Hooray for Books and Reading discussion

Love Warrior > 1. What are messages...

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carol (last edited May 26, 2017 11:52AM) (new)

Carol (cajonesdoa) | 690 comments Mod
By the time she graduates from high school, Glennon has come to see that there are hidden rules about how to matter as a girl (pages 30 and 187). What messages does our culture send out about what success should look and feel like for a woman? What are these messages? Where do they come from? What "hidden rules" did you follow, or feel pressured to follow, as a child or a teenager? How about now? How has following those rules affected your life?

message 2: by Carol (new)

Carol (cajonesdoa) | 690 comments Mod
I found that in our home growing up, our Mom really wanted my sister and I to act appropriately and like a lady. My sister was a lot more self adjusted to life than I ever was. She has always been more comfortable in her skin than I have. I was a VERY late bloomer in life, and it took me a little longer to figure out who I wanted to be. I developed greatly with different careers, and callings in Church activities I had that helped in many ways. I remember the time in my life when I actually said that I like who I am and who I have become. That was a great day. Doesn't last forever, but was wonderful while things were good.

message 3: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea | 562 comments Is this a repeat of question 4? My answer is there.

message 4: by Pam (new)

Pam | 218 comments Like Carol, I was a late bloomer. My younger sister was way cooler than I was in high school, but I came into my own in my early 20s. I have always had a strong sense of myself. I always thought that came from my parents because they were strong supporters of everything I did. I was encouraged to set goals, work hard and achieve. I did that and have always been pretty good at anything I tried (except maybe art and singing). I learned early on that beauty got you places, that I got attention because of how I looked, that I could get things because of how I looked. That has always bugged me and I have consciously tried to never use that - except maybe to get out of a speeding ticket . . . . :) I don't get near the attention I used to, probably because I'm 60. :) Having said all that, having a 'representative' show up sounds bazaar. Is that really true? Feeling that who you are isn't good enough or interesting enough makes me sad.

My daughter graduates from HS on Tuesday, we were looking through her yearbook together and saw that the seniors had an opportunity to leave a quote - how do you want to be remembered? I was surprised how many boys and girls said 'I probably won't be remembered'. :(