Hooray for Books and Reading discussion

Love Warrior > 3. Listening when struggling.

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carol (new)

Carol (cajonesdoa) | 690 comments Mod
3. On page 146 Glennon talks about bad ways to listen when someone is struggling (shover, comparer, fixer, reporter, victim, God rep). Have you had experience with any of these and can agree with Glennon? Did this open your eyes to something you have been in the past? Does this change the way you'll listen to help someone in the future?

message 2: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea | 562 comments Since this is the one question I submitted, I'll answer it.

I don't openly share when I'm struggling because I don't like to admit defeat. But I've seen fixers in my life with little things. And she's right, I don't want information on how they think I should fix it because I've either tried it, it's not right for me, or that's just not what I want to do in the situation. Telling me how to fix it doesn't help.

As for me, I saw myself as a comparer. I do tell people, "Oh I know this person who struggled with that, they did this. " So I need to do better at that.

I think most people who share their feelings this way just want a listening, sympathetic, validating listener. I know I can do better with this, but it's still hard to know what to say.

message 3: by Carol (new)

Carol (cajonesdoa) | 690 comments Mod
Often folks know if I'm not doing so hot, or if I know someone that might be able to help, perhaps I'll seek their help. I would feel bad if we all felt like we were victims. A listening ear, helpful heart can make a true difference.

message 4: by Pam (new)

Pam | 218 comments I've known all these types and have been some of them too. I've learned over the years that most people just need a listening ear and an empathetic heart. I don't offer advice unless specifically asked.

message 5: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 522 comments This was the thing I'll most remember from this book. I don't share my problems often, but when I do I find it SO discouraging to be interrupted and told: "My cousin went through the same thing" or "Here's how to fix this". I don't mind a little advice, but only AFTER my friend has truly listened to me and offered sincere sympathy! That's what I want when I share - I want attention and sympathy. So - do I do this when others talk to me? I hope so. I'm going to try harder to be sure I do.

message 6: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea | 562 comments k, real question here. Since I'm totally a comparer, is there a time when that's ok to add about someone I know? Even at the dentist office I was doing it! She told me about her ivf and I shared my friends stories. But was she really coming to me struggling? I don't know. what do you think? Is there a time and place for "comparers" like me? I do it all the time!

message 7: by Cindy (last edited Jun 01, 2017 06:06PM) (new)

Cindy | 522 comments It doesn't really bother me if people do this - as long as they aren't interrupting MY story to start in on theirs. AND, as long as their attitude isn't, "yeah, bummer but that happens to everyone, but usually worse." I know a lady who does this. Everything anyone says - she's had it worse. (Classic "one-upper")
So - that's what I think, Chelsea. What do the rest of you think?

message 8: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea | 562 comments True, Cindy! One upping is never helpful, and neither is interrupting. Sometimes I like to hear about so and son's friend and how they handled a situation like mine. But if I'm venting and trying to get someone to listen, that's definitely not what I want to hear at the time. Thanks Cindy, that helps me.

message 9: by Angela (new)

Angela (angeladecker814) | 104 comments I've written a blog post or two (and read many others) about this on the topic of infertility. I think the safest option is to just ask someone what they want. Start off by just being a good listener, and then after you feel like you've done that for a good amount of time, if you have advice to offer or a situation they might be able to relate to, ask if they'd​ find it helpful if you shared it with them. I find if I do it like that, people are more appreciative and feel more at ease.

message 10: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea | 562 comments Angela, that's probably the good way to be a "fixer." Ask first and see if they even want advice. That way people who don't feel the listening ear when advice gets shoved at them on how to fix it can have a chance to say, "No I don't need any help. I've got it covered." At least then they know you're sensitive to their feelings during their difficult time.