What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

The Year's Best Science Fiction & Fantasy, 2013
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Steampunk story about a robot adopting human children. [s]

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sir He-Man (new) - added it

Sir He-Man (rocketeer) | 9 comments I've been going through anthology lists and this is driving me crazy. I know it's from this decade. It's a short story that just stands out in my head because of the worldbuilding. A vast desert with no water, so water has to be imported. The AI's in question are all big clunkers, and the Victorian-ish universe has a much different geography. The city in question has very few humans but a trio of children come to live with a rich AI robot some years after a revolution has taken place and the AI's have formed an independent kingdom/republic. I remember there are hundreds of human kingdoms not mentioned. I really want to look up the author to see if they wrote more of this universe! I can't remember the title or the author. I think there was also a nanny character. Your help would be appreciated.

message 2: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (med0ra) | 436 comments Possibly in this. Galaxy: The Best of My Years Birthdays by Fred Saberhagen.

message 3: by Sir He-Man (new) - added it

Sir He-Man (rocketeer) | 9 comments Lisa wrote: "Possibly in this. Galaxy: The Best of My Years Birthdays by Fred Saberhagen."

No, that wasn't it. The story I'm thinking of is post 2000, I'm pretty sure.

message 4: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39287 comments Mod
Bumping since Joe posted recently.

message 5: by Sir He-Man (new) - added it

Sir He-Man (rocketeer) | 9 comments I finally remembered it came from a Rich Horton anthology. It took me years to get the title.

The Governess and the Lobster by Margaret Ronald from the Year's Best Science Fiction and Fantasy 2013 ed. by Rich Horton.

I suddenly remembered what the cover looked like. Isn't that weird?

message 6: by Sir He-Man (new) - added it

Sir He-Man (rocketeer) | 9 comments I...just realized how weird it is that you bumped this and the story has "Lobster" in the title. That's indescribably weirdly coincidental!

message 7: by Kris (new)

Kris | 35128 comments Mod
Glad you found your book, Joe. Here's the link - The Year's Best Science Fiction & Fantasy, 2013 edited by Rich Horton.

message 8: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39287 comments Mod
::Twilight Zone music::