Day, June 19 is National Martini Day, and June 20 is National Ice Cream Soda Day and National Vanilla Milkshake Day, read a book about a beverage of your choice.
5. June 12 is National Children's Day so read a book recommended by a person under 18 years old.
6. Read a book written by a person of a different culture than you.
7. Read a best seller from 2016.
8. Read a book set 100 miles or less from your home.
9. Your choice.

message 2: by Book Concierge (last edited Jun 28, 2017 10:48AM) (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) June Challenge
Begins: 01June17 / Ends: 30June17

5 tasks completed

1. Title begins with A - Agony and the Ecstasy ✔ – 21June17
3. Father's Day A father is the main character- The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry ✔ – 04June17
4. Since June 4 is National Cognac Day, June 10 is National Iced Tea Day as well as National Rose Wine Day, June 14 is National Bourbon Day, June 17 is National Stewart's Root Beer Day, June 19 is National Martini Day, and June 20 is National Ice Cream Soda Day and National Vanilla Milkshake Day, read a book about a beverage of your choice.
5. June 12 is National Children's Day - recommended by a person under 18 years old - my 15-year-old niece recommended The Perks of Being a Wallflower ✔ – 08June17
6. Author of a different culture - Jhumpa Lahiri / The Lowland ✔ - 27June17
9. Your choice - Farewell, My Lovely ✔ – 01June17

message 3: by Tia (new)

Tia (tia_bookbandit) Asking just out of curiosity but in which country all these "national" days are celebrated???
Caz they are intresting!!!!

message 4: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) Farewell, My Lovely (Philip Marlowe, #2) by Raymond Chandler
Farwell My Lovely – Raymond Chandler – 3***
I came late to Chandler’s series about P.I. Philip Marlowe, but I sure am enjoying them now! The action is non-stop, and the characters so vivid they virtually jump off the page. I’ll definitely keep reading the series.
LINK to my review

message 5: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin
The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry – Gabrielle Zavin – 3***
One snowy December evening A.J. Fikry finds that someone has left a baby between the shelves in his bookstore. This is a fable about second chances and the redemptive power of love. It’s a somewhat quiet story, as novels go, but it is full of the drama of every day existence. I also loved all the literary references.
LINK to my review

message 6: by Sheila (new)

Sheila | 79 comments Mod
Book Concierge wrote: "The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin

The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry
– Gabrielle Zavin – 3***
One snowy December evening A.J. Fikry finds that someone has left a baby between the..."

I loved this book. It was the book that got me into books about books and booksellers.

message 7: by Sheila (new)

Sheila | 79 comments Mod
Book Concierge wrote: "Farewell, My Lovely (Philip Marlowe, #2) by Raymond Chandler

Farwell My Lovely
– Raymond Chandler – 3***
I came late to Chandler’s series about P.I. Philip Marlowe, but I sure am enjoying them now! The action is non..."

I've seen the movie with Robert Mitchum but I haven't read the book yet. I'll need to check Chandler's books out.

message 8: by Sheila (new)

Sheila | 79 comments Mod
Literary wrote: "Asking just out of curiosity but in which country all these "national" days are celebrated???
Caz they are intresting!!!!"

I found them on a list of national days. I'm thinking some areas of the US may celebrate them but who knows. I do know every so often there is a day that pops up on the news or Facebook that says this is National Whatever Day! I found it interesting that so many days in June were for beverages. I signed up for their monthly newsletter to see what days I may be missing out on celebrating.

message 9: by Sheila (last edited Jun 30, 2017 03:41PM) (new)

Sheila | 79 comments Mod
Well, now, hopefully, the month will settle down and I'll be able to read more. I was mom-sitting then went to Lori Foster's Reader Author Getaway Weekend. So here are my reads:

5/9, 12 books

2. Read a book set in the summer--.
3. Father's Day will be celebrated so read a book where a father is the main character.
4. Since June 4 is National Cognac Day, June 10 is National Iced Tea Day as well as National Rose Wine Day, June 14 is National Bourbon Day, June 17 is National Stewart's Root Beer Day, June 19 is National Martini Day, and June 20 is National Ice Cream Soda Day and National Vanilla Milkshake Day, read a book about a beverage of your choice--Tangled Up in Brew by Joyce Tremel--finished 6/18/17 Tangled Up in Brew (Brewing Trouble, #2) by Joyce Tremel
5. June 12 is National Children's Day so read a book recommended by a person under 18 years old--Warriors: The Darkest Hour by Erin Hunter--finished 6/13/17. The Darkest Hour (Warriors, #6) by Erin Hunter
7. Read a best seller from 2016--Another Brooklyn by Jacqueline Woodson--finished 6/20/17 Another Brooklyn by Jacqueline Woodson
8. Read a book set 100 miles or less from your home--The Johnstown Flood by David McCullough--finished 6/7/17. The Johnstown Flood by David McCullough
9. Your choice--On Point by Annabeth Albert--finished 6/12/17. On Point (Out of Uniform #3) by Annabeth Albert

