Romance Writers & Readers discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archived > Help needed on Look Inside

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mary Ellen (last edited May 28, 2017 06:09AM) (new)

Mary Ellen Woods (maryellen_woods) | 163 comments When I checked my look inside feature on my e-book it was totally screwed up. Font was huge and different sizes all over. It was center justified and looks awful. I previewed it on Amazon and on my own Kindle app and it looked fine. The paperback look inside is perfect.

Has anyone else experienced this and if so how did you fix it? I'm desperate since this may put off readers and potentially cost me downloads besides making me look like an idiot who doesn't know how to format a book.

message 2: by Annie, The Mistress (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) | 2365 comments Mod
Yeppers, I've had this before. The Look Inside appears to be tripping on acid, eh? ^_~

For reals, though, it was pretty funny cuz I hopped on the phone with KDP Support and the girl was like, "WTF?" haha! Anyhoo, it's a glitch on their end, not ours. The only option you really have is to reupload the same file again, which "resets" it. Mine actually fixed itself but yeah, you can try to electroshock it with a republish.

Sorry that ain't more help! Best of luck!!

Hugs,
Ann

message 3: by Mary Ellen (new)

Mary Ellen Woods (maryellen_woods) | 163 comments I contacted amazon about it and got an email a few minutes ago. They assured me it was their problem and my book was downloading correctly. They said they would fix it. I don't want to reupload since I'm in the middle of a free promo but if it isn't fixed by them I'll try it. Thanks though since it is nice to know I'm not the one tripping...at least not about this...lol!

message 4: by Annie, The Mistress (new)

You are not alone. ^_~

Yeah, the girl said that they would fix it for me too but the tech team doesn't work weekends and, well, patience is not a virtue of mine LOL

Not saying you should reupload but should you ever choose to, it doesn't affect the free promo at all. Literally, it'll switch over and nobody would be the wiser...

*evil cackle for no reason*

message 5: by Mary Ellen (new)

Mary Ellen Woods (maryellen_woods) | 163 comments Right, I was thinking it would take the book offline but you are right...it doesn't affect that. It is still available...not thinking...maybe I am tripping a lil'

message 6: by Annie, The Mistress (new)

Gotta take it easy on those brownies I baked for ya, Miss Mary! Told ya they were speshul XP

On a serious note, I noticed that the Look Inside lags a bit when updating. Like, the book will publish and the description will change (if I've tweaked it) but the Look Inside typically takes an extra day or so to change over. Not sure tho. Could just be my luck haha!

message 7: by Mary Ellen (new)

Mary Ellen Woods (maryellen_woods) | 163 comments Them brownies tasted funny now that I think of it...

I'm sure there is a lag, so I'll give it a little while.

message 8: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Sharpe (abigailsharpe) | 118 comments Interesting info. Thanks for sharing.

message 9: by Ember-Raine, The Lady (new)

Ember-Raine Winters (ember-raine_winters) | 688 comments Mod
Mistress Ann are you making dark side sweets again? You remember what happened last time!! *shakes head in dismay*

Sorry Miss Mary I don't have anything to contribute but comic relief! Lol! Sounds like you're getting it fixed up tho!

message 10: by Mary Ellen (new)

Mary Ellen Woods (maryellen_woods) | 163 comments Thanks for the laugh Ember.

message 11: by Ember-Raine, The Lady (new)

Ember-Raine Winters (ember-raine_winters) | 688 comments Mod
You're welcome! Anytime!

message 12: by Mary Ellen (new)

Mary Ellen Woods (maryellen_woods) | 163 comments Update - Got a really weird email this morning from an Amazon manager whose command of English was clearly not good. All it said was basically sorry you are having a problem.

Good news is that the formatting errors have disappeared and it now is the way it was supposed to be. I have no idea if they corrected it or it self-corrected like was suggested above.

Just irks me it happened during a promotion. I'm guessing I might have lost some downloads because of it if people checked and saw how screwed up it was.

message 13: by Annie, The Mistress (new)

Sorry for the bad timing, Miss Mary! Honestly, I think most readers just 1-click free books if the cover interests them sooo *fingers crossed* ^_~

Serious note: Lots of the KDP support team resides in Costa Rica but the actual tech team is situated in their US HQ. Seattle, I'm quite positive, but I'd have to double-check. Anyhoo, no idea why I'm sharing this. Umm...

Hooray, it's fixed!! ^_^

message 14: by Mary Ellen (last edited May 29, 2017 03:12PM) (new)

Mary Ellen Woods (maryellen_woods) | 163 comments I suspect you are right based on my own behavior. If it's free I just read the description and one click it. If it costs me then I'll do the sample if I'm on the fence.

Right...fixed...Woot!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.