Navigating Indieworld Discussing All Things Indie discussion

The Writing Process > When are you most creative?

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Eldon (new)

Eldon Farrell | 285 comments Does anyone have a specific time of day where they're most creative? I tend to write my best stuff first thing in the morning.

Any one else?

message 2: by Amy (new)

Amy Hamilton | 2560 comments I'll say morning because I'm less tired. If I write too late or do anything book related too late in the day I don't sleep well.

message 3: by Theodore (new)

Theodore Cohen (theodorejeromecohen) | 1417 comments I definitely love the mornings and the late evenings...when everything and everybody is quiet.

message 4: by Alex (new)

Alex Carver | 4626 comments I don't have a best time, I write when I feel the urge, but I do tend to get most of my work done in the morning, simply so I can get other stuff done with the rest of my day.

message 5: by Carole (new)

Carole P. Roman | 4587 comments Mod
Time of the day for writing doesn't matter, but I will say the ideas take shape just when I wake up. I usually mull them over all day and get to write late at night.

message 6: by Anna (new)

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) | 1117 comments Actually doing the writing? Best time is morning and then early evening. Useless in the afternoon.

Creating and plotting - when exercising.

message 7: by Isaac (new)

Isaac Alder | 20 comments My day job takes up a lot of time, so really I can only write during the evenings. Which is fine by me! The dark suits me (plus it's easier to go a couple of hours without distraction).

But my ideas come to me all throughout the day. Which can be... frustrating. Like when I'm at work, exercising, out with friends, sleeping, etc. I'm sure most of you can relate.

message 8: by Eldon (new)

Eldon Farrell | 285 comments Isaac wrote: "My day job takes up a lot of time, so really I can only write during the evenings. Which is fine by me! The dark suits me (plus it's easier to go a couple of hours without distraction).

But my ide..."

I can relate Isaac :)

message 9: by Bill (new)

Bill (bill_eckel) | 30 comments Morning is best for me. I wake up (hopefully well-rested) and seem to have greater focus and clarity. My subconscious has done its thing all night long and is ready to spill out after that first cup of coffee.

I find too many distractions in the afternoon and evenings.

message 10: by Ellis (new)

Ellis Knox (sknox) | 22 comments I don't have a time of day. What I do know, and it sounds like others here are saying the same thing, is that interruptions kill creativity. It doesn't matter whether the interruption comes from outside or is self-inflicted, it's the writing equivalent of taking your eye off the ball. When it happens, I can't just pick up again. I need to step out of the box, take a few practice swings, get my head back into the moment again. Let those interruptions pile up, and I'm done for the day.

message 11: by Isaac (new)

Isaac Alder | 20 comments Ellis wrote: "I don't have a time of day. What I do know, and it sounds like others here are saying the same thing, is that interruptions kill creativity. It doesn't matter whether the interruption comes from ou..."

Also yes. Sometimes you just have to make a little writing cave where nobody and nothing can bother you. Then you emerge several hours later, pale-skinned and hunched over, displaying a stack of manuscript pages while hissing, "I made this!"

message 12: by Ellis (new)

Ellis Knox (sknox) | 22 comments I would, but I excel at interrupting myself, when all others fail. Including posting at Goodreads! There is today's editing. It's to my left, all marked up and read for revision. And here I am, artfully dodging, stealing time from myself. I do, however, manage pale-skinned and hunched over quite well.

message 13: by Anna (new)

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) | 1117 comments I agree, Ellis, with pretty much all you've said. I write historical novels and if the telephone rings it pitches me right out of the game, or I start a new game like catching up on Goodreads and the best one is to declare a tea break.

Strangely, my landline handset sits right next to my desk and has now gone dead - tee hee. I suppose I ought to get a new one. Sigh. Mobile? Yeah, but I can hide that.

message 14: by Denise (new)

Denise Baer I feel it more in the mornings, but it's the other things and procrastination that usually ruin the opportunity. Some day I'll get my act together.

message 15: by Ellis (new)

Ellis Knox (sknox) | 22 comments I hate that my concentration is so easily broken. I picture my creativity as Dug the dog in the movie Up.

Squirrel!

I want my Muse to be a long-distance runner, with steely eyes and ropes for muscles. Alas, she's more like a Southern belle who swoons when overheated, agitated, or simply for effect.

message 16: by Carole (new)

Carole P. Roman | 4587 comments Mod
hahahah

message 17: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 244 comments When I'm sad I'm a creative mastermind. Normally? If my mind is clear for ideas I usually try to think of some at night because thats when they make the most sense.

message 18: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Drawe | 30 comments Morning-ish. I definitely tend to write best when the house is empty and quiet, which is generally between 9-4

Navigating Indieworld Discussing All Things Indie

unread topics | mark unread