The Obelisk Gate (The Broken Earth, #2)
This topic is about The Obelisk Gate
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > The Obelisk Gate [August 2017]

Comments Showing 1-50 of 93 (93 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 5 stars

Scott  Hitchcock (lostinthewarrenofchaos) | 8082 comments Mod
Schedule TBD

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6215 comments got it.

message 3: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 5 stars

August 26th start.

message 4: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new)

Angela | 3540 comments Mod
Just a reminder that buddy read starts for this book on 26th August.

Hacen | 883 comments I'm in!

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3496 comments I'll be joining this one too. I might need to skim the ending of the first book to refresh my memory.

Mayim de Vries | 2892 comments Just finished re-reading today but will be joining for the discussion!

Seán | 602 comments About to start the first book and am hoping to be ready for this on the 26th. I skimmed the prologue of The Fifth Season and basically put all my other reading on hold to dive into this series.

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1769 comments I am rereading today. Forgot most of it since last year, and I want to experience The Stone Sky to the fullest.

Seán | 602 comments Finished The Fifth Season tonight and am gonna hop straight into this tomorrow - I can't help myself!

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3496 comments The first book is being developed for TV!

http://deadline.com/2017/08/nk-jemisi...

message 12: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 5 stars

Veronica wrote: "The first book is being developed for TV!

http://deadline.com/2017/08/nk-jemisi..."

I saw this as well. Interesting if they pull it off.

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3496 comments Yes. I'm excited and wary at the same time. lol

Mayim de Vries | 2892 comments Veronica wrote: "Yes. I'm excited and wary at the same time. lol"

Ditto! I really do not want to be heartbroken.

message 15: by Raika (new)

Raika | 6 comments What book is it about?

message 16: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 5 stars

Raika wrote: "What book is it about?"

Read book one first to find out. :)

The Fifth Season

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6215 comments I am eagerly waiting for this one. It seems to go into the category: "love or hate books", judging from the reviews and I'm curious where I fit in.
I didn't particularly enjoy the second person narration in the first book but it was nicely balanced with the rest. If this whole second book concentrates mostly on that...

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6215 comments meaning our buddy read for the second book guys. Not the movie. 😅 Though that would be interesting to watch also.

message 19: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 5 stars

Laura wrote: "I am eagerly waiting for this one. It seems to go into the category: "love or hate books", judging from the reviews and I'm curious where I fit in.
I didn't particularly enjoy the second person nar..."

Yes an entire book from that perspective might be too much. However even those who didn't like this book loved the 3rd so I'll press on even if I'm in the hate category.

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6215 comments oh. I'll stick on too. :) I'm already curious about how everything turns out in the end. :D

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1769 comments I ended up giving it five stars, previously four. Essun in Nastrima is no longer boring and in fact has become my fave parts. Seriously, this reread really helps.

If The Stone Sky gets 5 star too, The Broken Earth will be the first fantasy trilogy I read with all 5 star books. (Well, after LoTR but I have not reread them for more than a decade, so it could/is likely to change)

Mayim de Vries | 2892 comments It is all five stars for me and I also found out that reread helps because the things that previously escaped my attention or deemed irrelevant turned out to be extremely relevant later on. No detail is pointless and some reverberate up until the final pages of the Stone Sky. Happy reading Silvana!

Robyn-Lee Samuels (thewritespace) | 26 comments My copy of The Obelisk Gate arrived today... I'm really looking forward to delving into it.

Seán | 602 comments I just finished up, with my review here.

Four-stars overall - it's definitely a middle book in a trilogy, but the quality is still high. I have a feeling I'll enjoy a re-read of this more, once I've finished the final book.

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3496 comments Starting this a few hours early. I didn't have a chance to reread the first book so I was a little rusty at first. I just finished chapter six and I'm feeling more settled now as things start to come back to me.

(view spoiler)

message 26: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 5 stars

The book picked right up where the other one left off and I've really liked it so far.

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6215 comments I'm starting it tonight also.

Mayim de Vries | 2892 comments Veronica wrote: "Starting this a few hours early. I didn't have a chance to reread the first book so I was a little rusty at first. I just finished chapter six and I'm feeling more settled now as things start to co..."

I'm on your team!

you guys mind me here for discussions?

message 29: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mayim wrote: "you guys mind me here for discussions? "

Always welcome.

I have to say the second person present tense hasn't affected me at all this time around. Once you're used to it there's a flow like any other perspective.

Hacen | 883 comments Veronica wrote: "Starting this a few hours early. I didn't have a chance to reread the first book so I was a little rusty at first. I just finished chapter six and I'm feeling more settled now as things start to co..."

I feel the same about the daughter

message 31: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 5 stars

I feel compassion for Nassun. She's just a child and has been through so much. I want her to ice her father.

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3496 comments Just finished chapter 15 and I'm really not feeling any sympathy for Nassun now (view spoiler)

I do like Essun's relationship with Alabaster. It started off very antagonistic because they were forced on each other but it's evolved in a very sweet, tough love, kind of way. It's not romantic...more familial.

