Horror Aficionados discussion

Let the Right One In
This topic is about Let the Right One In
Group Reads > June 2017 - Group Read #1 - Let the Right One In

Comments Showing 1-50 of 79 (79 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Bill (new) - added it

Bill (shiftyj1) | 4892 comments The winner for our June group read is “Let the Right One In” by John Ajvide Lindqvist

Let the Right One In by John Ajvide Lindqvist

Have fun. Please use spoiler tags.

Happy Reading!

message 2: by Nancy (last edited May 27, 2017 01:05PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Nancy (paper_addict) | 726 comments Whoo hoo!

Bryndís | 429 comments ELI & OSCAR <3

message 4: by David (new) - added it

David (davscomur) | 134 comments EXCELLENT!

Latasha (latasha513) | 10843 comments Mod
This is a great book but I'm not going to reread it. If my copy is lendable, I'll let anyone borrow it. I'll have to check when I get home.

message 6: by Kasia (last edited May 27, 2017 02:35PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kasia (kasia_s) | 3134 comments Mod
I didn't vote for it ( The Five was my pick this time) but I'm actually online now looking for a copy, hard to find in hardcover, I've wanted to read this for two years now, good timing.

edit - got my copy, can't wait to join in :)

Patrick Kiernan | 108 comments Can't wait to start this group read

message 8: by Nisar (new)

Nisar Masoom (nisarmasoom) Hell yeah!

Darnelle Martin | 5 comments Really love this book. Now I have an excuse to read it for the 5th time. YAY!!

message 10: by Alex (new) - rated it 3 stars

Alex (asato) i read it. the side story was a little distracting, but still a really good choice! i might chime in here and there.

Graeme Rodaughan I'm in the same boat as Alex. May re-read pending time commitments.

Maxine (Booklover Catlady) (booklovercatlady) | 39 comments This will be my first group read! Had this on my TBR list for ages. If anyone is shopping second hand paperbacks on eBay are cheaper than on Amazon. Picked up a copy in good condition for £2.81

message 13: by Alex (new) - rated it 3 stars

Alex (asato) Maxine wrote: "This will be my first group read! Had this on my TBR list for ages. If anyone is shopping second hand paperbacks on eBay are cheaper than on Amazon. Picked up a copy in good condition for £2.81"

great find!

sometimes i cruise my local used bookstore, but it's a little farther since i moved a year and a half ago.

message 14: by jb (new) - rated it 4 stars

jb Byrkit (jbbyrkit) | 2035 comments I read this quite a bit ago, but loved the story. Of course I loaned my copy out and it was never returned.

Graeme Rodaughan Bummer Jennbunny.

Graeme Rodaughan I thought the Swedish movie of this book was excellent too.

Bryndís | 429 comments Graeme Rodaughan wrote: "I thought the Swedish movie of this book was excellent too."

I agree!! My absolute favorite movie of all time! <3

Bryndís | 429 comments I found a copy in my library, so I can read it again! ^^

Graeme Rodaughan Bryndís wrote: "Graeme Rodaughan wrote: "I thought the Swedish movie of this book was excellent too."

I agree!! My absolute favorite movie of all time! <3"

Wow, that's a big call - you must have really loved it.

message 20: by jb (new) - rated it 4 stars

jb Byrkit (jbbyrkit) | 2035 comments I enjoyed the movie as well.

message 21: by Alex (new) - rated it 3 stars

Alex (asato) yeah, sounds like a story that would translate well to the screen. good amount of stunning visual horror and truly reprehensible characters.

Darnelle Martin wrote: "Really love this book. Now I have an excuse to read it for the 5th time. YAY!!"

5th! I like that.

Andrew Mcgrath | 157 comments Loved the book and loved the original movie. I did not see the American remake. Also really enjoyed the follow up - Let the Old Dreams Die by John Ajvide Lindqvist

Nancy (paper_addict) | 726 comments I started this today.

I'm starting it today when I get home, my copy arrived last night so I'm looking forward to discussing.

Also Happy Friday :)

k

Nickronomicon | 156 comments I've read to about the halfway point (I started a little early) and I just can't get into it. It feels like it isn't going anywhere. Somebody farther along give me some encouragement. It has received such high praise, I feel like I'm missing something.

message 27: by Alex (new) - rated it 3 stars

Alex (asato) If you are bored with the "local drunkards" side story (I was), you could skim those parts.

message 28: by Greg (last edited Jun 02, 2017 12:09PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Greg | 1651 comments Nickronomicon wrote: "I've read to about the halfway point (I started a little early) and I just can't get into it. It feels like it isn't going anywhere. Somebody farther along give me some encouragement. It has receiv..."

