Support for Indie Authors discussion

SIA Investigate > First time Website Launchers Beware

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by JKA (new)

JKA Short | 4 comments Hi all,

Just felt the need to post this for people who might just be starting to make an author website. When you buy a domain with your name/pen name, the spammer/scanners descend on you like vultures, offering services from established companies (while not addressing you professionally or listing their companies...hoax much?).

I recently bought my own domain through weebly, and I have had no less than 20 emails and two phone calls (one of which was very antagonistic) trying to sell me some service. All of them have been from India. Advice? spam and block them all. The only services you want are the ones you research and inquire for yourselves.

Just be careful.

Much love and good luck on your writing journeys.

J.K.A. Short

Sam (Rescue Dog Mom, Writer, Hugger) (sammydogs) | 968 comments Yikes! Is there a way to block a phone number on your cell phone? Thank you. Hugs

message 3: by JKA (new)

JKA Short | 4 comments Haha,

It gets worse. I have had 8 calls today from Indian 'companies wanting to sell me something.' Also, MAJOR WARNING:
I had a call from The Do Not Call Register claiming they know about abusive calls and will block them for me. All they need is my updated card information. I IMMEDIATELY called the registers customer contact number and the guy confirmed that this is indeed a scam. Crickey. Update vulture status to a bunch of hungry hyenas!

Be very wary people. Unfortunately there are snakes out there and all they want is to sell you snake oil!

J.K.A. Short

message 4: by R. (new)

R. Billing (r_billing) | 228 comments I find the short, sharp response works with scammers, as in "Keep talking, I haven't had a good laugh all day."

message 5: by Brian (new)

Brian McMickle | 17 comments You can register for no spam via phone and that will help. I'm not familiar with weebly. I've been using Hover and haven't had any problems. I've also used GoDaddy in the past and no trouble there either.

https://www.donotcall.gov/

Sam (Rescue Dog Mom, Writer, Hugger) (sammydogs) | 968 comments R. wrote: "I find the short, sharp response works with scammers, as in "Keep talking, I haven't had a good laugh all day.""

LOL! Thank you! Hugs

Sam (Rescue Dog Mom, Writer, Hugger) (sammydogs) | 968 comments Brian wrote: "You can register for no spam via phone and that will help. I'm not familiar with weebly. I've been using Hover and haven't had any problems. I've also used GoDaddy in the past and no trouble there wither..."

Thank you for this helpful link! Hugs

message 8: by J C (new)

J C Steel (jcsteel) J.K.A. wrote: "Hi all,

Just felt the need to post this for people who might just be starting to make an author website. When you buy a domain with your name/pen name, the spammer/scanners descend on you like vul..."

Not sure how helpful this will be (I went via GoDaddy and Wrodpress), but you can optionally have your registration details hidden from the public. You have to pay (of course) but it wasn't pocketbook-killing amounts. I've had zero spam from India or anywhere else :)

Sam (Rescue Dog Mom, Writer, Hugger) (sammydogs) | 968 comments J.C. wrote: "J.K.A. wrote: "Not sure how helpful this will be (I went via GoDaddy and Wrodpress), but you can optionally have your registration details hidden from the public. You have to pay (of course) but it wasn't pocketbook-killing amounts. I've had zero spam from India or anywhere else :) ..."

Well, J.C. I can tell you that information is very helpful and I appreciate you sharing it. Hugs : )

message 10: by Marie Silk (new)

Marie Silk | 606 comments Ugh that is awful. I got a domain through godaddy and haven't had the phone calls but one day when I checked my spam folder, there were plenty of scam emails.

Sam (Rescue Dog Mom, Writer, Hugger) (sammydogs) | 968 comments Marie Silk wrote: "Ugh that is awful. I got a domain through godaddy and haven't had the phone calls but one day when I checked my spam folder, there were plenty of scam emails."

Ick. I wish there was a way to stop this, but am glad those types of emails are diverted away from your inbox to where they belong. Hugs

message 12: by Sabetha (new)

Sabetha (aconitecafe) | 2 comments When we register ours we use the app called Sideline and get a "fake" number to register with. Then within the app you can turn off notifications so you don't have to get the actual calls. Registering for a State Sales tax number was the worst for spam calls and emails.

Sam (Rescue Dog Mom, Writer, Hugger) (sammydogs) | 968 comments Sabetha wrote: "Registering for a State Sales tax number was the worst for spam calls and emails...."

I figured you'd be safe doing that! How horrible! Thanks for the warning. Hugs

message 14: by Christina (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) Sabetha wrote: "Registering for a State Sales tax number was the worst for spam calls and emails. "

Yes. This was the reason I decided to close my business account almost as soon as I opened it. Did not appreciate having 30 calls a day before I even got my sales and use certificate.

Sam (Rescue Dog Mom, Writer, Hugger) (sammydogs) | 968 comments Christina wrote: "Yes. This was the reason I decided to close my business account almost as soon as I opened it. Did not appreciate having 30 calls a day before I even got my sales and use certificate. ..."

That's just plain wrong, Christina. The government is the last place one should encounter SPAM and such. Sorry. Hugs

message 16: by Christina (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) That's the problem with living in a state where everything is public record.

message 17: by JKA (new)

JKA Short | 4 comments Im grateful for every one who made the effort to reply. I posted it to help others, but also its affecting my business. Gonna give some of this advice a try. Cheers and stay safe!

J.K.A. Short