YA Buddy Readers' Corner ♥ discussion

The Gunslinger (The Dark Tower, #1)
This topic is about The Gunslinger
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives > The Dark Tower series by Stephen King - Starting June 1st 2017

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Sarah Elizabeth (bookworm_sarah) | 84071 comments Mod
Beginning with a short story appearing in The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction in 1978, the publication of Stephen King's epic work of fantasy -- what he considers to be a single long novel and his magnum opus -- has spanned a quarter of a century.

Set in a world of extraordinary circumstances, filled with stunning visual imagery and unforgettable characters, The Dark Tower series is King's most visionary feat of storytelling, a magical mix of science fiction, fantasy, and horror that may well be his crowning achievement.

Book I
In The Gunslinger (originally published in 1982), King introduces his most enigmatic hero, Roland Deschain of Gilead, the Last Gunslinger. He is a haunting, solitary figure at first, on a mysterious quest through a desolate world that eerily mirrors our own. Pursuing the man in black, an evil being who can bring the dead back to life, Roland is a good man who seems to leave nothing but death in his wake.

This new edition of The Gunslinger has been revised and expanded throughout by King, with new story material, in addition to a new introduction and foreword. It also includes four full-color illustrations in the hardcover and trade paperback formats.

message 2: by Maddie (last edited Jun 01, 2017 04:03AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 47351 comments Mod
Gunslinger, Chapter 4. So this is weird... The language is quite complex, and I really feel like we're missing something. I mean, who's the (view spoiler) Maybe it's meant to be a mystery, but it feels wrong XD

message 3: by Maddie (last edited Jun 01, 2017 04:42PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Gunslinger, Chapter 6. It's kind of reminding me of the show Westworld. I loved that show! (view spoiler)

Gunslinger, Chapter 7 (view spoiler)

Gunslinger, Chapter 12 (view spoiler)

End of Gunslinger (view spoiler)

Justine Hull | 7 comments Maddison wrote: "End of Gunslinger [spoilers removed]"
I just finished this book and I had to reread several sections of it to fully grasp what was going on.

By the way when I say 'end of Gunslinger', I just meant end of that section. There's multiple sections of the book. Sorry for the confusion.

The Gunslinger (The Dark Tower, #1) by Stephen King Way Station, Chapter 5 (view spoiler)

The Gunslinger (The Dark Tower, #1) by Stephen King Way Station, Chapter 12 (view spoiler)

The Gunslinger (The Dark Tower, #1) by Stephen King The Oracle and the Mountains, Chapter 4 (view spoiler)

Sure can :D We'd love to have you!! Read my spoilers when you get to them and update if you want XD This is definitely a book we can discuss. Pretty complex.

No worries! Btw we aren't exactly reading this fast, as you can see :p It's definitely not taking priority right now.

Yeah that's what I thought/think too. Still not sure.

Assuming you're on the first part still Myriam?

(view spoiler)

Made the whole part useless, especially as I was having trouble differentiating the characters.

From where I'm up to so far, it starts getting explained (I think) and then it goes away from the explanation so I'm even more confused XD

It'll be an interesting movie.

Not up to there yet.

Alright reading a few more pages now. Up to 70%.

The Gunslinger (The Dark Tower, #1) by Stephen King The Slow Mutants, Chapter 8 (view spoiler)

Picking this one up again finally. Hoping to finish tomorrow if not tonight.

The Gunslinger (The Dark Tower, #1) by Stephen King Finished The Slow Mutants (view spoiler)

The Gunslinger (The Dark Tower, #1) by Stephen King Finished (view spoiler)

The Gunslinger (The Dark Tower, #1) by Stephen King Review: So I finally finished this book after 2 months, and I just want to say what the heck did I just read. That made no sense. I'm so much more confused now than I was when I started. I was really excited to read this series, but this book left me with soooo much to be desired! I have no idea what's going on. The complex language, the descriptive paragraphs, the theories. The imagination and comprehension and focus needed for this book is pretty crazy. It actually might just be me that thinks this, but I know I was really confused, and half of this book was pointless. The only thing that I feel I understood was (view spoiler) I swear that's it. I mean, (view spoiler) So yeah, sorry for that rant in that spoiler. Pretty crazy. Not too keen to continue, but I shall, seeing as I bought them and I want to see if this makes any more sense. Just sucks because the books get longer (I think up to like 900 pages at some point....) That'll be the day...

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.