Vaginal Fantasy Book Club discussion

Writing and Self-Promotion > How To Write Diversity When You Have None

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cassie (new)

Cassie Banks | 7 comments Is there a place where you can find people to help you navigate diversity issues? I'm trying to set the supporting characters in my book, but with stereotyping being such an issue today I'd prefer to have some type of discussion to make sure I'm not launching my character's stories inappropriately.

Any ideas on how to accomplish authenticity when you don't have direct contact with the diversity you want to write about? Many thanks to anyone who can point me in the right direction.

message 2: by Ada (new)

Ada I don't know if this will help but it does explain a lot what not to do:
Writing with Color: Description Guide.

Also an excellent source for research is this blog that ''showcase works of art from European history that feature People of Color.''. Not exactly a helping tool for writing POC when you're not but it gives a background in how to challenge your view on the world you weren't even aware of.

And at last this blogpost that hit me right in the guts. And I'm not american nor white but it gave me understanding that translates in every culture I think: HOW I DISCOVERED I AM WHITE

Hope this helps and happy writing!

message 3: by Cassie (new)

Cassie Banks | 7 comments Thanks for the response. I'll check it out. :)

message 4: by Allyson (new)

Allyson (allysonemachate) Beta readers can be great for this kind of thing. I don't have a specific group to recommend but there are several on Goodreads and you may find some also on Facebook Groups (search for "beta readers" and "free reads" to start). Ask for readers who match or resemble the characters you wish to portray--be clear that you're specifically looking for feedback on authenticity and perspective for these characters in order to attract readers who are willing to sincerely help you with these things vs just offering story feedback. You might also seek out existing narratives (fiction and nonfiction) written by people from the ethnic groups you're interested in portraying. Consider it research ;-) Good luck!