I really need to know more about the stone eaters. I picture them like the Weeping Angels in Doctor Who. :-)

And I'm still confused about the obelisks.

message 33: by John (new) - rated it 5 stars

John | 37 comments Just started tonight, and the first chapter is just heart breaking.

message 34: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 5 stars

Veronica wrote: "And I'm still confused about the obelisks."

In which regard? (view spoiler)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3496 comments That's as good an explanation as any, Scott, thanks. I guess I'm just wanting more specifics about the Hows and Whys than I am likely to get since the history of it all seems to have been lost to time and even those old enough (view spoiler) can't seem to remember clearly anymore.

Was it explained in the first book what's happening to Alasbaster - (view spoiler)?

Seán | 602 comments Veronica wrote: "I really need to know more about the stone eaters. I picture them like the Weeping Angels in Doctor Who. :-)"

Exactly my thoughts! I think the Jemisin really gets across how creepy and strange they are with how she writes them.

With Nassun, I think you've just got to remind yourself how young she is and how fucked her childhood has been. I thought I'd grow tired of her chapters as they went on, but I enjoyed them till the end.

Mayim de Vries | 2892 comments Seán wrote: "Veronica wrote: "I really need to know more about the stone eaters. I picture them like the Weeping Angels in Doctor Who. :-)"

Exactly my thoughts! I think the Jemisin really gets across how creep..."

Really, no. This is stillness after all so cosy is not an option. She had had a happy stable family and a house and a comm to belong. True, her mother was uncompromising when it comes to orogens training but Nassun is not a stupid thing and surely realises that it saved her life. Knowledge what to do with rogga is as common as the stone lore. I get that she did what she needed to do in order to survive when her father killed her brother. But her deep hatred against her mother? This I cannot fathom. She was not brought up with malice.

message 38: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 5 stars

Re Nassun

(view spoiler)

Mayim de Vries | 2892 comments Scott wrote: "Re Nassun

[spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

message 40: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 5 stars

Veronica wrote: "That's as good an explanation as any, Scott, thanks. I guess I'm just wanting more specifics about the Hows and Whys than I am likely to get since the history of it all seems to have been lost to t..."

(view spoiler)

message 41: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mayim wrote: "Scott wrote: "Re Nassun

[spoilers removed]"."

(view spoiler)

Mayim de Vries | 2892 comments Scott wrote: "Mayim wrote: "Scott wrote: "Re Nassun

[spoilers removed]"."

The Jewish kids is a good point but Nassun was raised halfway between that world and ours. Her comm was dangerous should her identity ..."

Actually, this is a very good point Scott, and I think I find it more compelling (view spoiler)

message 43: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mayim wrote: "Scott wrote: "Mayim wrote: "Scott wrote: "Re Nassun

[spoilers removed]"."

Yes I think they are more alike than Nassun would like to admit. My two eldest are 15 and 12.5 and they parrot things back to me that I would have said at their age. Sometimes that elicits a smile and other times a cringe.

Example "I don't know why they even bother teaching us that. When will I ever use that in life and what job will it help me get?"

UMmmm, I agree with you but as a parent feel I can't say that? :)

Seán | 602 comments I'll just respectfully disagree with you Mayim! I thought Jemisin wrote Nassun pretty well and her relationship with her Mother makes sense, giving her circumstances. Just my feelings on it though - I was particularly worried that this side of the story would fall flat as I'm pretty anxious when child characters are the focus, but thought Nassun's development was justified and made sense.

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6215 comments I am currently at chapter 9 as weekends for me involve more family time and less reading.
My feelings for Nassun are a little mixed right now:

(view spoiler)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6215 comments Seán wrote: "I'll just respectfully disagree with you Mayim! I thought Jemisin wrote Nassun pretty well and her relationship with her Mother makes sense, giving her circumstances. Just my feelings on it though ..."

I'm with you on this Sean. Even if I don't like what Nessun is turning into I understand why and it makes perfect sense.

Mayim de Vries | 2892 comments Laura wrote: "I am currently at chapter 9 as weekends for me involve more family time and less reading.
My feelings for Nassun are a little mixed right now:

Essun was forced to teach her child how to control or..."

Laura not only is Essun (view spoiler)

Sean, it is OK to disagree I wholeheartedly endorse plurality of opinions. Mind you, my reflections are really borne out of the whole trilogy; I felt differently after reading only books 1 and 2.

Seán | 602 comments Mayim wrote: Sean, it is OK to disagree I wholeheartedly endorse plurality of opinions. Mind you, my reflections are really borne out of the whole trilogy; I felt differently after reading only books 1 and 2.

Cool, I'll definitely keep that in mind and see if my thoughts after finishing The Stone Sky.

message 49: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mayim wrote: "She is a victim of circumstances more than anything else."

But couldn't the same be applied to Nassum? I think they're both beautifully flawed characters.

I'm done. Couldn't put it down. Damn but I should have trusted my instincts. (view spoiler)

Mayim de Vries | 2892 comments Scott wrote: "Mayim wrote: "She is a victim of circumstances more than anything else."

But couldn't the same be applied to Nassum? I think they're both beautifully flawed characters.

I'm done. Couldn't put it..."

I'm glad you liked it Scott!

Still, I feel like Nassum had been more cushioned than Essun. ;)

« previous 1