The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

SUMMER CHALLENGE 2017 > 30.14 - Brooke TX's Task: SRC v. SRC

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by SRC Moderator (last edited May 28, 2017 06:20PM) (new)

SRC Moderator | 4994 comments Mod
30.14 - Brooke TX's Task: SRC vs. SRC

Here on Goodreads, SRC may stand for Seasonal Reading Challenge, but at the library where I work it's the Summer Reading Club! Thus leading to much confusion for me, as I designed all our marketing materials and kept putting the wrong title on everything. So, since turnabout is fair play, I'm going to mix a little bit of "the other SRC" into this task.

For this task, you can read one or two books, but the total number of pages read must be at least 600. For the two book option, you can choose two different options or read two books that fulfill the same option. REQUIRED: State the option(s) you chose in your post.

Option 1: Kids, teens, adults - pretty much everyone participates in the Summer Reading Club for the prizes. Read a book by a single author whose first and last name initials can be found in the phrase "IN IT FOR THE BOOKS."

Option 2: For kids, winning a prize is pretty easy - they just fill out their reading logs. Every 15 minutes read gets them closer to the prize. Read a book with both a 1 and a 5 found in the first published year (e.g. 2015 or 1995).

Option 3: Teens actually have to do a little more work - they have to write a short review of the books they read, which probably explains why less of them get around to turning in their reading logs. The smart ones just use shortened versions of the book reports they had to write for school. Read a book from this Popular Book Report Books list. REQUIRED: State the page of the list on which your book is found.

Option 4: This year, the adult summer reading is actually the most fun! We designed a little mini SRC-esque challenge: 5 different bookmarks, each with 5 different challenge tasks, like "Read a biography" or "Read a book with a blue cover." Adults read their books, write the titles on their bookmarks, and return them to be entered in a grand prize drawing. Read a book by a single author whose first and last name initials can be found in "GRAND PRIZE WINNER".

message 2: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 1419 comments Reserved.

message 3: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 1419 comments Reserved.

message 4: by SRC Moderator (new)

SRC Moderator | 4994 comments Mod
This thread is now open.

message 5: by Terri FL (new)

Terri FL (territhemuse) | 527 comments I'm sure this might have been answered in a past thread somewhere, but, I couldn't find anything. I'm not sure how you count the 'de' in Simone de Beauvoir's name. I was hoping to use The Second Sex for option 1 and S & B are in the phrase. Would this work? Thanks!

message 6: by KSMary (new)

KSMary | 839 comments I found a book that will fit Option 1 - 1 book.
My Name Is Resolute by Nancy E. Turner - 608 pgs.

message 7: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 16396 comments Mod
Terri FL wrote: "I'm sure this might have been answered in a past thread somewhere, but, I couldn't find anything. I'm not sure how you count the 'de' in Simone de Beauvoir's name. I was hoping to use..."

see FAQs:
"A. If a task calls for author’s initials, what name do I use for the last initial?
While there are great variations in names, we work with the general rule that the author’s last name is the final word in the name that is preceded by a space. We realize that this may not be technically accurate in every case, but this is the default rule. Relational suffixes, such as Jr., III, etc. do not count as part of the name for SRC purposes."

message 8: by Terri FL (new)

Terri FL (territhemuse) | 527 comments Sandy wrote: "Terri FL wrote: "I'm sure this might have been answered in a past thread somewhere, but, I couldn't find anything. I'm not sure how you count the 'de' in Simone de Beauvoir's name. I ..."

Thanks Sandy, sorry I missed it! That's good for me as this will end up working as 1 book for the task rather than 2 as it is over 600 pages.