The Heart of Mid-Lothian > week 6: Chapter 32-37 end of volume 3

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (traceyrb) | 319 comments Mod
Post here

message 2: by Tracey (new)

1. What is your opinion of George Staunton aka Robertson, after this week's reading?

2. What attraction could he have to 2 young women who were both seduced by him?

3. What do you think happened to Effie's baby and Madge's?

message 3: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 270 comments Mod
I am sure George was a very smooth talker always used to getting his own way, with little thoughts for others. I am sure he was also very charming and good looking, so the two girls didn't stand a chance. I think Effie is much weaker than Jeanie, and much more self-centred. She would have been flattered by the attentions of George.
George seemed to act first and then think later. He seduced the two girls and never showed any concern about possible children until after it was much too late. Instead of regretting his actions, he never should have done them in the first place.
I have very bad feelings about the two babies. I think they had very short lives.

message 4: by Tracey (new)

Rosemarie wrote: "I am sure George was a very smooth talker always used to getting his own way, with little thoughts for others. I am sure he was also very charming and good looking, so the two girls didn't stand a ..."

I think in the story it says that he could be charming and generous when he wants and at other times selfish and thoughtless.

message 5: by Tracey (new)

At the close of this week's reading Jeanie meets Queen Caroline. From the story what is your opinion of the Queen?

http://royalcentral.co.uk/blogs/the-w...

Do you think Scott portrayed her well using the above as a reference?

message 6: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 270 comments Mod
The Queen impressed me during the encounter with Jeanie. At first Caroline was hesitant to grant her wish but Jeanie succeeded in convincing her. The money in the sewing kit was a nice touch.

message 7: by Tracey (new)

Rosemarie wrote: "The Queen impressed me during the encounter with Jeanie. At first Caroline was hesitant to grant her wish but Jeanie succeeded in convincing her. The money in the sewing kit was a nice touch."

From what I understand she was a remarkable sovereign and like all that are such, was capable of learning and adapting according to the needs of her people and country.