Precious Cargo: My Year of Driving the Kids on School Bus 3077
This topic is about Precious Cargo
Precious Cargo > Final Thoughts

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by SCPL (new) - added it

SCPL (st_catharines_public_library) | 542 comments Mod
Hello everyone!

I hope you enjoyed reading Precious Cargo by Craig Davidson this month.

What did you think of the book overall?

What will you take away from it, if anything?

Is there anything else you would like to say about the book?

Thank you for reading the book and sharing your thoughts. We look forward to discussing June’s book club pick: The Unmade Bed by Stephen Marche.

Thanks!

~Nicole~

Nancy Docherty | 15 comments Hi Nicole,

I liked the book by Craig Davidson overall, hearing how he got great joy from driving kids with special needs and became an advocate for them. It was interesting to see how he had no previous experience with people with special needs and how he became very close to the kids on his bus and how they helped him become a better person. He said, if I remember correctly, that they helped him be able to write again. To me that is amazing! What I didn't like is how he had " The Seekers" novel interspersed among the book only to be explained at the end of the book. I felt that it made the book hard for me to get through and ruined the flow of the book for me. Other than that, I felt the book was very heartwarming and a good read.
Nancy Docherty

message 3: by SCPL (new) - added it

SCPL (st_catharines_public_library) | 542 comments Mod
Hi Nancy,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts!

I also enjoyed reading about Craig's journey with the students and the friendships he formed, with Jake in particular.

Thanks for mentioning "The Seekers". I didn't look forward to reading those chapters either. I wonder if Craig was trying demonstrate that people with special needs can be the heroes of a story? Craig and Jake enjoyed telling fantastical stories and I wonder if that also inspired "The Seekers"? Regardless of the intention, I don't think those chapters worked particularly well. I wanted to get back to the students and Craig's experiences as a bus driver.

I also found the book very heartwarming. Thank you for sharing your thoughts Nancy!

~Nicole~