Books on the Nightstand discussion

General chat > Any way to (legally) get books that aren't published in the US?

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Katherine (new)

Katherine (katsikes) | 171 comments Apologies if this has already been covered on these chat boards before - I did look through and didn't see anything.

I saw what looked like a killer book when I was in Ireland recently ( What She Never Told Me by Kate McQuaile ) but didn't get it. (I am now kicking myself.) Now that I'm back home, I can't find it anywhere.

Anyone know of a legal way to get a book in the States that doesn't appear to be published over here yet? And ideally that doesn't involve Amazon?

message 2: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandikal) | 89 comments I know you don't want to use Amazon, but several third-party sellers have it available through them Amazon itself doesn't have it.

message 3: by Chris (new)

Chris Wolak (chriswolak) | 22 comments I use Book Depository, which is, alas, owned by Amazon, but shipping is free. On a few occasions, I've ordered directly from the publisher and/or bookstore in the country of origin.

message 4: by Carol (new)

Carol (ckubala) | 552 comments Mod
As Chris said it is available at Book Depository.

Abebooks is showing a copy from Better World Books at $1 plus shipping from UK $3.99

and also on Abebooks

Second City Books, Aurora, IL at $6.17, shipping free

I also see it available at a few places via the Alibris website. It is available from Better World Books UK, Halcyon Books, London

message 5: by Katherine (new)

Katherine (katsikes) | 171 comments Thanks, everyone, for the suggestions! I think I'll try going direct to the publisher first. I would really rather not go through Amazon - I still use audible, but I don't use them otherwise for a number of reasons.

message 6: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 60 comments Abebooks and Second City Books are viable options if you're trying to avoid Amazon. Also, my local bookstore is able to order books in for me from other countries. You could check with yours and see if they do.

message 7: by Ruthiella (new)

Ruthiella | 3 comments Abebooks is also owned by Amazon, in case that is an issue for any one.

message 8: by Katherine (new)

Katherine (katsikes) | 171 comments Hannah wrote: "Abebooks and Second City Books are viable options if you're trying to avoid Amazon. Also, my local bookstore is able to order books in for me from other countries. You could check with yours and se..." I don't have a good local bookstore, only B&N, and they won't (or can't) order it for me. But you all have given me lots of other ideas to try :)

message 9: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (bdegar) Katherine wrote: "Apologies if this has already been covered on these chat boards before - I did look through and didn't see anything.

I saw what looked like a killer book when I was in Ireland recently ([bookcove..."

Kennys in Galway is a family owned independent bookstore - free worldwide shipping and great customer service. If you can't find it on their website (it happens to me sometimes) email them to ask about the book. You can choose $$ when lookig for the price and paying - I usually pay using Paypal -
www.kennys.ie

message 10: by Katherine (new)

Katherine (katsikes) | 171 comments Barbara - thank you so much!! :)

message 11: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 60 comments Oh, Barbara, good to know for the future! Thanks!

message 12: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 60 comments Also thanks, Ruthiella; I didn't know that Abebooks and Amazon were connected!

message 13: by Carol (new)

Barbara wrote: "Katherine wrote: "Apologies if this has already been covered on these chat boards before - I did look through and didn't see anything.

I saw what looked like a killer book when I was in Ireland r..."

Great to know...

message 14: by Katherine (new)

Katherine (katsikes) | 171 comments Thank you again to all of you - I now have What She Never Told Me by Kate McQuaile AND Lying in Wait by Liz Nugent on order from Kennys - I have a feeling it will be dangerous knowing that they do free shipping... ;)

message 15: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (bdegar) Katherine wrote: "Barbara - thank you so much!! :)"

Katherine, Hannah and Carol, you're welcome.

message 16: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (bdegar) Katherine wrote: "Thank you again to all of you - I now have What She Never Told Me by Kate McQuaile AND Lying in Wait by Liz Nugent on order from Kenny's - I have a feeling it will be dangerous knowing th..."

Great to see you got what you were looking for!

message 17: by Carol (new)

Katherine wrote: "Thank you again to all of you - I now have What She Never Told Me by Kate McQuaile AND Lying in Wait by Liz Nugent on order from Kennys - I have a feeling it will be dangerous knowing th..."

Now I'll be waiting to hear how you liked both of these Katherine.