I Read Comic Books discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Challenges > 2017 Recommended Reading Challenge - Recommendations

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kate (last edited May 31, 2017 05:36PM) (new)

Kate (kgskocelas) | 570 comments Mod
2017 Recommended Reading Challenge

IRCB is putting together a recommended reading challenge! If you would like to add a trade or graphic novel (OGN) to the official list, please comment below with the title and why you recommend it.

Rules:
You may only recommend one title. Recommended titles must be a trade or OGN and available in English (original or translated).

Unlike Book of the Month nominations, your recommendation may be any volume in a series. Please keep in mind, however, that the people you’re recommending it to may not have read the preceding volumes. Therefore, please try to pick a good jumping on point.

If your favorite book in a series isn’t a good jumping on point for new readers but you’d still like to use it, please nominate the trade where people should start reading, then include in your explanation which trade is actually your favorite.

The Challenge:
On June 16th, all titles recommended on this thread, as well as a recommendation from each IRCB podcaster, will be put together to form the 2017 Recommended Reading Challenge. A master list, tracking widget, progress thread, and discussion thread will be posted to this folder.

Taking part in the challenge will be a great way to discover new trades and OGNs. Those who finish the challenge by December 31st, 2017 will get a personal shout-out on the podcast!

So, what comics do you recommend, IRCBers?!

message 2: by Aelin (last edited Jun 01, 2017 05:23AM) (new)

Aelin (giraffe_attack) Rat Queens, Vol. 1: Sass & Sorcery by by Kurtis J. Wiebe & Roc Upchurch (Artist)

Was a Hugo Award Nominee for Best Graphic Story (2015), the Will Eisner Comic Industry Awards Nominee for Best New Series (2014), and the Goodreads Choice Award Nominee for Graphic Novels & Comics (2014)

It's based in medieval fantasy world starring four women: "They're a pack of booze-guzzling, death-dealing battle maidens-for-hire and they're in the business of killing all the god's creatures for profit. Meet Hannah the Rockabilly Elven Mage, Violet the Hipster Dwarven Fighter, Dee the Atheist Human Cleric and Betty the Hippy Smidgen Thief." They're party loving adventurers with a modern sense of humor. It's been described as Bridesmaids meets Lord of the Rings. It's essentially like if you took a D&D campaign of a bunch of hilarious nerds and illustrated the story. I've been addicted since it released and the series isn't incredibly long if you fall in love.

message 3: by Kate (last edited May 31, 2017 06:11PM) (new)

The Vision, Volume 1: Little Worse Than A Man by Tom King and Gabriel Hernandez Walta

Nominated this year for a Hugo Award for Best Graphic Story and an Eisner Award for Best Limited Series, The Vision is a dark suburban suspense tale about what it means to be human. Tightly woven and beautifully illustrated, the story is executed with such perfection that it has been referred to as "Marvel's Watchmen." I recommend reading The Vision to see what superhero comics can be.

message 4: by Kate (new)

Rebecca wrote: "Oh shit. Only one title. I choose Rat Queens. I'll edit it when I get to my laptop"

Haha yep no worries!

message 5: by Daniel (new)

Daniel | 265 comments The Vision, Volume 2: Little Better than a Beast
by Tom King and Gabriel Hernandez Walta

My Recommendation will compliment Kate's mainly because i want to read that whole run and this way our group gets to read a complete story

message 6: by Mike, Host & Producer of IRCB! (last edited Jun 01, 2017 09:34AM) (new)

Mike Rapin (mikerapin) | 601 comments Mod
Gotta go with Fante Bukowski by Noah Van Sciver.

message 7: by Kate (new)

Daniel wrote: "The Vision, Volume 2: Little Better than a Beast

My Recommendation will compliment Kate's mainly because i want to read that whole run and t..."

Nice! Yeah, as a 12-issue limited series this is best read together. I wish they'd come out with an omnibus edition already!!!

message 8: by Daniel (new)

Daniel | 265 comments Kate wrote: "Daniel wrote: "The Vision, Volume 2: Little Better than a Beast

My Recommendation will compliment Kate's mainly because i want to read that ..."

I just picked up both volumes for $4.40 on Amazon Kindle which works with my comixology account :D

message 9: by Phil (new)

Phil | 169 comments X-O Manowar, Volume 1: By The Sword by Robert Venditti and Cary Nord.

This series kicked off the 2012 Valiant relaunch to critical acclaim. X-O is a fun book featuring a 5th century Visigoth warrior that is abducted by aliens, steals a suit of sacred armor, and becomes a superhero in the present day.

message 10: by Kate (new)

Jamie wrote: "Great concept guys, the use of a widget alone has me exited.
I'm going to add Alex + Ada, Vol. 1, this charming book doesn't get enough recognition and is only 3 volumes long if it ..."

Oooo great recommendation! I absolutely agree.

message 11: by Kate (new)

Phillip wrote: "...featuring a 5th century Visigoth warrior that is abducted by aliens, steals a suit of sacred armor, and becomes a superhero in the present day..."

Your description makes it sound awesome!

message 12: by Kate (new)

Daniel wrote: "I just picked up both volumes for $4.40 on Amazon Kindle which works with my comixology account :D "

Holy cow that is a fantastic deal!!!

message 13: by KaitLphere (new)

KaitLphere | 181 comments Mod
This is an awesome idea!

I recommend I Kill Giants as my one-title limit. It's heart-breaking but wonderfully written. To me, it belongs in the "magical realism" category that blends real life with something fantastical in such a way that you wonder if it really exists in that world or if a character is just day-dreaming.

