Reading 1001 discussion

The Call of the Wild
This topic is about The Call of the Wild
1001 book reviews > The Call of the Wild

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Beverly (zippymom) | 95 comments The Call of the Wild by Jack London by Jack London
3 stars

Read by Jeff Daniels, who did an awesome job, this adventure story is told from the perspective of a dog who becomes a sled dog in the Yukon. He starts out as a rather pampered dog, going where ever he wants whenever he wants. When is big enough to be sold to work in the reins of a sled, Buck has to learn how to survive in this new environment. Not unlike learning to get along with our coworkers, he learns the hierarchy that he must operate within on a daily basis. As his skill and confidence grow he becomes a leader for his owner and team.

Daisey | 228 comments It has been a long time since I read this, so I wanted to revisit it before checking it off the list. It was chosen as my TBR challenge book for June, as well as being on my Randomized list.

I enjoyed this book as much or more than the first time I read it. I had forgotten just how violent the story was, but I loved the characterization of Buck. The description of the setting and the events of Buck's life completely captured my attention.

Tatjana JP | 277 comments Main character of this adventure novel is Buck - a shepherd/Bernardine dog. The story follows his adventures as a sledge dog in Alaska and Canada. The main themes are the laws of nature - protecting yourself, survival of those who are strong and smart, adaptation and leadership. It is also a story of humankind, their cruelty, stupidity or humanity towards animals and natural laws.
My rating: 3 stars

message 4: by Zeejane (last edited Sep 01, 2021 04:02AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Zeejane I listened to the audiobook, narrated by William Dufris. This was a re-read for me, the first time being many years ago back in high school. I enjoyed listening to this tale again, Jack London is a very good writer and his detailed descriptions really brings the reader into the story. The protagonist, Buck, was well fleshed out and endearing, and the world building was both raw and beautiful.

Dufris does a good job narrating and this gave the story another layer of depth.

Overall-a good, quick read-4 stars