Lincoln Parish Library discussion

Reading Challenges > June 2017 Reading Challenge: Summer Reading Bonanza

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rebecca (last edited May 30, 2017 09:53AM) (new)

Rebecca | 215 comments It is my favorite time of the year, dear readers…Summer Reading!!!! I look forward to Summer Reading all year long. Often I hear from patrons that they thought summer reading was just for kids, but here at LPL, adults have their own special game too complete with prizes, programs, and a deep sense of accomplishment. This is a great way to encourage the family to read as a whole by turning it into a mini family competition. It’s also a wonderful way to convey to the young people in your life that reading is important and that you value it as an activity. If you’re not already signed up for Summer Reading, don’t delay head on to the library today!

In keeping with this year’s theme of Build a Better World: Recycle, Reduce, & Reuse, this month’s challenge is to read a book where the environment plays a central role. This can go a number of routes. You can read a nonfiction title about the natural world and different environmental impacts or one on natural history or a travelogue (Wild is an example). You can go the fictional route with an eco-dystopia (Oryx & Crake is a good example of this), a tale of a conservation effort, or a tale about the intersections of humanity and nature. The possibilities are endless! And we can work your challenge pick into your summer reading game too!

I’ve not quite decided what I’m going to read for this challenge, but it’ll be either Borne by Jeff VanderMeer or Astrophysics for People in a Hurry. Both of which I’ll borrow digitally from the library!

Borne by Jeff VanderMeer or Astrophysics for People in a Hurry by Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let us know what your reading, how you like it, and stop in to get your Adult Summer Reading Game Board stamped!

message 2: by Mara (new)

Mara | 14 comments On my way with an accidental re-read of The Postcard by Beverly Lewis. An accidental Recycling!

The Postcard

Used the Overdrive app and listened to the audio on my phone.