If someone else recommends this, my backup recommendation is Rainbow in the Dark. It's from a Grand Rapids indie group and might be hard to find. I just love the use of color and the coming-of-age story blended with the evolution of a society.

message 14: by Kate (new)

Kait wrote: "I recommend I Kill Giants as my one-title limit. It's heart-breaking but wonderfully written. To me, it belongs in the "magical realism" category that blends real life wit..."

I LOVE I Kill Giants!!! I spent forever trying to decide whether I wanted to pick it or The Vision, Volume 1: Little Worse Than A Man, so I'm so glad you picked it!

message 15: by Paul (new)

Paul (ohhipaulie) | 38 comments My recommendation is The End of the Fucking World by Charles Forsman. This is a darkly comic "coming of age" story about 2 runaway teenagers, whose quest for freedom and adventure becomes something much more sinister. Originally self-published in 2013, TEOTFW was recently reprinted by Fantagraphics, and is being adapted as a live action movie for Netflix.
It's a short read, perfect for an afternoon hammock session, but its emotional impact will linger for a while.

message 16: by Phil (new)

Phil | 169 comments Kait wrote: "This is an awesome idea!

I recommend I Kill Giants as my one-title limit. It's heart-breaking but wonderfully written. To me, it belongs in the "magical realism" category that blends real life wit..."

I considered nominating this book, but I figured someone else would get to it. Glad you picked it!

message 17: by René (new)

René Rodriguez | 6 comments Forever will I recommend Bedlam by Nick Spencer with art by Ryan Browne.

This story is dark, intriguing, and horrifying in all the best ways. It is one of my favorite books and one I wish that would start publishing again. It's a mystery book with a bit of super hero/villain flair but it's intruiging as can be.

message 18: by Hanson (new)

Hanson The Joker by Brian Azzarello
This is an essential for fans of the Clown Prince of Crime. Brian Azzarello crafts a dark and visceral tale, centering around Johnny Frost, a gun for hire that finds himself in the direct employment of the Joker. Told through Johnny's eyes, it reveals aspects of the Joker's life that had not been seen by comics fans before. Lee Bermejo provides amazing art, weaving back and forth from a signature painterly style to a more traditional comic art.
Even for those who have read this nearly decade old graphic novel, it is still a gripping re-read that will take you through Gotham's seedy underbelly like no other comic before.

message 19: by James (new)

James Hahn | 38 comments I'm going to recommend Space Riders V1 by Fabian Rangel Jr.

This book is absolutely crazytown bananapants, in all the best ways. The art is very throwback to a psychadelic 70s style that I've seen on album covers, I would even say Kirby-esque (correct me if I'm wrong Paul). It follows the voyage of the Skullship Santa Muerte and its crew, doling out justice across the galaxy. Also comes from Black Mask, a smaller publisher that needs more attention.

message 20: by Wayland (new)

Wayland Smith | 263 comments Being as, well, I'm old (compared to a lot of you anyway) I'm going to go old school .

Suicide Squad, Volume 1: Trial By Fire

and

The New Teen Titans, Vol. 1

message 21: by Kate (last edited Jun 15, 2017 12:25PM) (new)

Wayland wrote: "Being as, well, I'm old (compared to a lot of you anyway) I'm going to go old school .

Suicide Squad, Volume 1: Trial By Fire

and

The New Teen Titans, Vol. 1"

Oh good picks! Definitely both books worth checking out both, but only one recommendation per person is being added to the official challenge list. Which of these would you like to add?

message 22: by Kate (new)

René wrote: "Forever will I recommend Bedlam by Nick Spencer with art by Ryan Browne.

This story is dark, intriguing, and horrifying in all the best ways. It is one of my favorite books and one I wish that wo..."

Bless you René - I LOVE this series!

This was also the first comic series that I went to my shop looking for a volume of that didn't exist, leaving shocked and horrified that there wasn't more to pick up. "What do you MEAN there isn't a volume 3?!!!"

message 23: by Ross (new)

Ross Can't remember if I already commented but the royals by vertigo...just amazing

message 24: by Wayland (new)

Wayland Smith | 263 comments Kate, go with New Teen Titans, so people can see what the group used to be instead of the remarkably silly 'toon they've been reduced to.

message 25: by Nick (new)

Nick | 39 comments I'm gonna have to go with Savage published by Valiant, written by B. Clay Moore, with art by Lewis Larosa and Clayton Henry.

Why? Well, for starters, Savage is about as insular/stand-alone as a Valiant title can get. People worried about the overarching Valiantverse need not be concerned; this book possesses none of the characters, locales, or plot elements associated with such.

It surrounds the private jet of a soccer star crashing, leaving Kevin Sauvage, his wife, and his newborn child stranded on a strange island. The problem is, they're not alone. To elaborate on just what that entails would be to say too much.

What I really like about the book is that narrative is split into two segments: one that surrounds the family's initial arrival on the island, and one that follows the once baby, now teenager/young adult. The latter narrative is largely non-verbal, and forces the reader to use deduction and context clues to piece together just what has taken place between the two tales.

The book also utilizes different artists for the two narratives: Clayton Henry for the past/island arrival, and Lewis Larosa for the present day. It's also really nice to see how the panel structure/layouts for each of these arcs is tailored to the narrative style, as well as the artist tasked to it. It's not often you get to see a dual-artist approach that is fostered out of a creative goal, and NOT (as is frequently the case) out of a need to meet deadlines.

It's a gorgeously crafted tale of fatherhood and family, one that also manages to not skimp out on the action and the fantastical. If anything else, read it for Larosa's art...there's really nothing else like it, and the alternative for getting your hands on his work would be Bloodshot Reborn vol 3 (which is the EPITOME of "not approachable").

message 26: by Kate (new)

Recommendations for the 2017 list closed on June 16th.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.