If I remember correctly, the story should pick up very soon now so I'd hang in there.

A friend gave me the Swedish film on DVD but I haven't watched it yet because I had hoped to see it one night with friends but they weren't into watching a horror at the time....

I liked both version of the movie.

message 30: by Greg (new) - rated it 4 stars

Greg | 1651 comments Latasha wrote: "I liked both version of the movie."

I wouldn't mind seeing the American version too but maybe not so soon after the Swedish one.

Bryndís | 429 comments starting at night seems apropiate for this one, no?
(It's nighttime in The Netherlands now)
here we gooo!😊

Bryndís wrote: "starting at night seems apropiate for this one, no?
(It's nighttime in The Netherlands now)
here we gooo!😊"

Im starting now too, cheers.

The American one is ok, it's good.

Nancy (paper_addict) | 726 comments I am halfway. I hope we learn more about (view spoiler)

message 35: by Greg (new) - rated it 4 stars

Greg | 1651 comments Latasha wrote: "The American one is ok, it's good."

That's good to hear! That makes two good movies to look forward to! :)

Bryndís | 429 comments approximatly 50 pages in (but I read the Dutch translation,so not really sure if that's the same place in you version.
Already love it again! writing is intresting, story is weird but also a little relatable.
The "forgetting how to be cold" is sich a original take on Eli.
love this story!

Badseedgirl | 602 comments Hey guys I read this one a couple months ago, so I am skipping this month, but I am going to follow the thread to see what everyone else thinks.

Graeme Rodaughan I really love (view spoiler)

Bryndís | 429 comments spoiler end part 1, starting part 2 tomorrow =)
(view spoiler)

Cassie (cassie_carnage) | 1 comments Such a good book!

Andrew Mcgrath | 157 comments I truly enjoyed the book and it's short story follow up - Let the Old Dreams Die by John Ajvide Lindqvist .

message 42: by Greg (new) - rated it 4 stars

Greg | 1651 comments Andrew wrote: "I truly enjoyed the book and it's short story follow up - Let the Old Dreams Die by John Ajvide Lindqvist."

I didn't know there was a short story follow-up. Where is it published?

message 43: by Lena (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lena | 2425 comments Some parts are very hard to read and stayed with me too long but overall I liked it.

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Andrew Mcgrath | 157 comments Greg wrote: "Andrew wrote: "I truly enjoyed the book and it's short story follow up - Let the Old Dreams Die by John Ajvide Lindqvist."

I didn't know there was a short story follow-up. Where is it published?"

St. Martin's Press in 2013. It's a collection of short stories, also has the sequel to Handling the Undead by John Ajvide Lindqvist .

message 45: by Bryndís (last edited Jun 09, 2017 01:33PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bryndís | 429 comments ok, maybe not the question to ask on in horror group, but I'm interested, so I'm gonna do it anyway. Does anybody know anything about the Swedish education system? Because in the movie there's a scene where the teacher is reading and all the kids listen or do something for themselves and its such a relaxed atmosphere. I always really liked that. And now in the book they talk about activities in school that involve a "walking-group" and a "ice skating group". Do they do these kind of things a lot in school in Sweden?
I think that's so cool. Does somebody know more about it?

message 46: by Rafael (new) - added it

Rafael da Silva (morfindel) | 580 comments I know that in Scandinavia (Norway, Finland, Denmark and Sweden) they see the education with other eyes, they treat the students better than is usual in another countries. Theis education system it's more progressive.

Nancy (paper_addict) | 726 comments I enjoyed the book and I liked the relationship between Oskar and Eli. There were a few things though that need explaining. They just don't quite make sense.

Bryndís | 429 comments Nancy wrote: "I enjoyed the book and I liked the relationship between Oskar and Eli. There were a few things though that need explaining. They just don't quite make sense."

like?

message 49: by Greg (new) - rated it 4 stars

Greg | 1651 comments Andrew wrote: "Greg wrote: "Andrew wrote: "I truly enjoyed the book and it's short story follow up - Let the Old Dreams Die by John Ajvide Lindqvist."

I didn't know there was a short story follow-up. Where is it pub..."

Oh OK. I thought the book you highlighted in your original post was another copy of Let the Right One In (since Let the Old Dreams Die also starts with 'Let the'). Anyway, I'll be keeping an eye out for that collection. :)

Patrick Kiernan | 108 comments Just started this now

« previous 1