BONUS BOOKS:

Strip--Erika Reed--finished 6/11/17 Strip (At Your Service Book 1) by Erika Reed
Kimberly and the Rancher--Lexi Sexton--finished 6/18/17 KIMBERLY AND THE RANCHER The Erotic Series by Lexi Sexton
Inhibition --Jessica Clairmont--finished 6/19/17 Inhibition by Jessica Clairmont
A Christmas Wedding--Jennifer Lewis--finished 6/19/17 A Christmas Wedding (Desert Kings, #2.5) by Jennifer Lewis
Love and Oreos--Elizabeth Bemis--finished 6/22/17 Love & Oreos (Sudden Falls #1) by Elizabeth Bemis
Dear Jane--Marissa Clarke--finished 6/24/17 Dear Jane (Animal Attraction, #1) by Marissa Clarke
A Shot with You--Teri Anne Stanley--finished 6/28/17 A Shot with You (Bourbon Brothers #2) by Teri Anne Stanley

message 10: by Chuck (last edited Jun 22, 2017 04:18AM) (new)

Chuck | 34 comments Just back from a 3-week Baltic Sea vacation, but I'm glad to be home!
5. June 12 is National Children's Day so read a book recommended by a person under 18 years old.
"The Outsiders"by S.E. Hinton
"That Was Then, This is Now" by S.E. Hinton
"Everything I Never Told You" by Celeste Ng
7. Read a best seller from 2016.
"Lost Light" by Michael Connelly (Harry Bosch #9)
9. Your choice.
"The Cellar" by Natasha Preston
"The Life We Bury" by Allen Eskins
"The Stranger in the Woods" by Michael Finkel

message 11: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky
The Perks Of Being a Wallflower – Stephen Chbosky – 4****
This is a coming-of-age novel featuring 15-year-old Charlie, who tells the story via letters he writes to an unnamed friend. I like YA fiction like this. Charlie is very real. He is a great observer of teenage and family life. As he describes events and how he reacts to them, he gives the reader a pretty accurate view of high-school dynamics. This is Chbosky’s debut novel. I hope he writes another novel; I would definitely read it.
LINK to my review

message 12: by Sheila (new)

Sheila | 79 comments Mod
Chuck wrote: "Just back from a 3-week Baltic Sea vacation, but I'm glad to be home!
3. Father's Day will be celebrated so read a book w..."

Hope you had a good time though. I loved The Outsiders. It was so good.

message 13: by Rachel (last edited Jul 23, 2017 03:14PM) (new)

Rachel These High, Green Hills - the Third Novel in the Bestselling Mitford Series by Jan Karon -Jan Karon 6-1-17
This is chronologically the fourth book of a laid back series about an Episcopalian priest in a small town in North Carolina. It is often funny and sweet with the occasional sad vignette mixed into the plot. I'm enjoying rereading this series.

Out to Canaan (Mitford Years, #4) by Jan Karon -Jan Karon 6-6-17
This is chronologically the fifth book of a laid back series about an Episcopalian priest in a small town in North Carolina. It is often funny and sweet with the occasional sad vignette mixed into the plot. I'm enjoying rereading this series.

A New Song (Mitford Years, #5) by Jan Karon -Jan Karon 6-18-17
This is chronologically the sixth book of a laid back series about an Episcopalian priest in a small town in North Carolina. It is often funny and sweet with the occasional sad vignette mixed into the plot. I'm enjoying rereading this series.

In This Mountain by Jan Karon -Jan Karon 6-23-17
At this point in the series, the chronological order and the publishing order of the books are the same again until after book 9. This is the seventh book of a laid back series about an Episcopalian priest in a small town in North Carolina. It is often funny and sweet with the occasional sad vignette mixed into the plot. I'm enjoying rereading this series.

Shepherds Abiding (Mitford Years, #8) by Jan Karon -Jan Karon 6-25-17
This is the eighth book of a laid back series about an Episcopalian priest in a small town in North Carolina. It is often funny and sweet with the occasional sad vignette mixed into the plot. I'm enjoying rereading this series.