Navigating Indieworld Discussing All Things Indie discussion

The Iceman: The True Story of a Cold-Blooded Killer
This topic is about The Iceman
The Writing Process > The Two Worse Words a Writer Can Use

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Theodore (last edited May 28, 2017 07:22AM) (new)

Theodore Cohen (theodorejeromecohen) | 1417 comments I was thinking this morning about Anthony Bruno (He wrote The Iceman, among many other fine books.) He was my wife's step-brother-in-law and a damn good crime/mystery writer to boot. He died way before his time, on August 28, 2014, leaving behind a beautiful wife and daughter...and his blog, which every aspiring writer should read.

It matters not which genre piques your interest; Bruno, as he liked to be called, had something to say about everything. And today, as I was looking through his many blog entries, I stumbled upon this one, which I commend to your attention:

https://anthonybruno.net/2014/06/06/2...

This piece struck a chord with me because the two words he mentions happen to be two I find myself using from time to time in my own writing. They are terrible! And yet they sneak in like a thief in the night, stealing the quality from my efforts. See if you don't agree they are the worst!

I think you will enjoy what he had to say.

message 2: by Theodore (new)

Theodore Cohen (theodorejeromecohen) | 1417 comments Theodore wrote: "I was thinking this morning about Anthony Bruno (He wrote The Iceman, among many other fine books.) He was my wife's step-brother-in-law and a damn good crime/mystery writer to boot. He died way be..."

There are lots of "bad" words.

In speaking, don't you just love people who begin a sentence with:

"So, blah, blah, blah."?

I'm getting old. (;>)

Roughseasinthemed | 27 comments Interesting post. I worked on a book recently and found myself editing out 'just' and 'now'. Superfluous text.

message 4: by Carrie (new)

Carrie D. Miller (carriedmiller) | 89 comments I agree with him on 'suddenly'. I try to stay away from it. But I have a problem with 'just' and end up editing most of its use out. I think 'now' has its uses, but as he mentions, it all depends on how it's used. Good article.

message 5: by Theodore (new)

Theodore Cohen (theodorejeromecohen) | 1417 comments Carrie wrote: "I agree with him on 'suddenly'. I try to stay away from it. But I have a problem with 'just' and end up editing most of its use out. I think 'now' has its uses, but as he mentions, it all depends o..."

Thanks, Carrie.

I love to "play" with words. And the English language is so robust!

message 6: by Carole (new)

Carole P. Roman | 4600 comments Mod
Great post. Guilty of all of them- Makes you want to go back and pull in the work and redo it.

Makes me wonder what the heck all those editors were doing if they read our work- why didn't they suggest we take them out??

message 7: by Theodore (new)

Theodore Cohen (theodorejeromecohen) | 1417 comments Carole wrote: "Great post. Guilty of all of them- Makes you want to go back and pull in the work and redo it.

Makes me wonder what the heck all those editors were doing if they read our work- why didn't they su..."

LOL Good point. That may be why some are our "erstwhile" editors.

message 8: by Mary Ellen (new)

Mary Ellen Woods (maryellen_woods) | 76 comments If human editors aren't catching those words try ProWritingAid. It taught me my overused words...just is my downfall. I ran a 92,000 word manuscript through PWA and went down to 89,000 just (lol) by eliminating such words.

message 9: by Theodore (new)

Theodore Cohen (theodorejeromecohen) | 1417 comments Mary Ellen wrote: "If human editors aren't catching those words try ProWritingAid. It taught me my overused words...just is my downfall. I ran a 92,000 word manuscript through PWA and went down to 89,000 just (lol) b..."

Interesting!

message 10: by Theodore (new)

Theodore Cohen (theodorejeromecohen) | 1417 comments R. wrote: "I personally allow myself at least two "suddenly's" per manuscript. It's a word after all, and a useful one at that."

I can understand that, especially in a children's book.

message 11: by Ellis (new)

Ellis Knox (sknox) | 22 comments Good thread. I agree wrt editors. I'm thinking of using a draft rather than a final version to send off to prospective editors for their free evaluation. If they do not jump all over "just" and "suddenly" and "now" then they don't pass the test.

message 12: by Eldon (new)

Eldon Farrell | 285 comments "That" tends to be another useless word in most cases.

message 13: by Eldon (new)

Eldon Farrell | 285 comments Mary Ellen wrote: "If human editors aren't catching those words try ProWritingAid. It taught me my overused words...just is my downfall. I ran a 92,000 word manuscript through PWA and went down to 89,000 just (lol) b..."

I'm a fellow believer in ProWriting Aid...it's well worth the investment :)

message 14: by Theodore (new)

Theodore Cohen (theodorejeromecohen) | 1417 comments Eldon wrote: ""That" tends to be another useless word in most cases."

That often is true...though there are exceptions. (;>)

message 15: by Eldon (new)

Eldon Farrell | 285 comments Theodore wrote: "Eldon wrote: ""That" tends to be another useless word in most cases."

That often is true...though there are exceptions. (;>)"

How true!

message 16: by Amy (new)

Amy Hamilton | 2560 comments I have a cull list. It's part of my editing process.

message 17: by Alex (new)

Alex Carver | 4626 comments Eldon wrote: ""That" tends to be another useless word in most cases."

'That' is one word I have been doing quite well at eliminating, I believe I've cut usage of it by over 50%, now if only I could do the same for other words.

message 18: by Eldon (new)

Eldon Farrell | 285 comments Alex wrote: "Eldon wrote: ""That" tends to be another useless word in most cases."

'That' is one word I have been doing quite well at eliminating, I believe I've cut usage of it by over 50%, now if only I coul..."

ProWriting Aid could help you achieve that ;)

Navigating Indieworld Discussing All Things Indie

unread topics | mark unread