Brantford Public Library's Online Book Club discussion

The One-in-a-Million Boy
This topic is about The One-in-a-Million Boy
The One-in-a-Million Boy > Many Different Friendships

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Brantford Public Library | 453 comments Mod
Throughout the novel there are many different friendships: Ona and the boy, Ona and Quinn, Quinn and Belle, Ona and Louise, etc. Did any of these friendships particularly stand out to you? What about each of these friendships made them unique? How did each of these friendships help the people involved? Did any of the friendships have a negative effect on the characters? Did any of the friendships help the characters grow?

The friendship between Ona and the boy is a remarkable one, especially given the age difference. Did the bond that the two of them shared surprise you? Have you ever had a friendship like Ona and the boy?

❀ Susan G (susanayearofbooksblogcom) | 50 comments I loved the generational friendships throughout the story. What remarkable stories to share when telling tales of the past. Other than Ona and the boy, I think Quinn and Ona stood out. He started out by helping her, yet in the end she helped him to understand and appreciate the love for his son.

Anna (iudita) | 450 comments ❀ Susan wrote: "I loved the generational friendships throughout the story. What remarkable stories to share when telling tales of the past. Other than Ona and the boy, I think Quinn and Ona stood out. He started o..."

I also liked the friendship between Quinn and Ona. She had a very therapeutic effect on him.

In regard to the relationship between Ona and the boy...they were both unique special people and I think they both needed someone who was able to accept them for who they were. They were a perfect fit for each other.

Karen (karen1278) | 428 comments I was thrilled that Ona and Loise became friends. Throughout the book I felt the boy was the most remarkable of the the characters but reflecting back on the story you realize how central Ona is to all the people as well. She is the person needing physical assistance with household chores and that's how she meets all the other characters. But, in the end she helps all of them emotionally and spiritually.