What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Victorian gothic, an orphaned girl is raised in London by a hunchback? later she goes to America. [s]

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Detta (new)

Detta The narrator visits a creepy old mansion and the old man living there relays the heroine's story to him. IIRC the book was named after the heroine.

message 2: by Kris (new)

Kris | 34381 comments Mod
Detta, around what year did you read this book?

Is this book for young adults (teens) or older adults?

What are the orphaned girl's feelings towards the man who raised her? Who do they live alone? Is romance a main theme ?

message 3: by Detta (last edited May 26, 2017 01:51PM) (new)

Detta I read it in the early or mid 2000s I think. I have no idea if it was written by a contemporary author or if it was an older work. It was probably for adults and not a romance. The man who raises the girl is her parental figure.

The girl later gets entangled in the American revolutionary war. (view spoiler)

I also remembered, the narrator meets the man who raised the girl inside the creepy mansion where the story is narrated to him. (view spoiler)

message 4: by Detta (last edited May 26, 2017 02:13PM) (new)

Detta Ooh, I found it! The title is "Martha Peake". Turns out the story was a bit different from what I remembered of it.

I will move this thread to solved.

message 5: by Kris (new)

Kris | 34381 comments Mod
Great! Glad you found your book, Detta. Here's the link - Martha Peake: A Novel of the Revolution by Patrick McGrath.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Martha Peake: A Novel of the Revolution (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Patrick McGrath (other topics)