New Canadian Library and other Canadian Lit Challenge discussion

This Side Jordan
This topic is about This Side Jordan
Monthy Book Discussions > This Side Jordan

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Tracey (traceyrb) | 237 comments Mod
Please post here if you intend to read and discuss or just review this book.

message 2: by Rosemarie (new) - added it

Rosemarie | 195 comments I read this book many years ago and don't plan to reread it. I have just finished one of the very few Margaret Laurence books I hadn't read, The Prophet's Camel Bell. I wrote a review and comments in my challenge thread.

Rosemarie wrote: "I read this book many years ago and don't plan to reread it. I have just finished one of the very few Margaret Laurence books I hadn't read, The Prophet's Camel Bell. I wrote a review and comments ..."

Did you do a review of This side Jordan?

message 4: by Rosemarie (new) - added it

Rosemarie | 195 comments I read it over twenty years ago, so I don't remember that much, only that it is different from her Manawaka books and well written, as all her works are.

I didn't know what to expect with this book but I loved it. Laurence seemed to be almost prophetic in her writing about the 'Africanization' of colonial Africa. This book is concerned with the time period leading up to the independence of Ghana after being a British colony. The thoughts and feelings of the British as they were being replaced and those of the Ghanaians was most interesting.

message 6: by Rosemarie (new) - added it

Rosemarie | 195 comments In the 80s I read all of Margaret Laurence's books that were available in the libraries of St. Albert and Regina. She shows in her books that every person has a story to tell.

Rosemarie wrote: "In the 80s I read all of Margaret Laurence's books that were available in the libraries of St. Albert and Regina. She shows in her books that every person has a story to tell."

I like your review of this author; makes me want to read her other works :)